What's new

Busch Gardens Tampa | Tigris | Premier SkyRocket II

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Elsewhere people seem to think it hints at a Sky Rocket II model. (Tempesto/Eel)
I would be so extremely disappointed if that's the case. Its already a slap in the face they put one into BGW, Tampa doesn't need that.

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
I really wouldn't of thought a 500pph ride would work in a park like Thorpe Park, Let alone in a park with double attendence figures!

Matt N

CF Legend
I really wouldn't of thought a 500pph ride would work in a park like Thorpe Park, Let alone in a park with double attendence figures!
I was thinking that too, but it could work if they applied a queueless system using timed tickets on to it, sort of like Jimmy Fallon at Universal.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
No one has mentioned it, so I’ll just point out that the name Gwazi refers to a creature with the head of a tiger and the body of a lion, so if you take that tiger part and add the alliterative ‘Twisted,’ you have what sounds like a typical RMC conversion name.

Also, Kumba means roar, so Uproar could be some kind of upgraded or altered version of that ride.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Sadly, I think the proof is the lack of plural in "Twisted Tiger" - if we were looking at a full on conversion of both sides of Gwazi, they'd definitely need to add an s.
That said, if they are cash strapped as the article suggests, there's no reason why they couldn't pull a Kentucky Kingdom and make 1 hybrid coaster from the track of 2 dueling woodies. As much as I'd like to see both tracks redone, having to follow the path of the previous track does constrain the design a bit, and removing a large chunk of the structure would definitely open up the area around Gwazi, which felt dead even before Gwazi's demise.

However, I don't think a Skyrocket II would be too inflammatory - they seem to be fairly well received and as it wouldn't be a flagship ride for BGT, queues will die down after a few years once it becomes more of a filler attraction. If they decide to add a dual loading station, I think a Skyrocket II wouldn't be a bad fit, especially in a dying part of the park. Even if it's not going to raise the eyebrows of any enthusiasts, it can still be a solid investment for the park.

Something tells me that they're keeping Gwazi's structure for a reason though...

Matt N

CF Legend
It isn't RMC who decides to call the rides "Twisted", guys... the parks do, don't they? So for all we know, it could be a B&M Giga or a ground-up RMC woodie.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
It isn't RMC who decides to call the rides "Twisted", guys... the parks do, don't they? So for all we know, it could be a B&M Giga or a ground-up RMC woodie.
I think it's more due to the facts that two of the conversions already start with 'Twisted' and most of the others have a similar kind of prefix attached to their name.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I think it's more due to the facts that two of the conversions already start with 'Twisted' and most of the others have a similar kind of prefix attached to their name.
Three.
Yeah, not sure why it matters if the parks have final choice of names. We have a clear pattern established now: take something that quotes or evokes the ride’s original name and add an adjective like “wicked” or “twisted” that suggests a distorted version.

Trademarking “Twisted Tiger” is not definitive proof of anything at all, but to me it’s awfully suggestive of the possibility of an RMC conversion of Gwazi. Still just speculation, of course, but that name does make one imagine the possibility.

Pear

Strata Poster
Y'all are gonna get really hyped up then get angry when it's just another Tempesto clone lol

GeodieCoasterFan

Mega Poster
RMC gwazi would be class but a skyrocket could be a good addition to a park with a lot of good coasters already. Would be better than a Zamperla Flyer

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Hm, beige isn't a typical color used for this kind of stuff. Usually it's white, which means proposed excavation(which this is closer to), or pink, which is a general temporary marker. Perhaps it's just the lighting throwing the color of the dot off?

Regardless, I'm going to stay skeptical of an RMC until it's been announced. The aged structure mixed with the Florida climate just makes an RMC very unlikely for this ride.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Look at the state of the wood in that picture. High temperatures and high humidity for many years will deteriorate wood pretty badly, and that's before the dynamic loads of a coaster train are applied.

Not saying it is unsalvageable, but there's a reason why it closed in the first place. Any rebuild would surely involve swapping out a lot of wood.