What's new

Snoo

The Legend
Any news? Or can we officially start to lower our hopes por a 150th aniversary mind-blowing, never-seen-before expansion? LOL
cant-hold-my.jpg

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I shall wait for opening season, before adjusting my hopes and predictions for what is to come in 2020 at Cedar Point. Apparently, the road that divides the Dorms site from Cedar Point itself is being moved to a location closer to the waterfront... I measured it on Google Earth, and it is around 3.5 acres of land - a plot most fit for a mid-sized coaster along the lines of my predictions.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I can't fathom that in merely a few months' time, this will become the hot topic of the coaster community just like how Kennywood's Project 412 did last summer.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
So we have some more updates on 2019 - overall the park is very focused on bringing back older nostalgia, such as old train designs and vintage signage. Here's a good summary rundown: https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog/finishing-touches

Some key updates:
  • Magnum OG tunnel effects coming back!
  • Cedar Creek Mine Ride sign touch-up (we saw some of that progress end of last season) and new train feature)
  • Corkscrew OG train design coming back

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I can’t help but wonder if this is a foreshadowing of what’s to come in 2020 — it probably is, to be honest. I’m still holding out for a coaster on the former Cedar Dorms site as well as a resortwide celebration and throwbacks galore in 2020!

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
I would be fine without a new coaster in 2020. The chain did say in that investor meeting (or earnings call, presentation, or whatever) they wanted to space out large investments over a longer period of time. CP got Valravn in 2016 and SV in 2018. Unless they are planning to retire one of their older coasters I feel it may be another 2-3 years before we see a major ride. I guess once the park opens we will see if further land prep of that area has happened or if footers are spotted anywhere.

It would have to be a relatively small footprint if they were to put a new coaster in that area, correct? I'm trying to think of the area they could use in the park and they would probably have to move the bumper cars, seating for the stage by Iron Dragon, bathrooms by the train station, etc... to open up more land. Anyway, whatever they do for the 150th will be fun and exciting. I can't wait to hear about their plans!

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I would be fine without a new coaster in 2020. The chain did say in that investor meeting (or earnings call, presentation, or whatever) they wanted to space out large investments over a longer period of time. CP got Valravn in 2016 and SV in 2018. Unless they are planning to retire one of their older coasters I feel it may be another 2-3 years before we see a major ride. I guess once the park opens we will see if further land prep of that area has happened or if footers are spotted anywhere.

It would have to be a relatively small footprint if they were to put a new coaster in that area, correct? I'm trying to think of the area they could use in the park and they would probably have to move the bumper cars, seating for the stage by Iron Dragon, bathrooms by the train station, etc... to open up more land. Anyway, whatever they do for the 150th will be fun and exciting. I can't wait to hear about their plans!

They tore down the dorms over the off-season, as Cedar Point is moving them off-campus. Apparently, the road that separated the Cedar Point park from these dorms is being rerouted closer to the waterfront too. Using Google Earth, the dorms plot of land took up approximately 3.5 acres — more than enough to fit in a Thunderhead-sized GCI wooden coaster or a Superman: Ultimate Flight-sized B&M flying coaster. There’s a small open area between Valravn and the train station that can be used for the entry sign and perhaps some of the queue. Anything is possible, however.

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
They tore down the dorms over the off-season, as Cedar Point is moving them off-campus. Apparently, the road that separated the Cedar Point park from these dorms is being rerouted closer to the waterfront too. Using Google Earth, the dorms plot of land took up approximately 3.5 acres — more than enough to fit in a Thunderhead-sized GCI wooden coaster or a Superman: Ultimate Flight-sized B&M flying coaster. There’s a small open area between Valravn and the train station that can be used for the entry sign and perhaps some of the queue. Anything is possible, however.
I'd totally be down for a GCI woodie or B&M flying coaster but, since this is Cedar Point, I hope it's larger and more interesting than the Superman clones. Something like Tatsu would be awesome, especially if it went out over the water.

Last edited:

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I’m not sure a B&M flyer going out over the water would be feasible — I have talked to multiple other coasterfans about that over the years, and while we all agree it’d look spectacular, the cost and upkeep of the supports would be way too much. They also take up a lot of space, but I’m certain that if Cedar Point and B&M put their creative minds to it they could weave a flyer in and around the preexisting park — akin to how Tatsu is situated above the funicular and Revolution, while also circling around the observation tower.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I’m not sure a B&M flyer going out over the water would be feasible — I have talked to multiple other coasterfans about that over the years, and while we all agree it’d look spectacular, the cost and upkeep of the supports would be way too much. They also take up a lot of space, but I’m certain that if Cedar Point and B&M put their creative minds to it they could weave a flyer in and around the preexisting park — akin to how Tatsu is situated above the funicular and Revolution, while also circling around the observation tower.
Only problem with theories on building into the lake - Cedar Point's property line is limited to land. Might be a bit of a hassle trying to annex chunks of lake. :p

In the speculative coaster world, throw me in with @CrashCoaster on a fun, traditionally themed GCI being a good addition. For a park that has pretty much everything, Cedar Point's weird gap at this point is having only one wooden coaster.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Only problem with theories on building into the lake - Cedar Point's property line is limited to land. Might be a bit of a hassle trying to annex chunks of lake.

In the speculative coaster world, throw me in with @CrashCoaster on a fun, traditionally themed GCI being a good addition. For a park that has pretty much everything, Cedar Point's weird gap at this point is having only one wooden coaster.
Take out Gemini and perfect spot!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

codeman94

Mega Poster
I think its safe to say that a major new coaster for 2020 is a confirmed no? It seems to take more than one off-season to build a coaster these days. Surely someone would have noticed something by now. I was just there at the end of June and didn't see any kind of scrims or walls blocking off any kind of development. They were using the old apartment land for the Monster Truck rides. I don't know if that land will be usable, because there is a road right there. They would have to either build a bridge, or re-route the road. I don't see a way they can do that and also build a new coaster from scratch.

I'm betting they skip an improvement for the anniversary year, and just use the anniversary itself and the main promotional tool for the 2020 Season.