What's new

Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Pantheon | Intamin LSM Coaster | 2022

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Ah, of course. That's for 2021, CC said 2020, hence my confusion!
I too was thinking PortAventura at first, wondering if I had missed a big announcement.

This appears to become one heck of a coaster, though! BGW is one of those parks on my some-time-in-the-future bucket list, and this definitely hasn't made me want to visit it any less.

Pear

Strata Poster
The ride, however, looks to use Intamin's I305/SWD track design, instead of Taron/PA 2021 coaster use.
The ride will actually feature the same track as seen on Hyperion and possibly on the Walibi Belgium coaster.

9-Launch-2.png

You can also tell by the footers here that there will most likely be an airtime launch section instead of a flat launch.

I can't wait for 2020 :)

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
The ride will actually feature the same track as seen on Hyperion and possibly on the Walibi Belgium coaster.

9-Launch-2.png

You can also tell by the footers here that there will most likely be an airtime launch section instead of a flat launch.

I can't wait for 2020 :)
This just gets better and better. Best ride in park anyone? :D

Also, I really don't think this will be a giga. The ride doesn't look large enough to me, I bet the spike will be around 210-220ft tall, and the drop down to the rhine river to be around 230-250ft tall.

NOTE:- It's worth remembering that this will open before the Parc Astérix launch coaster by a year, even though that has been announced since November, so this will be the first coaster to open using this launch setup.

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Here's an actually good and quality recreation of the ride that takes into account pretty much every detail and wasn't made in a day for cheap views
Oooh shade! :p

To be fair, at least the first one didn't have that gratuitous bloom effect on the video!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Cool POV, but I think the second launch will dip down into the airtime hill, like on the Parc Astérix launch coaster. I personally prefer the first video, just because it is probably more accurately profiled, even though it was rushed compared to this one.

Pear

Strata Poster
Cool POV, but I think the second launch will dip down into the airtime hill, like on the Parc Astérix launch coaster. I personally prefer the first video, just because it is probably more accurately profiled, even though it was rushed compared to this one.
The new one is the profiling we're most likely going to see. The person who made it has studied the footers and terrain for weeks now to make this. There is no room or height for the airtime launch to dip down. The older one was also wrong with the trick track double up going over the roll instead of under.

Trust me, the new one is about as accurate as you're gonna get. The other POV is not accurately profiled and like I said before the new one was built off of the footer map.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
The new one is the profiling we're most likely going to see. The person who made it has studied the footers and terrain for weeks now to make this. There is no room or height for the airtime launch to dip down. The older one was also wrong with the trick track double up going over the roll instead of under.

Trust me, the new one is about as accurate as you're gonna get. The other POV is not accurately profiled and like I said before the new one was built off of the footer map.
But there is a problem with that though, and that is safety.

Say that the train launches for the first time through that launch, but due to power failure, the track only partially switches. Obviously this means the ride will e-stop, HOWEVER; because there is a flat section of track at the start of this launch, a fully loaded train could easily crest the hill and not stop in time, and derail at the transfer track. The only way this problem can be solved is to put a friction brake on the launch track right next to the transfer track to stop this from happening (or in Intamin's case, a pair of drive tyres), or by including a valley at the base of the airtime hill like on the Parc Astérix launch coaster, to ensure that the train couldn't possibly roll back to the transfer track, not if this makes sense. This problem would also apply if the launch is completely flat.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Say that the train launches for the first time through that launch, but due to power failure, the track only partially switches. Obviously this means the ride will e-stop, HOWEVER; because there is a flat section of track at the start of this launch, a fully loaded train could easily crest the hill and not stop in time, and derail at the transfer track. The only way this problem can be solved is to put a friction brake on the launch track right next to the transfer track to stop this from happening (or in Intamin's case, a pair of drive tyres), or by including a valley at the base of the airtime hill like on the Parc Astérix launch coaster, to ensure that the train couldn't possibly roll back to the transfer track, not if this makes sense. This problem would also apply if the launch is completely flat.
Do bear in mind that LSMs act as brakes if no power is applied to them (the 'fault' status). I would expect Intamin have designed the launch magnets to bring the train to a stop if the launch failed (even in the worst case where it completes the first pass correctly and then there is a fault).

It's also totally possible that this ride would come with a UPS system (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply) which could be set up to turn the launch into a very strong brake should any fault be detected.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I understand this, but magnetic brakes cannot completely halt a train, unless the launch section is flat. But even then, it isn't completely failsafe.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I understand this, but magnetic brakes cannot completely halt a train, unless the launch section is flat. But even then, it isn't completely failsafe.
Well they can with a UPS, that's what I'm saying. Plus, what's to say the straight bit of the launch isn't on a slight decline away from the switch?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
The track switch isn't necessarily powered by an electric motor, though. It could be compressed air or hydraulics building up pressure before the switch, so that the track switching itself would only require electricity to "turn the knob". That way, a halfway switch would never occur. Or there could be an UPS on the switch itself, ensuring that it would always have power to switch completely over.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

Even if the launch section was flat (which it probably isn't as Hixee mentioned), if the switch track failed, I'm sure the train could be pushed forward into the second valley right at the end of the launch track by a very gentle LSM launch. Or if the fault was detected early enough, maybe the computer could kill the power to the LSMs so that the train makes it over the hill, but doesn't have enough momentum to roll back over it. Nothing is ever completely failsafe, but I'd imagine it'll be a highly redundant system where the train can be stopped on the flat section if needs be and there are backup generators in case of any power outages. You do raise a valid point though - perhaps the launched hill is necessary for a rolling launch as an extra safety feature?

Also, I'm loving these new Intamin designs! Those outward banked turns look magnificent (Steel Vengeance anyone?)

toofpikk

Mega Poster
anyone else already bored of this whole forwards-backwards-forwards launch thing.

cba with it.

they all look like solid rides but its such an 'eh' element. Of all the coaster element fads out there why did this one have to catch on.

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
anyone else already bored of this whole forwards-backwards-forwards launch thing.

cba with it.

they all look ride solid rides but its such an 'eh' element. Of all the coaster element fads out there why did this one have to catch on.
Nah, not me mate. SWD's launch is ****ing excellent (the last pass noise is the best), and adding an airtime hill? Count me in!