What's new

Cedar Point | Steel Vengeance | RMC I-Box (Mean Streak Conversion)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Had the chance to quickly swing by the park yesterday as well. Focused my photos on where new track supports have gone in: we can now confirm the overbanked turn coming out of the lift hill turn around, and some off-axis turns coming out of the MCBR.
DSC_8402.jpg DSC_8404.jpg DSC_8408.jpg DSC_8410.jpg

Mack

Mega Poster
Well, the old Mean Streak was essentially a clockwise lap, a counter-clockwise lap, then another counter-clockwise lap where it just went totally bananas rushing through the understructure raging to the final brakes below everything. It looks like we're largely sticking to that overall clockwise counter clockwise counter clockwise. So I would expect the third lap to be more of a speed run and probably also interact with the first lap a bit. If it's like old MS it'll be hard to decipher from just the under structure what exactly they're gonna do. Also the old structure had a lot of steel reinforcement in those areas.

But despite being trimmed to hell and rough, the 3rd lap was, to me, what had the most personality and a very impish way of hiding surprise airtime hills, etc. I think there's gonna be a lot of trick track and crazy fun in that lap amplified by RMCs zany ability to do it smoothly.

Last edited:

codeman94

Mega Poster
After seeing some more footage of the bunny hill after the drop, I'm even more interested than ever about the first hill. They have to leave enough room to pull out of the drop at a comfortable g-force level, and I really don't see a lot of room for it. I tend to think 200ft, max. What goes up, must come down... then into a bunny hill in this case.

But since we're all convinced of 200+, maybe 218ft for the 2018 opening, the first drop is going likely going to be interesting in some fashion other than the obvious height and speed because of the space saving measures they'll need to take. Possible ways are 1.) a sharp summit like Goliath, 2.) An over 90 degree drop angle, 3.) both 4.) just leave it and pull crazy positive G's in the pull-out..

Last edited:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Only thing I know is; it's gonna have to be very steep to line up with the bottom drop bunny hill.

Picture just posted to Screamscape helps better depict the drop from the MCBR - looks like a trick-track drop.

db_2017_0515_MeanStreak13.jpg

amt5626

Roller Poster
In that same Screamscape update, you can also see some new ledgers along the bottom of the first drop. Likely for the final part of the third lap that goes back to the station? Could be looking at the mother of all head choppers at the bottom of the first drop by the looks of this.

Edit* Or my eyes are just deceiving me and these are just same ledgers after the MCBR.

IMG_8379.JPG

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
I am still amazed at RMC's creativity and willingness to build something extremely thrilling. I find headchoppers even scarier at high speed and that looks to be even more intimidating than El Toro's near misses :eek:

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Doubt it's going to be a "trick track" drop off the MCBR. The ledgers look slanted because the track is curving to the left while dropping. Take a look how slanted they are going up the first big hill and how the track isn't slanted, I'm fairly certain the same thing is happening here.

Sythe

Mega Poster
In that same Screamscape update, you can also see some new ledgers along the bottom of the first drop. Likely for the final part of the third lap that goes back to the station? Could be looking at the mother of all head choppers at the bottom of the first drop by the looks of this.

Edit* Or my eyes are just deceiving me and these are just same ledgers after the MCBR.

View attachment 1284
It's definitely the ledgers after the MCBR. If you look closely you can see maverick in the background.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Mack

Mega Poster
Yeah, it looks like they're really keeping the spirit of the original Mean Streak. Following the MCBR the original layout did this same thing; it exited and dove under the 1st & 3rd lap before making its third trip around. This is the opening of the third lap with that absurd headchopper (bear in mind, at that point it has not even reached the "true" start of the third lap. Still a full rotation around the course again to go). Mean Streak, through the roughness was amazing in how it just. Kept. Going. And I'm holding out hope that in true Mean Streak style, this will be the most insane high-speed, low to the ground, head-chopping, totally-bananas lap of the 3. If they keep the original MS style, the third lap will thread the needle between laps 1 and 2.

Also note, depending on fidelity, that's gonna be a double-headchopper out of the MCBR crossing under the first AND third passes.

Diagram of original MS for those unfamiliar. It was always kinda hard to tell what it was doing with that monstrous structure.
Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 15.59.50.jpg

Although I have to admit, before they started, I was kinda hoping for a stall inversion soaring the infield over the queues. But this is looking pretty delicious.

Last edited:

Ravensrulz

Roller Poster
I just found this on you tube.

States about 216 ft and over 80 mph which is about what those geometric guys had figured out thru math..

Mack

Mega Poster
Reviewing on-ride footage of MS, note that there are steel reinforcements on many areas of the support structure that look quite like the ledgers used by RMC and could be confused for new construction in sections. Not sure if those have been removed/replaced/etc.

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 03.47.30.png

codeman94

Mega Poster
I'm thinking this lift hill will be a major construction project, and that's why they haven't touched it yet. They'll be adding a lot of structure, and its easier to work round it while its minimal.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ That is looking more like a stall now to me, based on the positioning of the track as parallel to the ground.

Had a photo forwarded to me by a friend - source unknown. Showing more support advancement headed around the layout for a second pass after the MCBR. Looks like an s-bend airtime hill, similar to the one on Storm Chaser. @Hixee's favorite. :p
1.jpg