What's new

Cable lifts

NickkyG

Mega Poster
How do cable lifts work? What makes the cable go up and down the lift? Does the train just wait at the bottom of the lift until the cable is ready to lift the train?

What they said..

That's the reason why coasters with cable lifts don't have the clank clank sound of the chain dogs and anti-rollback things.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The answer has already been posted, but I'm just going to post, too, to show that I know the answer to this question as well.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
How does said cable get hauled to the top of the hill? Is the power device at the bottom and a cable loops back at the top and goes back down the underside of the track?

Why is there no anti rollback device? What happens if something breaks?

wash

Mega Poster
909673221_66ab8ea932.jpg

Actually, lifting cable is pretty simple, but is frowned upon under most jurisdictions. Why do you ask? :-s

Snoo

The Legend
NickkyG said:
How does said cable get hauled to the top of the hill? Is the power device at the bottom and a cable loops back at the top and goes back down the underside of the track?

Why is there no anti rollback device? What happens if something breaks?

Here is the BASIC design, the only real good example I could find of the whole contraption.. used on K'Nex..

KnexMech.png

The Catch car stops at the top of the hill, then comes back down the hill the way it came.. which is why you see the groove on coasters which come with a cable lift.

Also, you can see the catch car in this shot:

http://cache.rcdb.com/pictures/picmax/p3704.jpg

The track does have anti-rollback track, just like most trains with a lift hill of some sort.

I think that MIGHT answer it.. I dunno.. post back if I'm too retarded to explain it to you.. which is true.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Thanks SnooSnoo, that picture pretty much explained what i wanted to know!

How exactly does the anti rollback work, it doesn't clickclick?

A

Anonymous

Thankfully someone explained how the anti-rollback devices on an Intamin Mega works on TPR a few days ago:

intaminantirollback_191.jpg

As the wheel spins against the lift-hill the magnet will lift the anti-rollback device lifts from the holes so that they don't make any sound, but if the train stops the magnetic field cant hold the magnet down which causes them to drop and lock in the holes on the lift hill.
Also when the train is moving slowly (at the start of the lift) the copper wheel isn't spinning fast enough to create the magnetic field to lift the anti-rollback devices, which causes them to clank a bit before you are on your way up the lift.
The magnetic stuff is somewhat similar to the braking action on a Magnetic brake...

Source: TPR

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Thanks loefet!

I assumed the device lifted up but i couldn't figure out how, but that makes sense!