What's new

Busch Gardens Tampa | Iron Gwazi | RMC Gwazi | 2022

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
The thing is; I know that not many people will agree with me, but I personally think that part of why people are excited for this coaster is RMC. Now don't get me wrong; this coaster has me really excited! What's not to love about a rumoured 212ft coaster with a 91° drop? And RMC have really built some incredible looking rides over the years; I can't wait to ride one! But I personally feel that the company have gained such a reputation (admittedly, it is a partially deserved reputation; some of their coasters look mind-blowing!) that there are many people who see absolutely everything they do and will ever do as gold dust. There were people instantly declaring this the best coaster in Florida before the rumours even came out about the height and records. That was with the mere mention that RMC were manufacturing it and nothing else. The question I'm asking is; would there be quite the same level of hype if another manufacturer was building this coaster? If another manufacturer, like Intamin or GCI or B&M, for example, was building this coaster with an identical layout and the same stats, would there be the same level of hype surrounding this coaster?

I know that my viewpoint is somewhat controversial, but I feel as though it's almost gotten to the point where RMC could build a clone of the stock model Zamperla Family Gravity Coaster here and people would declare it the best coaster in Florida, if you get what I mean. There is so much of a stigma surrounding RMC that I have not seen with any other manufacturer of highly regarded coasters; there is even a Facebook group called The Church of RMC. You don't see that with any other coaster manufacturer: https://m.facebook.com/groups/churchofthermc/

Now, I know that this post makes me sound incredibly bitter, so I apologise for that. Despite what my last couple of posts might imply, I am extremely excited for this coaster! Gwazi is a big structure for them to work with; the scope is huge, and there is a very real possibility that this could be among the world's most highly regarded coasters! It's just that I feel like the mere mention of RMC suddenly made people discard everything else currently in Florida and everything else being built in Florida for 2020 before we even knew anything major about the layout, if you get what I mean. I apologise for my controversial viewpoint, but those are my personal thoughts.

Firstly, have you done an RMC? I'm guessing not? Which is fine, but kinda got that suggestion from what you wrote.

I get what you're saying though but as someone who has done 3 RMCs (incl Steve) and doesn't even rate them as top 10 material I still think this is going to be one of the best in Florida, I don't think there is much doubt about that. Whether it will be THE best, well probably depends on your personal taste, it might not end up being mine if I do it but I think a lot of enthusiasts will rate it highly because a lot of them enjoy RMCs as a concept. I'll be interested to see how it is received with Florida visitors though as I expect a lot of people won't have experienced an RMC before. I think some people might find it a bit violent if they put in a lot of bumps and twists.

Last edited:

Hutch

Strata Poster
Not sure how they've been able to come up with that layout when all we've seen is the drop and downward zero g. The prediction looks great but all those NL recreations we see never excite me, so let's wait for the real one. That zero g does look good though.

Matt N

CF Legend
Firstly, have you done an RMC? I'm guessing not? Which is fine.

I get what you're saying though but as someone who has done 3 RMCs (incl Steve) and doesn't even rate them as top 10 material I still think this is going to be one of the best in Florida, I don't think there is much doubt about that. Whether it will be THE best, well probably depends on your personal taste, it might not end up being mine if I do it but I think a lot of enthusiasts will rate it highly because a lot of them enjoy RMCs as a concept. I'll be interested to see how it is received with Florida visitors though as I expect a lot of people won't have experienced an RMC before. I think some people might find it a bit violent if they put in a lot of bumps and twists.
You're correct in saying that I haven't done an RMC; I am very excited to do one! They certainly have rave reviews, and they seem to have lots of airtime!

I also agree that there is a very real possibility of this being one of the most highly acclaimed coasters in Florida and the world, as you mention; I was only saying that I wasn't sure whether part of the hype was merely down to it being manufactured by RMC, if you get what I mean.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
You're correct in saying that I haven't done an RMC; I am very excited to do one! They certainly have rave reviews, and they seem to have lots of airtime!

I also agree that there is a very real possibility of this being one of the most highly acclaimed coasters in Florida and the world, as you mention; I was only saying that I wasn't sure whether part of the hype was merely down to it being manufactured by RMC, if you get what I mean.
There is definitely a bit of RMC hype overload sometimes (awaits hate) but I'm probably one of the few people on this forum that will admit that. haha This is a good move to revive Gwazi though so it's all good and it's pretty much guaranteed to be a decent ride.

Matt N

CF Legend
There is definitely a bit of RMC hype overload sometimes (awaits hate) but I'm probably one of the few people on this forum that will admit that. haha This is a good move to revive Gwazi though so it's all good and it's pretty much guaranteed to be a decent ride.
I agree that this coaster is definitely going to be a great use of the old Gwazi structure; certainly better than it being SBNO!

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Seriously? Millie always on the top???????
He just needed to get out more.

Trust me, got very used to hearing it, these comments are older news to me than Millie itself.
Its become as stale and boring to me as MF is to most of ya haha

I got out plenty, it took RMC to finally dethrone it! If I can make it to Lightning Rod this year I expect that one to rival for #1
Circling back to this thread, when this beast opens I reckon it will also compete for #1 No idea about the layout, it'll be hard to top SV, that combo of length, flow, pacing, use of elements but given the size of this thing it may be a contender.
I actually have shed my fear of RMC overhype, the few Ive ridden have all been top tier, and if SV lived up to/exceeded its monumental hype, I think nothing will let down. Within realistic expectations of course. Like Twisted Colossus Im expecting a great but not top tier contender, RMC Gwazi yeah...probably gunna be insane

DelPiero

Strata Poster
If RMC were gods all we would have in our top 10's would be RMC and nothing else, they have definitely got better recently though, SV, LR and SC are brilliant.
I'd like to see a bit more variation in their airtime though, I mean, I love their ejector but a couple of flojector elements would be welcome.
There's a reason why Helix, Taron, and a hyper or 2 get in top 10's, we love variation.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'll also go back to a point I've raised previously - RMC are far from perfect. I love their creations, and the disruption they're causing in the industry, but they're by no means god's gift to us.

Filed under personal preference: I hate the awkward off-axis/counter-roll (dunno what to call it) stuff. The entrance to the turnaround on Storm Chaser is actually a badly designed transition for the speed of the train and forces on the riders. The zero-g-stall on Steel Vengeance would be a lot better as a normal zero-g-roll. They're being elaborate for the sake of being elaborate.

Filed under general: Lightning Rod's reliability. Steel Vengeance's blocking/bumping issues. These are the sort of things that, for me, are desperately inexcusable.

Sure, my #1 and #2 are RMC, but you have to get to #12 before you get the next one. I think the new rides from Intamin and Mack will start to develop too, and give RMC a run for their money.

peep

CF Legend
Filed under personal preference: I hate the awkward off-axis/counter-roll (dunno what to call it) stuff. The entrance to the turnaround on Storm Chaser is actually a badly designed transition for the speed of the train and forces on the riders. The zero-g-stall on Steel Vengeance would be a lot better as a normal zero-g-roll. They're being elaborate for the sake of being elaborate.

Ooo, finally someone else has said the thing I dislike about RMC.

I think this will make for a great addition to the park and will certaintly provide a unique experience for Florida. Interested to see more of the layout from the park.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Yeah the weird jolty angles are what I dislike most about the RMCs I've done, just weird and uncomfortable. Hopefully they won't stick loads of these on RMC Gwazi.

Snoo

The Legend
Yeah the weird jolty angles are what I dislike most about the RMCs I've done, just weird and uncomfortable. Hopefully they won't stick loads of these on RMC Gwazi.

I really think they're starting to perfect the craft. With more give with what they can create, such as Gwazi, Zadra, and their Japanese creation, you can see them trying to keep doing whats good and get rid of whats not.

Personally, while I don't love every element, I'm GLAD to see variation. Some nuances to their designs. While the same elements tend to ride the same, seeing something different and exotic as they evolve is nice. SV through in a number of elements I had no idea would be awesome (first two hills of airtime came out of nowhere personally). As noted by @Hixee, some aren't so good.. but I'll take them evolving over time, something they definitely have, than stagnating.

That being said, some may say I'm a RMC fanboy which.. can be argued for and against. I've tended to be impartial until I ride and try not to beg at the feet at the company. However, looking at my Top 10 minus RMCs and you still get the same types of rides. It's just RMC is creating the exact type of ride I like over and over. Flojector to Ejector with an EXPERIENCE to be enjoyed over and over. Can't fault them IMO for creating a unique experience that makes people want to come back no matter what.

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
Trust me, got very used to hearing it, these comments are older news to me than Millie itself.
Its become as stale and boring to me as MF is to most of ya haha

I got out plenty, it took RMC to finally dethrone it! If I can make it to Lightning Rod this year I expect that one to rival for #1
Circling back to this thread, when this beast opens I reckon it will also compete for #1 No idea about the layout, it'll be hard to top SV, that combo of length, flow, pacing, use of elements but given the size of this thing it may be a contender.
I actually have shed my fear of RMC overhype, the few Ive ridden have all been top tier, and if SV lived up to/exceeded its monumental hype, I think nothing will let down. Within realistic expectations of course. Like Twisted Colossus Im expecting a great but not top tier contender, RMC Gwazi yeah...probably gunna be insane
Lightning Rod is a great coaster. It's incredibly fast and that quad (quint?) down is amazing and takes your breath away but it couldn't top SV when I rode it a month later. SV dethroned Millie as my favorite coaster as well.

That all being said, I am SO excited for this ride. I haven't been to BGT in probably 10+ years and this will get me back there next year. I'm sure RMC will do a great job with it.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
RMC has had such an iterative approach in their development, that I feel any one of their coasters is perfectly beatable; just a matter of tweaking some additional elements, building a bit more height or airtime hills, etc. SV is an amazing specimen of a roller coaster, but certainly not an end-all-be-all. It's weird recognizing that I (like others) have many highly ranked RMCs, however know any one could be downgraded in quick succession versus other coasters coming online. Remember when NTG almost ranked #1 in the Mitch Hawker Polls the year it opened?

Peet

Giga Poster
I assume your comparing Montu to RMC Gwazi? A ride that we still don't know too much about and won't be open for another year? Or are you comparing Montu to that NL prediction that likely won't be what it actually is?

Seems like a reasonable statement.
My favourite coaster in Florida is the wooden RMC giga coaster that might get built one day.

AidanCKY

Mega Poster
So excited for this. I've only done Twisted Colossus and I absolutely loved it, this thing looks like it'll be crazy. And Busch Gardens is one of my favourite parks so it's going to make me super happy next time I go when Gwazi 2: Electric Boogaloo is done.