What's new

Carowinds- 2010 Coaster Rumored

wash

Mega Poster
I thought somebody else would have posted this by now, but since no one has I guess I will:

According to Screamscape , Carowinds may be installing a major new coaster in 2010. This is supposedly the reason for the planned removal of the log flume. Brandon Stanley from Worlds of Fun stated that several old Paramount parks would be getting big rides in the near future, naming Carowinds specifically, which would be announced early this season. Supposedly, the ride will be a large B&M hypercoaster near the front of the park that may extend into the parking lot. It is also rumored that it will be named White Lightnin' after the parks old shuttle loop.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
B&M Hypers seem to be the 'in' thing to get at the moment, especially stateside, so it really wouldn't surprise me if Carowinds were to get one. I've never been to the place, but looking at their ride lineup, it'd fit in reasonably. Its big, its got airtime over a lot of inversions, and its almost like a modernisation of their woodies.

Its getting a bit boring seeing B&M Hyper after Hyper appearing though, so a part of me would like to see something else.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I wouldn't mind seeing another one, especially at a park that doesn't have something to that caliber. Hopefully they change it up a bit from Behemoth and Diamondback. It would be nice to see a more twisted Beemer than one more focused on hills.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
Seeing as Carowinds is a pretty accessible park for me, this is pretty exciting. Seeing as I like B&M hypers a lot, this is also pretty exciting.
I feel like a hyper would fit Carowinds pretty well. They could really use something in the airtime department as they're lacking that besides Thunder Road (and even that it rather lacking lately). Some height would be nice as well... everything in the park is relatively small, even the drop tower. As far as placement, this could be really interesting. ACErs have this running joke with the poke about having a hyper go under the bridge at the front of the park. The position of this log flume actually makes that rather possible now. It wouldn't be too hard to go from the open site by the log flume, under the bridge, and back. That would make one heck of a great backdrop to the entrance of the park... sort of what Goliath did for SFOG, just on the inside.

As Rob mentioned, though, the hyper thing is well on its way to getting old. As much as I find them to be great rides, they don't have much in terms of the layout uniqueness you might see from an Intamin. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be cool to see something interesting here.

Either way, I'll be very pleased to see a hyper come to Carowinds.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Aww... another B&M... supposedly. What happened to the Intamin Hypers?
Now well. They are huge, steep, reliable and brings in a lot of customers. There must be something that Intamin can't do with theirs, then. Which is a pity.

Anyways, this sure is good news. Two coasters in two years must be expensive, but I expect they have hopes for this and know what they're doing.

Snoo

The Legend
^Exactly.

Airtime is what hypers are for.. and it is most likely what Carowinds will be getting. As UC said.. Paramount parks are just getting one after another.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Lain said:
rollerdude said:
It would be nice to see a more twisted Beemer than one more focused on hills.

But then you get Raging Bull, and nobody wants that.

Raging Bull would've been a great ride if it was ran trimless. The trims completely ruined the pacing and the fun of it. If they did something similar to Apollo's Chariot, but with pullouts like Diamondback has, and maybe throw in another helix, then it would be a very fun ride.

wash

Mega Poster
Update:
http://www.screamscape.com/html/carowinds.htm
If you had any doubts that Carowinds was planning a new roller coaster for 2010, this should set your mind at rest. Click here and scroll down a bit until you see the first entry for 1/30/09 for a “Carowinds 2010 Coaster” project bid to discuss “Bid Invitation & Instructions, Ride Confidentiallity, Contractor Policies & Insurance-General Term”.

M_Force_4_ever

Roller Poster
This sounds awesome, I think that Carowinds does need a ride of this caliber. I also think it's great that more and more B&M hypers are appearing, Behemoth is an outstanding coaster as are all the other B&Ms hypers I've been on (exception Raging Bull, which while not bad isn't great) Hopefully I can get back down there in 2010 to ride it...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
UC said:
It's good that the Paramount parks are getting their hypers, though. They pretty much lacked airtime coasters (even if some of us don't agree that these rides are airtime coasters...), so they're certainly welcome additions.
Exactly.

Though Paramount were able to develop a good quality park chain, they all seemed to lack that large 200 ft. steel coaster that is so common at major park chains.

Cedar Fair in essence is taking a step back to be sure to cover the basic coaster lineup at these Paramount Parks.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
^And they're doing a great job at it. Behemoth has a great location next to the lake, and it's so vibrant, you can hardly take your eyes off it while entering the parking lot. Diamondback not only changes the skyline, but it sits right on that midway.

M_Force_4_ever

Roller Poster
I think this would be an absolutely perfect addition to Carowinds. They really need a ride of this caliber to fill that void. Between a great B&M hyper and Afterburn (or whatever it's called now) they would have an excellent 1-2 combo :--D

Ali

Mega Poster
I'd rather it be an Intamin. With the credit crunch and everything I highly doubt that this will be built for the 2010 season.

Snoo

The Legend
I wouldn't see why not. Carowinds is doing just fine and with the relatively minor addition of a crappy boomerang.. a Hyper (which seems to be the trend for the former Paramounts) would fit in quite nicely.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Agreed with Snoo.

Of course everybody would prefer an Intamin over a B&M. For 26 million, I would rather see the money go towards something like Goliath at Wallaby World, instead of what came out as Behemoth. It didn't happen though, and there's obviously a reason why all these parks are building Beemers instead of Intamin hyper coasters.

Just imagine Behemoth as an Intamin...

carolinacoasterfreak

Roller Poster
I think that this would be a great addition to Carowinds. It seems like they are doing a lot to the coasters in the park under the relatively new ownership. This coaster would be a finish for all they're doing. As its been said Carowinds doesn't have anything like this, so it would deffinitly be appreciated.

As far as hypers getting old, I disagree. Yes there are a lot of them now, but they still are great coasters.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Cedar Fair has an excellent track record with B&M. Why fix something that isn't broken and switch to Intamin, especially with those lovely B&M trains?