What's new

Busch Gardens Tampa | Iron Gwazi | RMC Gwazi | 2022

Matt N

CF Legend
Nice to see something happening with Gwazi; what struck me when I went to the park in August 2016 was just how big of a structure it is to be sitting in plain view, so an RMC hybrid should definitely be an improvement! Or possibly even a GCI refurb with an inversion like AI suggested, but I'd personally say that there's a 99% chance that this will be an RMC of some shape or form. I'm open to surprises, though!

As for AI's other suggestion that RMC Gwazi could break the hybrid records like Steel Vengeance did, I personally disagree. I always like to be optimistic and dream big with this type of project because anything is possible, but I'm not personally sure if they have enough structure to work with to create a 200ft, 70mph monster of a ride like Steel Vengeance without spending too much money for it to be financially viable. To be fair, I could definitely see them claiming the length record by combining the two sides into one massive quasi mobius coaster a la Twisted Colossus, but I'm not sure whether I could see them claiming the tallest and fastest hybrid records. Although this is RMC we're talking about, and I certainly wouldn't put anything past them after the likes of Steel Vengeance!

One thing's for sure, though; there's a very high chance that this will be one of the more highly regarded coasters in Florida and probably the world!

MakoMania

Mega Poster
Yeah, if this is 200ft I will never ride Mako again.

EDIT: I DIDN'T MEAN IT

If they really want records then track length & inversions is probably the way to go. I hope it's airtime focused though to be honest, the park needs it.

Last edited:

Cupcake Coaster(YT)

Roller Poster
No way in heck is RMC Gwazi(they said Rocky, not gonna be a refurb or GCI retrack) going to break height or speed records. Keep in mind, this is the same guy who though Yukon Striker would be a Giga, and look how that played out.

RMC Gwazi will be a great RMC, and a big improvement from the Gwazi I rode, but will it be the best? Based on the current layout probably not, but it won't break records. Maybe some dueling records.

Grobble

Roller Poster
Nice to see something happening with Gwazi; what struck me when I went to the park in August 2016 was just how big of a structure it is to be sitting in plain view, so an RMC hybrid should definitely be an improvement! Or possibly even a GCI refurb with an inversion like AI suggested, but I'd personally say that there's a 99% chance that this will be an RMC of some shape or form. I'm open to surprises, though!

As for AI's other suggestion that RMC Gwazi could break the hybrid records like Steel Vengeance did, I personally disagree. I always like to be optimistic and dream big with this type of project because anything is possible, but I'm not personally sure if they have enough structure to work with to create a 200ft, 70mph monster of a ride like Steel Vengeance without spending too much money for it to be financially viable. To be fair, I could definitely see them claiming the length record by combining the two sides into one massive quasi mobius coaster a la Twisted Colossus, but I'm not sure whether I could see them claiming the tallest and fastest hybrid records. Although this is RMC we're talking about, and I certainly wouldn't put anything past them after the likes of Steel Vengeance!

One thing's for sure, though; there's a very high chance that this will be one of the more highly regarded coasters in Florida and probably the world!

Alan Shilke already said in his IAAPA interview that the speed & height records are going to be broken by Zadra at Energylandia.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
X is better than Y doesn't mean that everything needs to be X. Certainly not when Y would be a unique concept.
But does that really matter when X has the better ride experience? We know that Y will be coming to China, so we don't need it to happen to Gwazi, not to mention that there was about a 0% chance that this would be GCI in the first place.

Snoo

The Legend
Sad that it's now 100% sure it's not going to be the dueling, inverting, GCI...

RMC has proven they can bring next gen thrills. GCI has a wood model at IAAPA. Just facts unfortunately as I would have LOVED to see that GCI model made.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I would have liked to see the GCI, would have been good to see GCI finally fix it! Personally I prefer the good GCIs I've done to the RMC's I've done but I know that's not common opinion and RMC make good coasters so it should still be good. As people have said they're tried and tested but I'd like to try the inverting GCI someday. Just glad they're not leaving it to rot anymore tbh, gwazi is probably not the best candidate for that invert model considering the issues it had before and it's always a risk with a new ride type. Also Florida needs an RMC really doesn't it.

Last edited:

Pear

Strata Poster
GCI was probably never in the running to fix Gwazi anyways. I'm not sure why everyone saw the concept at IAAPA and immediately assumed that they were redoing Gwazi. The model itself didn't even fit in Gwazi's land.

Anyways the RMC will be better and have actual ejector so that's a win

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Yeah, no one likes RMC anymore. GCI are way better.
Sorry, which RMCs have you been on to back this statement up?

Like others have said RMC is the safer choice for the park and will give it the airtime machine it's currently lacking. Great stuff :)