What's new

Change My Mind | Intensity = Better

GotsFancyPants

Roller Poster
IMO intense rides are more unique experiences (i305, Kumba, any RMC) than restrained rides that aim to be more comfortable (most B&Ms, Cheetah Hunt). I understand family coasters are important to a parks lineup but they won’t be in my top 10. However, recently I’ve been reading a lot of complaints of bat crazy intense coasters and a preference to tamer rides and wanted to hear what everyone thinks. Thanks!

Edward M

Strata Poster
I mean “intensity” is pretty vague. I assume you mean general positive and negative g-forces. In that case, more intensity is often better, but I also think there’s a certain point where it can get to be too much. I305, though it’s been 8 years since I rode it, and the Batman clones are examples of intense positive Gs sustained throughout most of the ride. On these kind of rides, I can black/grey out, and that’s a sensation I don’t like. I think they’re different from, say, Kumba or even X2 where the intense Gs are broken up into moments, not constant. Meanwhile, a ride like El Toro, Skyrush, or a typical RMC focuses pretty heavily on airtime and I love those rides to death. It really depends on the coaster and the variation in forces. The varied forces is one reason Steel Vengeance is so memorable. I doubt this changed your mind, but I don’t really wanna change your mind so. Ya.

GotsFancyPants

Roller Poster
By intensity I mean like head hurting ejector and blood in the feet positive gs is my idea of a good time. Great point though Edward, thanks.

sirloin

Roller Poster
Intensity is a huge determining factor in what makes a coaster great for me. Speed is also important, but I feel like it's the forcefulness of a roller coaster that really makes the experience. Otherwise, you may as well just be watching a POV. Forces turn rides into dynamic experiences and provide key sensations that keep things interesting.

For some examples, consider Steel Force and Mamba. You've got these enormous camelbacks early in the layouts, and yet there's barely any airtime over them. Sure, it's pretty awesome being up so high in the air, but if you're just meandering about, what's the point? Those second drops really aren't going to be that much better with the added height because you just experienced an even bigger drop just moments before off of the lift. Better to lower the height and really bring out the airtime (this was what Wild Thing at Valleyfair! got right, and it got it very right indeed). There are countless other examples, especially when it comes to positive g-forces, but I don't want to go into ramble mode.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
This is always an interesting Topic - and what always surprises me is how Intensity can be Subjective! You would have thought everyone experiences intensity and forces the same, but it's not the case, and it's amazing to witness a group of enthusiasts get off the same ride and have differing opinions ranging from 'that was too much' - to 'that was meh/forceless' - humans literally have vastly varying tolerances , so thats one thing!

I think I made a post back along about 'good rides - that where too intense, or that you didn't enjoy' - I can go on a really intense coaster, appreciate it as a GOOD coaster, but I can't admit to loving it or particularly enjoy it! I just don't like greying out or intense G's nor do I like rides with too much of a headachy 'roar' to them!

My favourite coasters are the ones that are Thrilling but fun, I love airtime machines and smooth transitions, I love speed, launches and (smooth) twistiness , they make me want to re-ride. If I've been on something that made me grey or white out - I'll likely be 'okay that....something' and I'll probably not ride it again that day! My type of coaster is one I come of laughing and buzzy and want to run round and do again! If I come off nauseous or 'jangled' - that'll be filed away for later.

Matt N

CF Legend
This is always an interesting Topic - and what always surprises me is how Intensity can be Subjective! You would have thought everyone experiences intensity and forces the same, but it's not the case, and it's amazing to witness a group of enthusiasts get off the same ride and have differing opinions ranging from 'that was too much' - to 'that was meh/forceless' - humans literally have vastly varying tolerances , so thats one thing!

I think I made a post back along about 'good rides - that where too intense, or that you didn't enjoy' - I can go on a really intense coaster, appreciate it as a GOOD coaster, but I can't admit to loving it or particularly enjoy it! I just don't like greying out or intense G's nor do I like rides with too much of a headachy 'roar' to them!

My favourite coasters are the ones that are Thrilling but fun, I love airtime machines and smooth transitions, I love speed, launches and (smooth) twistiness , they make me want to re-ride. If I've been on something that made me grey or white out - I'll likely be 'okay that....something' and I'll probably not ride it again that day! My type of coaster is one I come of laughing and buzzy and want to run round and do again! If I come off nauseous or 'jangled' - that'll be filed away for later.
I'm completely with you there! My favourite coasters are also the really fun and rerideable coasters; while I like intensity to a degree (e.g. I like B&M inverts' intensity), too much of it at once can have adverse effects on my enjoyment of the ride (e.g. Manta's pretzel loop. I'd also argue that SAW: The Ride is a little too intense to enjoy in parts.)

I also agree about intensity being subjective; for example, my top 2 coasters are Mako at SeaWorld Orlando and Icon at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Now I absolutely adore those rides, but someone who craves a more intensely forceful experience would likely rank them much lower.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Agree intensity is most often better, and I can't think of a coaster that would have been better had it been less forceful.

Having said that the comprehensive factor that makes a coaster great in my eyes is how dynamic it is. Just doing series of extreme back-to-back-to-back ejector hops sounds really cool, but adding some variety and unpredictable elements makes a ride stand out even more!

A word I actually heard quite a bit from professionals in the industry to advertise their products, dynamics can be used to describe both speed and intensity in a ride experience. It's the opposite of dull in a way :)