What's new

Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Pantheon | Intamin LSM Coaster | 2022

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
FWIW, I was also making the Maverick comparison on shear stats alone, before we received the layout. Agree with @Pokemaniac, the appeal for Maverick (and Cheetah Hunt for that matter) is being an a la carte layout that features different pieces and parts. Pantheon, Taiga, and other new custom Intamin Blitz coasters are great, continuing iterations on that design philosophy.

Ben

CF Legend
OK, so why not compare it to one of the tonnes of other rides that have been built like that since Maverick?

Why not compare it to the actually comparable ride, Soaring With Dragon.

The Maverick comparison is stupid and comes from a need to link everything back to Cedar Point even when it’s not remotely relevant.

Maverick is a great ride - relevant here, it ain’t.

Jcoasters

Mega Poster
I think he's right. Intamin and RMC seem to do this. Even launch coasters such as Nefasken (spelling?) in Turkey seem to do this, a wide variety of elements. Often times RMC's aren't the tallest or fastest in the park, but they often end up being the best, or second best, do to the wide variety of well made elements, combined with a variety of forces. B&M are doing this a bit more as well, adding things like airtime hills to wing coasters.

Well Maverick is certainly much older compared to modern examples, such as Taiga, Intamin had been producing similar 'wide element varitey inverting' coasters at earlier times such as: Speed Monster, Skycar, Storm Runner, and Kanonen. However, Maverick is really the first multi launch magnetic driven coasters to feature such design theory, as far I know.

Last edited:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
OK, so why not compare it to one of the tonnes of other rides that have been built like that since Maverick?

Why not compare it to the actually comparable ride, Soaring With Dragon.

The Maverick comparison is stupid and comes from a need to link everything back to Cedar Point even when it’s not remotely relevant.

Maverick is a great ride - relevant here, it ain’t.
95 degree drop, 72.5 mph, 2 inversions were the original stats given. Like I said in our initial chat, before we had the layout, it sounded like a faster Maverick with a swing launch.

And once we got the layout, it was clear this wasn't a Maverick by any measure. But, to @Pokemaniac's point, this is the latest and greatest in Intamin blitz coaster design. Maverick's relevance would be as a part of the blitz coaster lineage, just the same as Batman The Ride would relate to subsequent taller, faster B&M inverts; they're all cut of a similar cloth.

So yeah, it was a timing thing, thanks in part to BGW releasing bare stats at the onset without a layout rendering.

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
Isn't this more or less the "off the shelf version" of what Parc Asterixes coaster will be? I've the feeling I've seen this layour already a few times in different topics

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Isn't this more or less the "off the shelf version" of what Parc Asterixes coaster will be? I've the feeling I've seen this layour already a few times in different topics
This one is a completely custom design for the terrain at Busch Gardens, the PA one is just a modified version of the off-the-shelf model.

Ben

CF Legend
95 degree drop, 72.5 mph, 2 inversions were the original stats given. Like I said in our initial chat, before we had the layout, it sounded like a faster Maverick with a swing launch.

And once we got the layout, it was clear this wasn't a Maverick by any measure. But, to @Pokemaniac's point, this is the latest and greatest in Intamin blitz coaster design. Maverick's relevance would be as a part of the blitz coaster lineage, just the same as Batman The Ride would relate to subsequent taller, faster B&M inverts; they're all cut of a similar cloth.

So yeah, it was a timing thing, thanks in part to BGW releasing bare stats at the onset without a layout rendering.

Oh yeah I do forget how when Oz’Iris was built everyone compared it to Batman...

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Yes but if you did a bit of Google research you'd find that Pantheon has a meaning beyond a place name - it means 'temple of all gods' - which makes total sense for this ride!
Or as Gavin put it a week ago, replying to the same post as you:
Well, no.

The word "Pantheon" also refers to a group of gods, and it seems from that massively detailed layout that each element is named after a Roman god.

You're all welcome.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Sorry, late to this party, I recall hearing this announced but was busy or something and missed it.

I think this looks great. A fairly fast, multi launcher with a beyond vertical drop, spike, inversions and 180 foot drop...whats not to love?
It will deff bring me to BGW next year. I haven't been in ages, and despite making many FL-NJ/NJ-FL drives never bothered to stop here. Chose KD instead. I haven't done Griffon, Verbolten, Tempesto, Invadr and they all are fun I am sure, but none are mind blowing or unique enough to bring me there. This shall change next year.

bernatc22

Mega Poster
Slightly offtopic but, is it only me or does every modification they do to it make Intamin track look less like, you know, Intamin track? I feel since the double-spine modification the track style has only been going downhill, to the point where nowadays their track is almost unidentifiable...
I miss the steel truss.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
To quote a legend:
TRACK
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

On a more serious note, though, I think that’s a great shade that will differentiate Pantheon from all of the other coasters at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. It’s a track color that fits well with the Roman theme, but also manages to be pleasing to the eye too. I am so incredibly glad that a top-tier ride is at an already great park within 6 hours of me.

Skeletor

Roller Poster
Slightly offtopic but, is it only me or does every modification they do to it make Intamin track look less like, you know, Intamin track? I feel since the double-spine modification the track style has only been going downhill, to the point where nowadays their track is almost unidentifiable...
I miss the steel truss.
Whatever brings the smoothest and most efficient experience to future rides is what they should do. No doubt the modifications they've made are necessary. I also personally still really like the style. It may not be as stand out obvious, but it looks good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Jcoasters

Mega Poster
Yeah, I think it's great. It really makes the track look almost hollow, and any die hard coaster fan will be able to tell you this is Intamin track.

You can differentiate between Mack, Truss style Intamin, Gerstlauer, and Zierer pretty easy just by the connectors to the supports alone, not to mention the dimensions.

I'm sure it's better in every way. Smoother, sleeker, lighter. With the new international standards, they need less connections, which is why we are seeing the new truss tracks much less filled with cross ties.

I think the parks have an option between the two, as you see Hyperion with the new, Taiga with the old. Parc Asterix's uses the truss, and Walibi's the new style. Maybe there's pros and cons to each, or just a style preference.

iu

1405417072190_wps_27_Maverick_2_jpg.jpg

You can see how many less cross ties there are. They never really needed this many anyhow, the standards were just way over zealous.

Also, it seems cheaper and easier to manufacture. Just bend the tubes, laser cut out the cross-ties, and weld it on. Bam! I'm no welder, but it seems like it would be an easier job too, welding a flat peice of steel on esentially two sides, versus a tube and/or column on 4 sides.

Also, I love the color. Gold is so underused.

Last edited: