What's new

CF Speed Build Competition | Round 1 | Entries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Please use this thread to submit your entries before midnight (GMT) on the 24th January.

Screen grab a video containing off ride footage as well as a POV, then upload it to youtube and share it here. (Alternatively, as a last resort if your struggling to upload to youtube, send me a DM for my email address, email it to me, and I'll upload it.

I'll then update this message / thread with a poll, and further instructions for the voting members, so that a winner can be chosen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

As a reminder, since we're closing the other thread... Whenever I'm building I'll be on the CoasterForce Discord channel, probably late most (UK) evenings, if anybody wants to drop in, ask questions, share tips, or just have some company whilst building :) You can find the CF Discord here... https://discord.gg/Wdgc2cn And you'll find a handy guide to joining it here https://coasterforce.com/forums/threads/introducing-the-official-coasterforce-discord.42264/

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Entries so far...

@Matt N

Video -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1126270

-------------------------------------------------------------------

@Nicky Borrill

Video -

Entry Post - Not Complete

@FistedColossus

Video -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1126714

@Skyye

Video -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1126794

@Thecoasterrus

Video -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1126842

@Hixee

Video (on ride) -
Video (off ride) -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1126856

@Leon_K

Video -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1127279

@Rollercoaster David

Video -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1127401

@Niles
Video (on ride) -
Video (off ride) -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1127463

@HeartlineCoaster
Video -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1127572

@Kw6sTheater
Video -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1127599

@Archie
Video -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1127576

@VikingParrot
Video -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1127629

I think that's everyone. If you could please check your own status and links within this post to make sure I haven't made any mistakes, that would be very helpful, as this post will be used to form the backbone of the voting thread. :)

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Sadly the polls have to be set up when you create the thread. Just set up a new thread once we've recieved all the entries.

By way of an update - I've got a good 'nearly final' layout done now - just want to give it a few more passes to tweak some things, then I'll be adding supports. Not a clue if it's any good or not, but I quite like it. :p

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Sadly the polls have to be set up when you create the thread. Just set up a new thread once we've recieved all the entries.

By way of an update - I've got a good 'nearly final' layout done now - just want to give it a few more passes to tweak some things, then I'll be adding supports. Not a clue if it's any good or not, but I quite like it. :p
Ok no problem, I had a sneaky suspicion that might be the case.

I'm close with my layout too... It is 'complete' but it needs some trims, some reprofiling in places to get the negative G above -2.2 and lots of general smoothing. Me being me, I obviously went for lots of ejector, but I think -2.6 might be a little bit too strong!!!! The first drop also has a pullout with a very short burst of 5.8g, but I don't mind that, and with the profile of the drop I went for, I was expecting it, it will make sense when you see it...

Matt N

CF Legend
Just to clarify @Nicky Borrill, this week’s sole criteria are hyper coaster and 200-299ft height, right? I only ask because I’m about to start building my entry, and I just wanted to ensure that I was staying within the criteria before I started building.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Just to clarify @Nicky Borrill, this week’s sole criteria are hyper coaster and 200-299ft height, right? I only ask because I’m about to start building my entry, and I just wanted to ensure that I was staying within the criteria before I started building.
Steel and it also needs a lift hill. No wood and no launches. :)

Round 1 will be a hyper coaster.

Constrains are very open for this one, it basically just has to be a steel coaster with a lift hill between 200 and 299 feet... With or without inversions... Any manufacturer... This should be VERY interesting.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
So Nicky basically wants a traditional steel hyper here, although inversions are allowed?
Well... what does "traditional" mean? ;)

Lift hill, steel, 200-299ft. Anything else is up to you!

Matt N

CF Legend
OK, I know it's early, but I have an entry for Round 1 (the hyper coaster round). If this is too early, I'll happily delete my post and post it again at a later date.

Personally, I decided to take the brief of "hyper coaster" at face value and build a fairly traditional ride... I apologise if this path is a little bit Boring & Mundane for you guys, but I hope you like the layout I've concocted. I tried to keep the ride fairly traditional, but I have tried to integrate in some marginally more adventurous elements as well; my overall aim was "traditional with a twist". I was personally quite pleased with the layout I came up with.

So, without further ado, I present to you... Barnstormer 253, a B&M Hyper Coaster!
Barnstormer-253-Entrance.png

Barnstormer-253-Layout-Overview.png

Barnstormer-253-Splashdown.png

In terms of stats, they are as follows:
  • Height: As the name implies, 253ft
  • Drop: 246ft first drop at an 81 degree angle
  • Speed: 84mph
  • Length: 6,382ft (I may have gone a little overboard there... sorry)
  • Max Positive G-Force: 4.4G (attained entering turnaround)
  • Max Negative G-Force: -1.5G (attained going over speed hill)
  • Trains: 3 trains with 7 cars, making for 28 riders per train
  • Manufacturer: B&M
  • Model: Hyper Coaster
  • Theoretical Throughput: 1,559pph (using theoretical park time of 40 seconds for 28-rider B&M Hyper train), 1,660pph (recorded in-game using Dispatch Timer app)
For clarity, the g-force readings were obtained using the heatmap tool in PlanCo (the actual maximum spikes were 4.8G and -1.6G, but the heatmap only got 4.4G and -1.5G for forces logged for any discernable period).

In terms of elements, the ride has various airtime hills, a treble clef turnaround in the style of Fury's, various turns, and a Shambhala-style splashdown towards the end. I gave the ride a loose Western/farmyard aesthetic, as well as some landscaping around the queue and station area, to take the unthemed edge off slightly, but I haven't gone especially overboard.

I hope you guys like Barnstormer 253!
P.S. Here's a Steam Workshop link too, if you want to take a closer look at Barnstormer 253 for yourselves: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2715019123

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
OK, I know it's early, but I have an entry for Round 1 (the hyper coaster round). If this is too early, I'll happily delete my post and post it again at a later date.

Personally, I decided to take the brief of "hyper coaster" at face value and build a fairly traditional ride... I apologise if this path is a little bit Boring & Mundane for you guys, but I hope you like the layout I've concocted. I tried to keep the ride fairly traditional, but I have tried to integrate in some marginally more adventurous elements as well; my overall aim was "traditional with a twist". I was personally quite pleased with the layout I came up with.

So, without further ado, I present to you... Barnstormer 253, a B&M Hyper Coaster!
Barnstormer-253-Entrance.png

Barnstormer-253-Layout-Overview.png

Barnstormer-253-Splashdown.png

(I apologise for the video being in 360p at the time of post upload... YouTube is still processing it, so it might be available in sharper quality a bit later. Don't be misled by the lack of thumbnail; the video is watchable)
In terms of stats, they are as follows:
  • Height: As the name implies, 253ft
  • Drop: 246ft first drop at an 81 degree angle
  • Speed: 84mph
  • Length: 6,382ft (I may have gone a little overboard there... sorry)
  • Max Positive G-Force: 4.4G (attained entering turnaround)
  • Max Negative G-Force: -1.5G (attained going over speed hill)
  • Trains: 3 trains with 7 cars, making for 28 riders per train
  • Manufacturer: B&M
  • Model: Hyper Coaster
  • Theoretical Throughput: 1,559pph (using theoretical park time of 40 seconds for 28-rider B&M Hyper train), 1,660pph (recorded in-game using Dispatch Timer app)
For clarity, the g-force readings were obtained using the heatmap tool in PlanCo (the actual maximum spikes were 4.8G and -1.6G, but the heatmap only got 4.4G and -1.5G for forces logged for any discernable period).

In terms of elements, the ride has various airtime hills, a treble clef turnaround in the style of Fury's, various turns, and a Shambhala-style splashdown towards the end. I gave the ride a loose Western/farmyard aesthetic, as well as some landscaping around the queue and station area, to take the unthemed edge off slightly, but I haven't gone especially overboard.

I hope you guys like Barnstormer 253!
P.S. Here's a Steam Workshop link too, if you want to take a closer look at Barnstormer 253 for yourselves: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2715019123
that’s awesome matt, well done :)

For your information, the heatmap doesn’t show ‘peaks’ it just spaces out readings on each element, so whilst it might show -1.5 at a particular point, if you zoom in you’ll likely see that isn’t the strongest moment in that element.

Matt N

CF Legend
Ah OK, I never knew that; cheers @Nicky Borrill! I thought the heatmap was usually to show what the reading was over an element for any sustained period of time, as the readings never seem to show what the game lists as the highest recorded g-force? It seems to align with individual track pieces, anyway...

I tested the ride, and 4.8G and -1.6G were pulled for about a fraction of a second when I watched the readings at the side of a POV; not for any sustained period of time, for sure.

I appreciate the compliments, though; thanks all! Have you got any particular comments about what I've pulled off, if you've seen the video, or is commenting on people's creations not allowed until the voting stages?

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Ah OK, I never knew that; cheers @Nicky Borrill! I thought the heatmap was usually to show what the reading was over an element for any sustained period of time, as the readings never seem to show what the game lists as the highest recorded g-force? It seems to align with individual track pieces, anyway...

I tested the ride, and 4.8G and -1.6G were pulled for about a fraction of a second when I watched the readings at the side of a POV; not for any sustained period of time, for sure.

I appreciate the compliments, though; thanks all! Have you got any particular comments about what I've pulled off, if you've seen the video, or is commenting on people's creations not allowed until the voting stages?
Those forces sound great to me… You managed to create a B&M hyper with real ejector!!!

Mine pulls 5.8g for a split second. And I’ve got one ejector bunny hill near the end that pulls -2.1g!!!!

Matt N

CF Legend
Those forces sound great to me… You managed to create a B&M hyper with real ejector!!!

Mine pulls 5.8g for a split second. And I’ve got one ejector bunny hill near the end that pulls -2.1g!!!!
Wow, so if you're talking split second stuff, yours pulls another 1G more than mine in positives (mine is 4.8G, yours is 5.8G) and nearly 1/3 more in negatives (mine is -1.6G, yours is -2.1G)! I can imagine that's certainly an intense ride!

Out of interest, Nicky, what does your highest heatmap reading for each figure come out as? My highest heatmap reading is 4.4G for positives (attained in the turnaround), and -1.5G for negatives (attained over the speed hill). Only the speed hill on mine pulls above -1G for any sustained period; there are a few other hills where -1G is exceeded for brief moments (for instance, I think the first hill peaks briefly at -1.3G), but the highest reading I got for any sustained period on a particular non-speed hill was possibly bang on -1G at a push, or about -0.9G. I think they ranged between about -0.5G and about -0.9G, so not necessarily out of the ordinary for a B&M Hyper, even though the hills are all below 0G.

I should point out that every hill sustains negative g (below 0G) for the entire way over, however; the airtime never tapers back into positive g over a hill as far as I can see, which I was quite proud of! I'll admit I'm quite pleased with the first big parabolic hill in particular; I've managed to perfect an airtime hill building formula that sustains negative g's for about 5-6 seconds over a B&M Hyper's biggest hill!

Also, it would appear that the thumbnail for my video is now up, so the HD version should be available shortly!

Last edited:

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Damn, that looks nice. Now I feel obliged to add some scenery to my otherwise completed entry. I definitely picked the wrong game for that.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Wow, so if you're talking split second stuff, yours pulls another 1G more than mine in positives (mine is 4.8G, yours is 5.8G) and nearly 1/3 more in negatives (mine is -1.6G, yours is -2.1G)! I can imagine that's certainly an intense ride!

Out of interest, Nicky, what does your highest heatmap reading for each figure come out as? My highest heatmap reading is 4.4G for positives (attained in the turnaround), and -1.5G for negatives (attained over the speed hill). Only the speed hill on mine pulls above -1G for any sustained period; there are a few other hills where -1G is exceeded for brief moments (for instance, I think the first hill peaks briefly at -1.3G), but the highest reading I got for any sustained period on a particular non-speed hill was possibly bang on -1G at a push, or about -0.9G. I think they ranged between about -0.5G and about -0.9G, so not necessarily out of the ordinary for a B&M Hyper, even though the hills are all below 0G.

I should point out that every hill sustains negative g (below 0G) for the entire way over, however; the airtime never tapers back into positive g over a hill as far as I can see, which I was quite proud of! I'll admit I'm quite pleased with the first big parabolic hill in particular; I've managed to perfect an airtime hill building formula that sustains negative g's for about 5-6 seconds over a B&M Hyper's biggest hill!

Also, it would appear that the thumbnail for my video is now up, so the HD version should be available shortly!
Yep, I did some research and found that the dive in SA pulls (or pulled) just over 6g and the lowest negative I could find is Skyrush at -2.1 to -2.2g depending on source. So I was aiming to go as extreme as possible without exceeding these. It should be noted though, that the 4.8g is extremely brief, and probably wouldn't be noticed, it's such a small piece of track, and it's at the fastest point... The rest of the moments of positive G are mostly all around 3 to 4.5g, with one exception .

As for the heat map... Highest showing is a positive of 4.95g and a negative of -1.84

I don't mind sharing a screen shot of the heat map, as it's not to revealing... (I'm not ready to share the finished product yet, lots of bits I'm not happy with!)

As a Side note, it was bloody hard to get the stall to maintain as close to 0.00g as possible all the way over, and maintain some kind of smoothness in the transitions!!!! I'm still not entirely happy with that element, but have accepted it as 'done!'

heatmap.jpg

You've done really well with your parabolic hills... Stayed true to B&M's style, if not improved it with some ejector on top!!! You should be proud. :) I've gone the opposite way, whilst there are some flojector hills, of course, it's a hyper... They're mostly rapid transitions between positive and negative by design.

Matt N

CF Legend
Damn, that looks nice. Now I feel obliged to add some scenery to my otherwise completed entry. I definitely picked the wrong game for that.
Now correct me if I’m wrong @Nicky Borrill, but I don’t think scenery is actually being judged here, is it? I think it’s solely being judged on layout strength; I only threw in a sprinkle of landscaping because I wanted to make it look somewhat presentable for the guests I was opening the ride to, as well as for you guys. Scenery isn’t compulsory, by any stretch, and you don’t get marked down for it not being there!

Also, that layout looks nice from what I can ascertain, Nicky! Based on some of what I can see, I’m going to take a punt at it either being a Mack Hyper (Vector) or an RMC T-Rex (Basilisk), but I wouldn’t like to be sure.

Finally, Nicky; just for future reference, when a height limit is imposed, is that merely talking about height above ground, or does that also refer to height difference? (So for instance, could you dig a tunnel to give the ride a drop larger than the specified height range while sticking within the limits?)

Status
Not open for further replies.