What's new

Cedar Point Dinosaurs Alive 2012

D1993

Hyper Poster
yes you read the title correct. I was really shocked when i read this, and not in a good way.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/cedarpoint

I cannot beleive this. Its so tacky and lame and does not fit into the park in ANY way, shape or form.
This is seriously kinda embarrasing and I can only LOL to this. Its probably one of the biggest fails by Cedar Point ever.
I just cant beleive another year is going by, and CP is getting an even more 'meh' ride. I mean at least Shoot the Rapids and Windseeker are good enough to cause interest and add something to the park, but I really think this is one of the worst things the park has ever done.
It will also be located on Millennium Island, effectively ruining the whole feel of STR.

what do you guys think?

Anyone think its not as bad as I do?

edit: AND theyre removing paddlewheel excursions! This is oh my word. I have no idea what CP was thinking. IT IS SO OUT OF PLACE

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
... They're also adding a new slide to Soak City! :razz:

Yeah, not for me. This rumor surfaced a while back, so there's no real surprise to it - only sadness at Paddlewheel Excursions removal.

Kings Island's Dinosaurs Alive attraction has been a hit with families, so hopefully CP sees the same success.

Error

Strata Poster
God damn it. I love Paddlewheel Excursions.

And Dinosaurs alive at Cedar Point? It worked at Kings Island because it was well hidden: they have lots of space to work with. Cedar Point is running out of room, and hasn't had anything good for...what 5 years now?

oriolat2

Giga Poster
D1993 said:
It will also be located on Millennium Island, effectively ruining the whole feel of STR.

Maybe STR will be rethemed and transformed into Shoot the Dinosaur :--D

And, yay, a new slide for Soak City. Seriously, Cedar Fair is going nuts with these new rides.

STC

Mega Poster
Cedar Fair are really becoming even more cookie-cutter than Six Flags are.

I think the WindSeekers were the start of a (bad) new era.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I love how a lot of the negativity is coming from the guy who bashed all Leviathan's negativity.

"I call em as I see em."

I really couldn't care less about this. It will probably draw in money, but I know I won't be paying $5 to see some fake dinosaurs. That's something I can do at my local zoo(well, the one in Detroit, not Houghton).

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
STC said:
Cedar Fair are really becoming even more cookie-cutter than Six Flags are.

I think the WindSeekers were the start of a (bad) new era.
Cedar Fair has always been cookie cutter, ever since Cedar Point purchased Valleyfair to create the parent company. Names, logos, color schemes, ride types; all of it has been very similar between CF parks. They just hide it better than Six Flags does. :wink:

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Do Cedar Fair realise that dinosaur models like these are so 1970s? Especially when they look nothing like we know dinosaurs looked.

unlimitedcoaster

Mega Poster
It's funny how we all anticipated something exciting coming towards Cedar Point in 2012. This... is... a.... slap in the face. At least it will be a water excursion for small children to play at. With video games ruining their lives, I think dinosaurs will bring them back to basics of when previous generations would gaze upon recreations of the once lived dinosaurs.. RAAWWWRR!

D1993

Hyper Poster
Its just so lame. So incredibly lame. And it wont be hidden at all, from the top of dragster and millennium, people are going to be able to see .... FREAKING DINOSAURS!
omgsh this is so dumb. And theyve got something like this at the cleveland zoo and Kings Island has it too!
Cedar Fair is becoming way more cookie cutter than usual. ugh.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
To be honest, I just looked at them and they are quite nice models. I was expecting worse. http://www.flickr.com/photos/masonbuzz/ ... 01/detail/

But they are still disgustingly inaccurate (they all have broken wrists is the most obvious problem, sigh) and they don't even move. What is the point?

Museums should strive to be like theme parks to entertain a wider audience, theme parks should never strive to be like a museum. Especially a bad one.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
41330.jpg

This is a Tyrannosaurus, according to scientists. Look at the feathers, and try not to cry when you realize that this image ruins Jurassic Park. I hope CP is taking notes.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
unlimitedcoaster said:
It's funny how we all anticipated something exciting coming towards Cedar Point in 2012. This... is... a.... slap in the face.
It's only a slap in the face if you weren't following the rumor stream. There was absolutely zero indication of a good, new ride to surmise as much.

2013 however is carrying some weight of a new roller coaster/major attraction.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Pokemaniac said:
41330.jpg

This is a Tyrannosaurus, according to scientists. Look at the feathers, and try not to cry when you realize that this image ruins Jurassic Park. I hope CP is taking notes.
Unlikely that an animal of T-rex's size would be covered in feathers, the same way that none of the giant mammals are covered in fur. (Except when they lived in cold conditions - dinosaurs did not.) Also, skin impressions from T-rex show that it had scales. It probably had proto-feathers on some areas of the body, but it was definitely not covered in them like that picture. Most smaller avian dinosaurs, including some closely related to rex, would have been covered in feathers because they've found them with feather imprints. It's probable that, as dinosaurs like rex evolved to be so large, they lost the proto-feathers of their ancestors whilst smaller species went on to develop feathers more and more like we see today.

The Jurassic Park dinosaurs are inaccurate though, you're right. On every level. They are movie monsters, even the movie itself makes it clear that they are not accurate dinosaurs... so yeah.

Feathered dinosaurs are cool anyway, dunno why people hate them. It makes the dinosaurs that are still with us seem a hell of a lot cooler too.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Feathered dinosaurs are still a relatively new discovery, so they're still trying to work out which dines may have been feathered. Even more recently, they have figured out a way to detect pigment of dino feathers, showing possible plumage designs.

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster
They are doing this for money. We don't pay money to ride a roller coaster at Cedar Point, but we do pay for Dinosaur's Alive. It was a hit at King's Island, so they are doing it for the mula.

D1993

Hyper Poster
Was it really a 'hit' at Kings Island?
Ive heard alot about that, and lots of supposed good reports and even more bad reports. Apparently its the same thing thats at the cleveland zoo or something its all in the same state.
Im really not sure how popular this is going to be considering its not that great and people will have to pay extra for it. Plus im positive that this will have an utterly horrible atmosphere placing in the park.