What's new

Can Theming Ruin A Coaster?

Mark

Strata Poster
Quite often we find ourselves talking about how a theme enhances a coasters experience, its impact and its reridability. There have been various debates over the years as to whether a theme actually adds anything at all or whether it is important or not. I think it is safe to say that in general, most people seem to fall on the side of theming not being essential, but an added bonus.

A vast majority of us definitely like to see themes and stories alongside the coasters. Many complain if there is not enough theme perhaps. As an example, Six Flags is often named as a park chain that tends not to bother with theming.

I have always felt that theming could only ever add to the ride experience but the intereseting debate about the importance of theme got me wondering. Are there any coasters out there that have a theme which actually spoils the ride? Would the ride actually be better having no theme at all?

I can not think of any that would be better with no theme at all but I can think of one where I do think the theme somewhat 'spoils' the experience; Th13teen at Alton Towers. My main reasoning for this is because the theme builds the ride up to be some kind of terrifying sensory overload that will haunt you. It never delivers this, in fact the ride itself doesn't even deliver a slight hint of nervousness let alone terror. For me, the theme is sooo far from what the ride delivers that it did somewhat spoil the experience.

So then I wonder, if you were to take out the theming, would the coaster itself be more enjoyable and effective? Im not convinced it would be so there is part of me that still believes, some kind of theme (however mismatched) is better then no theme whatsoever. Th13teen certainly fits into a category where the theme does not necessarily enhance the ride experience but almost conflicts with it. Being a family coaster I would imagine a family type theme of some description would actually enhance the ride. (This is NOT a topic just to bash or praise Th13teen by the way...)

So I ask again, Are there any coasters out there that have a theme which actually spoils the ride?

troikaX3

Roller Poster
The best example I can think of would be Disaster Transport. This is more due to the theming being just pathetic. I would much rather have an outdoor bobsled than the ride shoved inside an ugly building with the only theming being in the queue line.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I would say Revenge of the Mummy at USH coaster section. Completely pathetic, just have it in a dark out room rather than Tony Hawk esque cardboard but outs.

A

Anonymous

The theming on Atlantis Adventure ruin the ride over 1.87 meters, since they are not allowed to ride, due to the theming was built with too little clearance for longer people (I'm pretty sure that shorter people will still hit stuff if they ride with hands in the air...).

jjjjustin

Hyper Poster
I haven't been on it but I heard That the Pre show on Apocalypse in Magic Mountain gets annoying becuase they end up sending half empty trains around.

Aaron

Hyper Poster
As a big lover of theming this is a very interesting subject for me

What you said about Thirteen certainly struck a chord with me too mark, for such a massive effort in the theming (they re-did the whole area for it!) it really does not pay off. Can't polish a turd and all... lol

But I still don't think the theme is ruining the ride (the ride does that itself!) for what they are aiming for, the theme is perfect, even if it does fall short...

I think the main issue I have is if a theme is attempted it should be done properly, and not half assed. Coasters can work very well as stand alone rides, they don't NEED to be themed, as has already been mentioned, six flags and I believe cedar point (I've never been to either, don't hate on me if this is wrong) have been getting away with generic themes for years!

The problem for me comes when a theme is done, but not very well... and I can't actually think of any examples of coasters where the whole theme is awful, but I can think of one tiny part of a ride which lets me down.

Saw The Ride, the theme is brilliant and I love it, it's got a dark sense of foreboding all the way through the queue line, then into the station, right until you get on the track, round the first corner and see those pathetic ghost-train looking* axes swinging in front of you, or indeed not swinging at all! everything else in there is great and looks very realistic, apart from those bloody rubbish axes! My first ride I was terrified (yes, really) and then we rounded that corner and that whole feeling left, to be replaced with extreme disappointment. The whole idea of that part is that it is supposed to give the impression the car is heading straight for those axes, before you suddenly dive forwards! (spoiler alert?) but you look at them and there is no sense of danger, cardboard after all doesn't hurt does it!

(* I don't have anything against ghost train looking stuff, I LOVE ghost trains and the kitschy/cartoony style they have, it just isn't appropriate here)

Then you get outside, and the theme stops. The bottom of the lift hill I love that they put the screens and the chains there, and yes the spinning blades at the bottom of the drop are brilliant, but after that, til the end there is nothing!

Yes you may say "but you're going too fast to notice" but that could be worked so much to the advantage! Near misses with other blades or similar perhaps? I dunno, but they should have done something more to the outside, it just feels really unfinished to me.

Rant over.

I'm very passionate about theming, you may be able to tell?

lakeccrunner

Mega Poster
For me, I love theming while waiting in line, and before a launch/lift in the station, but after that I don't really pay much attention, even if it's supposed to be a well themed ride throughout.

I do like it when the theme and ride interact an produce head choppers, though.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
loefet said:
The theming on Atlantis Adventure ruin the ride over 1.87 meters, since they are not allowed to ride, due to the theming was built with too little clearance for longer people (I'm pretty sure that shorter people will still hit stuff if they ride with hands in the air...).

Realistically, how many people in Korea are going to be affected by a 187cm height limit? Sorry, but I think that's a pretty bad example. The theming on AA enhances it loads. Tough **** if a few freakishly tall people can't ride it.

The first thing I thought of when I saw this topic was Superman/Bizarro at Six Flags New England. I KNOW I would've preferred the coaster without the **** ty cardboard cutouts and the absolutely horrendous soundtrack blasting in my ears and ruining the view/anticipation of the lift hill.

It SHOULD have been one of my favourite coasters; I don't think I'd even put it in my top 20.

choluby

Roller Poster
Tower of terror DLP is sooooooo much better than a usual drop tower but the only difference is the theming.

Error

Strata Poster
Not really themeing could ruin it: it's poor themeing. When Disaster Transport opened, it had so much to it. Now, it's pretty much stripped out to next to nothing. Other rides have simple themes, which are easy enough, like TTD's track colors and light tree. Others still are themed the **** out of and make an alright ride into something amazing, like Tower of Terror or Everest. On the other side, some rides are themed unintentionally, like Beast is at night.

So, either theme it and make it awesome, or don't.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
gavin said:
loefet said:

Realistically, how many people in Korea are going to be affected by a 187cm height limit? Sorry, but I think that's a pretty bad example. The theming on AA enhances it loads. Tough **** if a few freakishly tall people can't ride it.

Is 6 foot 2 REALLY "freakishly tall"??

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
For me theming is almost just as important as the actually ride. But i do agree that if done badly theming can make for a crappy ride.
I also think that some companies spend to much time on theming and not enough on making an amazing coaster *cough* Disney. I find the theming is really what makes the Disney coasters worth riding. The only exception being the Rock'n'Roll Roller Coaster. If you dont believe me just look at expedition Everest; they had to build this massive mountain to make an O.K. roller coaster worth riding.

choluby

Roller Poster
I don't really think that Rocknrollercoaster suits its theming.(Lacks speed and too many brake runs)

Mark

Strata Poster
Venom2053 said:
I also think that some companies spend to much time on theming and not enough on making an amazing coaster *cough* Disney. I find the theming is really what makes the Disney coasters worth riding. The only exception being the Rock'n'Roll Roller Coaster. If you dont believe me just look at expedition Everest; they had to build this massive mountain to make an O.K. roller coaster worth riding.

To be fair, it is a known fact that Disney create their vast majority of their coasters with families in mind. Hence them not being 'amazing' stand alone coasters. As far as Disney are concerned the theming is equally important in terms of the storytelling effect they are creating when they put it any new attraction. Simply put, they can't have one without the other.

Expedition Everest is not a great example. They didn't build the mountain with the sole purpose of making the OK Rollerocaster (which I actually agree with, the coaster itself is a bit meh) worth riding. They built the mountain as an integral part of the storyline. Both parts were actually designed around one another so if they had wanted it more extreme the mountain would have been altered to suit.