What's new

Cedar Point | Rougarou | Mantis Floorless Conversion

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: Cedar Point Mantis to Close October 19

^Just wanted to rip on Euro coasters for lacking any color uniqueness.

When will we get that rainbow colored ride with each track segment like every single kid did while playing RCT. The good ole days...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Cedar Point Mantis to Close October 19

Snoo said:
There will now be a reason to ride Mantis again. NO TRIM!

This is worth restating.

54565051.jpg

implode

Roller Poster
Wow. I had no idea Mantis was so universally hated. I never thought it was that bad, but then again that might be because I grew up with the Iron Wolf.

Darren B

Giga Poster
implode said:
Wow. I had no idea Mantis was so universally hated. I never thought it was that bad, but then again that might be because I grew up with the Iron Wolf.

It really isn't bad at all?

Either I got a lucky ride or Americans have a really low threshold, I'm really not sure.

Maverix

Mega Poster
While it certainly isn't the best ride in the park, or the best stand-up, it's not a bad ride. While the ride isn't very rough (just a little B&M rattle) the standing position isn't the most comfortable for a coaster. My biggest gripe with it is having shaky legs after riding it but that normally goes away on the walk over to Millennium.

That being said I still think that the conversion will make it a better ride and, at the very least, make the ride more popular with the public. With the (hopeful) removal of the trim on the first drop the first have of the ride should be plenty intense and a heck of a lot more fun.

therick311

Mega Poster
I'm actually going to miss it as Mantis. I enjoyed it just the way it was. It will probably be decent as a floorless though.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Darren B said:
implode said:

Either I got a lucky ride or Americans have a really low threshold, I'm really not sure.
Darren and Maverix are right - it was never that Mantis was bad, but more unpopular. This is true however with the B&M Stand-Up genre in general. To date, only 7 B&M Stand-Ups have ever been constructed; the lowest count of any B&M offerings (e.g. invert, floorless, etc.).

Let's be honest - it isn't the stand-up roller coaster that you stream to first when you visit an amusement park. Mantis gave a good ride, for a stand-up. Adding the floorless trains should boost the ride's draw, providing a more comfortable riding position (and hopefully less stacking due to quicker load times).

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Hyde said:
To date, only 7 B&M Stand-Ups have ever been constructed; the lowest count of any B&M offerings (e.g. invert, floorless, etc.).

Sitdowns? they only built 5 [/Pedantic]

While i understand why they are doing this it does make me sad. I liked the stand ups I've ridden. Although that doesnt included Mantis. I feel they are a dying breed and I have mixed emotions, kind of like the killing of old woodies to make new RMC's... they're good rides but it feels wrong

BBH

Giga Poster
Iron Wolf was absolute pants and I can't imagine this being much better, granted, I've never ridden it.

While I agree stand ups are a dying breed (I think everyone does), I don't think it's really that much of a loss. It's a cool concept but it just wasn't executed well.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
I have wished for a while they do this to all their stand-ups. For some reason, a lot of the best B&M layouts were made for the stand-ups, but they are ruined by, well, the weakness of the human knee and spine.

steel

Mega Poster
implode said:

Honestly I liked Iron Wolf more than Mantis. Iron Wolf was rough as hell but it at least didn't blast your knees the way the back half of Mantis does.

Neither of them is a big loss. The saddest thing here imo is the loss of the name Mantis, which I've always thought is one of the best coaster names out there. I will also really miss the bright, bold color scheme. The orange is going to crash terribly with Iron Dragon.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
IntaminToWin said:
I have wished for a while they do this to all their stand-ups. For some reason, a lot of the best B&M layouts were made for the stand-ups, but they are ruined by, well, the weakness of the human knee and spine.
An unfortunate reality however is that many of B&M's stand-up layouts exist at parks with floorless roller coasters. There are only three "big" B&M stand-up designs: Mantis, RR, and Green Lantern; yet only Mantis is at a park without a floorless roller coaster. Obviously could be done with small stand-up designs, though many agree that these smaller designs are rather good as stand-ups. (e.g. Georgia Scorcher)

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
Hyde said:
IntaminToWin said:
An unfortunate reality however is that many of B&M's stand-up layouts exist at parks with floorless roller coasters. There are only three "big" B&M stand-up designs: Mantis, RR, and Green Lantern; yet only Mantis is at a park without a floorless roller coaster. Obviously could be done with small stand-up designs, though many agree that these smaller designs are rather good as stand-ups. (e.g. Georgia Scorcher)

I would be completely fine with two floorless rides in one park. It is interesting that most every park, apparently, can only have one type of coaster, except woodies. They can have a dozen of those.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Think of it from a marketing perspective. It is tough to sell the same roller coaster twice to the public who is looking for unique thrill rides at the park. Yes, yes, CW and Carowinds have two B&M Hypers a piece; but even those are respective hyper and giga roller coasters.

For wooden roller coasters, parks will often have varied layouts (traditional out-and-back, twister, racing, etc.) which adds greater variety.

In this spirit, having two inverted roller coasters or two floorless roller coasters can be a bit difficult to market.

Ben

CF Legend
^Plus a lot of the parks that have multiple woodies added these in the 70s/80s/90s when there wasn't such a variety of choice or demand for variety.

It's rare (read; not unheard of) for a park to just add woodie after woodie now without mixing it up. Even Holiday World has stopped it.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Well, there are a few types of coasters that parks have multiple of(SFGAm had 3 inverts, V2, Batman, and Deja Vu at one point, and Kings Dominion has 3 launches).

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Ben

CF Legend
KD had four, which was insane.

They do all offer something different - one is an invert, one enclosed and one family. That's not too similar other than the way they pick up speed.

Same could be said for most parks with a few inverts, ones usually adult, one kiddie, maybe a shuttle. But then you have stupid parks that like La Ronde that have an SLC and a B&M and there's just no accounting for all stupidity. You can speak generally though, and generally two rides of the same type are hard to market. Does that mean we'll never see two Floorlesses in the same park? No. Does it make it unlikely and a bit silly if it does happen? Yes.

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
Hyde said:
Darren B said:
implode said:

Darren and Maverix are right - it was never that Mantis was bad, but more unpopular. This is true however with the B&M Stand-Up genre in general. To date, only 7 B&M Stand-Ups have ever been constructed; the lowest count of any B&M offerings (e.g. invert, floorless, etc.).

Let's be honest - it isn't the stand-up roller coaster that you stream to first when you visit an amusement park. Mantis gave a good ride, for a stand-up. Adding the floorless trains should boost the ride's draw, providing a more comfortable riding position (and hopefully less stacking due to quicker load times).
Riddler's Revenge was awesome, or at least it was when I rode it 12 years ago. Does it still stand out for a stand-up? No pun intended. But I never knew how they could have been that unpopular with something like Riddler in existence. It's like, comparable to what Alpengeist is for inverts.

A little more on topic, having ridden both Mantis and Riddler, I've always preferred the latter.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Riddler is still an amazing ride - one of my top favorite B&Ms. Hands down the best B&M stand-up out there.

However, Riddler is only one ride. Take a look at the rest of the B&M stand-ups; Mantis and Green Lantern are the only other two large stand-ups (both arguably good), followed by a slew of smaller layouts. One good ride will not save an entire genre.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Surprise!

Mantis is officially a thing of the past. Almost the entire ride has been repainted and the trains have been removed from the track. Since nobody took the time to share the newest blog post and the first video in the park's Rougarou Files series, here ya go...because updates:

https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog-article ... arou-Files

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On6XEto4CSo&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]