What's new

Carnival Celebration (cruise ship) | Bolt: Ultimate Sea Coaster | Maurer Spike coaster | 202?

JoshC.

Strata Poster

Intamin Forever

Mega Poster
This is now being tested, before it will be deconstructed and sent to Finland (I think?) to be built on its corresponding cruise ship.

Can anyone explain why they would need to build and test it on land before putting it on a ship? Surely once built on the ship it would need re-testing and commissioning?
Because of the complex construction process of cruise ships, it means that once it is fitted, it CANNOT be taken back off due to the strict timing the cruise lines give the shipyard and the fact that the supports are welded to deck of the ship.

The Carnival Celebration (the ship this is going on) has been floated out of the dry-dock where it was constructed to it's outfitting quay side at the Meyer Turku/STX Shipyard in Finland, ready to be completed to set sail in November 2022 from Port Miami, Florida.

The coaster will be deconstructed and then shipped to Finland where it will be lifted and welded onto the ship around its iconic red funnel, as per the example here:
Bolt Ultimate Sea Coaster.jpg

Indy

Hyper Poster
Can anyone explain why they would need to build and test it on land before putting it on a ship? Surely once built on the ship it would need re-testing and commissioning?

It will need to be re-tested and commissioned, but it's easier to work out any bugs on a site where you have personnel and tools readily available or nearby. Obviously, with larger coasters, this generally isn't realistic. However, it's a fairly common process for smaller rides. It's not unusual for factories to build a flat ride at their facility, completely test it, and then take it a part and ship it to the customer. That way, both parties know the ride works correctly and it saves the manufacturer a lot of headaches that come with sending somebody on site to fix a problem.

Intamin Forever

Mega Poster
I would like to give everybody an update on the current status of Carnival Celebration (November 2022) and Carnival Jubilee (October 2023).

14th January 2022: Celebration had her iconic Carnival funnel fitted.
Carnival Celebration Funnel Fitting.jpg

11th February 2022: Celebration had her Float Out ceremony at the STX / Meyer Turku Shipyard in Finland.
Carnival Celebration Float Out.jpg
Carnival Celebration Float Out 2.jpg

18th March 2022: The first steel cutting for Carnival Jubilee at Meyer Werft Shipyard occured.

Carnival Jubilee Steel Cut.jpg

22nd March 2022: The first blocks of the Jubilee arrived at Meyer Werft ready for construction.

Carnival Jubilee Blocks.jpg

As for the coaster, according to my sources in Germany, the coaster has been dismantled and been shipped (no pun intended) to Meyer Turku Shipyard to be installed on the top deck of the Celebration, and as for the Jubilee, the coaster has entered production at the Maurer Factory.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I changed the thread title to reflect the final destination of the coaster.

By the way, is the name correct? I see there was some confusion around the reporting of this coaster's name back around New Year's.

Intamin Forever

Mega Poster
Just a small update. Thanks to a family member for this spotting. But it seems that Bolt: Ultimate Sea Coaster has been installed on the top deck of the new Carnival Celebration, ready to set sail in November 2022.
Carnival Celebration Update 1.jpg

I will be heading to Finland in a few days, as me and my brother are visiting the construction site for Royal Caribbean's new Icon Of The Seas, as seen under construction on the far left of the image. I will see if I'm able to take photos on site and I will try and get some information about the installation process.

Intamin Forever

Mega Poster
Carnival Celebration left the Meyer Turku Shipyard on the 2nd of November and will arrive in Southampton, England on the 6th of November.

Here is a video of its departure!

Intamin Forever

Mega Poster
Carnival Celebration arrived in Southampton this morning, taking on guests now.

If you want to watch her depart this afternoon for her first voyage, a 14 night Transatlantic cruise to Miami, Florida. There will be live stream later on today.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Any idea on the time it sails? Had a quick Google but couldn't see a time. In the city for a footie match today so want to go have a gander later.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I guess this is open, as the ship has been sailing for half a year? Eventual technical problems notwithstanding, thread unstickied.