What's new

Cedar Point | "GateKeeper" | B&M Wingrider

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Wouldn't it be the "THORPEthingyPARK Inversion"?

Or did Thorpe stop using those pretentious, annoying big letters?

EDIT: Seems like it's not possible to write those words in all caps on CF through normal means. Great job, mods!

Oh, and by the way, this ride looks great. Finally a coaster that doesn't pretend to be something it isn't. It fullfills the promise of the name (yep, located at the gate), has no theme (and thus executes its themeing brilliantly) and tells no story. It's not supposed to be the scariest thing ever, or the world's best anything. It's a big, aesthetically pleasing coaster, and that's it. With all the "wannabe themed" rides, or even worse the IP rides that pop up all over the place, a generic coaster is actually quite refreshing. Very good, CP.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Pokemaniac said:
EDIT: Seems like it's not possible to write those words in all caps on CF through normal means. Great job, mods!

It was to stop people who demanded it should always and only ever be in all caps. I think they may have gone now, so I might rescind that one :lol:

marc

CF Legend
Re: Cedar Point | "Gatekeeper" | B&M Wingrider

Done a search for the press realise thing that Merlin were not happy about and found nothing at all.

Temleh

Mega Poster
From Thorpe Park Mania:

Hi, Thorpe Park Mania fans!

We hope you're all excited about the arrival of The Swarm. We're having great fun building up to its launch and we hope you are too!

We wanted to write a little message to you all following the news that Six Flags Great America will also be launching a winged rollercoaster next year very similar to The Swarm. Some of you may have noticed that when we say it's going to be very similar, it really is going to be VERY similar! When we set about designing and developing our winged coaster we had to make sure it had the Thorpe Park stamp on it. One of the ways we achieved this was by developing the unique inverted dive at the start of the ride that will be sure to kick-off your awesome apocalyptic flight in adrenaline-fuelled style! As you can imagine then, we were quite surprised to see that the new ride at Six Flags will also adopt the 'Thorpe Park Inversion'!

While we could be bitter about this, we would actually like to wish Six Flags Great America the best of luck with the 'Thorpe Park Inversion' and we hope that this is a start of things to come, that one day the 'Thorpe Park Inversion' will become famous in the rollercoaster world! We aim high!

Thanks again for all your support and we'll see you all at Fright Nights!

The Thorpe Park Team"

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Cedar Point |

marc said:
Done a search for the press realise thing that Merlin were not happy about and found nothing at all.
I seriously posted it one page ago.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

Snoo said:
That may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

You really can't expect a company to keep an awsome element to 1 ride.

Just sayin

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

bmac

Giga Poster
Hey Hyde, or anyone else who lives near Cedar Point. Do you know where the park stores its track before construction starts? Or would it not matter much since B&M's track factory isn't that far from the park and they can just ship it and assemble without waiting?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Everywhere.

Cedar Point has plenty of storage areas and warehouses, ranging from the empty field next to Breakers Express to extra parking space.

The track is indeed manufactured down near Cincinnati and is shipped up. I wouldn't expect to see track until late September, or whenever the manufacturer simply runs out of room to store track that has already been built.

I'll be keeping an eye out, and once they begin to appear will certainly try to provide photos.

Intricks

Strata Poster

The plant mear Cincinnatti doesnt have all to much "storage" space. If I remember correctly, the can hold about 15 pieces up front that are complete.

I would say, at most, no more than 5 pieces will have made its way up there by now.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Exactly.

I know it isn't a large facility, and would imagine the size only goes down the more track is being manufactured.

If I remember correctly, with both Diamondback and Maverick track started appearing around a month in advance of steel erection (ha).

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Here are some news articles I've recently found on GateKeeper.

First we have a great article in the Sandusky Register that looks more into the planning process behind the ride. All Cedar Fair projects take a solid 2 years to develop, which means GateKeeper started under the leadership of Dick Kinzel and has transferred to the new leadership of Cedar Fair.

It also helps you realize the logistics that still remain to be worked out for the ride. Station aesthetics, how the gates lock, queue location, tree removal for construction, etc. are just examples of things still being discussed even after the ride announcement. (Not to mention juggling a reported 11 other projects for fellow Cedar Fair parks)

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/OLIVE/ ... w=ZW50aXR5

Another article delves into the information leak that provided GateKeeper photos nearly a week ahead of announcements. An interesting read, with some good photo coverage of Disaster Transport's last night, a construction tour, and GateKeeper announcement (bonus point if you can spot me!).

http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/256115 ... nformation

As for the deconstruction of Disaster Transport, the lift hill is currently coming down, with the top half gone. It is very rainy in Ohio today, but with any luck I can provide some photos soon.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Well now, that was a nice read. Liked that it maid mention of all the Cedar Fair projects happening.

Now it is time to play the waiting game.

moose517

Roller Poster
I wish there were pictures of disaster transport being tore down, i've always wondered what it looked like since its an indoor coaster.