What's new

Busch Gardens Europe...another fishman100 review

fishman100

Mega Poster
Fishman100 here, still semi-tired from a long day at BG yesterday :)

Actually, our orchestra at our school participated in a contest right next to BG, so we spent the day there after our ~10 minute performance :p

The Park
We entered through the England entrance; I don't know if there are other entrances to the park. But the main gate led us to every section of the park, which was pretty helpful. The layout is fairly simple but sometimes the various turns and hills may make it confusing-and if you don't have much energy, then be wary of the hills :p And for some reason, we kept overshooting Loch Ness Monster after we rode it the 1st time, so keep looking for the signs that will point you in the right direction.

Loch Ness Monster
After having a not-so-great time on Anaconda, I was pretty impressed by the smoothness of LNM. Of course, that may be because I sat in the front each time, but I did that with Anaconda too :p
The interlocking loops were pretty cool; it's too bad they don't synchronize the trains.
The first drop can be pretty scary, but it's not that fast. I didn't experience any headbanging, etc. on LNM, which is good :) Overall, a good ride for warm-ups.
Griffon
The coaster I was looking forward to riding the most :D For a pretty popular coaser, we were surprised at the ~15 minute wait. The lift hill was very steep, but it was fast-and when we were stopped at the top it was scary, especially on my first ride, when I found that I could wiggle forward a bit, so when we were tilted downwards, I was (literally) on the edge of my seat :shock: The drop wasn't as scary as I thought, and the 2 immelmans felt great. This one ranks 2nd in my "Favorite Coasters at BG" list, but only by a shred. I managed to ride this 6 times, all of which were good.
Alpengeist
I still have no idea how to pronounce that, but oh well :p
The same problem occurs here in most of the inverted B&M's: everywhere but the front is bumpy. We sat in the front the first time and experienced a great ride. The drop looks steep, but you don't even feel the first drop. The speed was great; it made my feet feel nice :) I rode it a second time and it was unusually bumpy (in the second row). On our 8th time, it started raining as we were ascending the lift hill, which made the ride a whole lot more painful-the rain felt like hail. Don't ride this if it's raining :p But when it's not, it's a great ride and it was my favorite ride there.
Apollo's Chariot
So I was hesitant to ride this one (from the airtime hills), but I eventually forced myself onto the ride. The restraints were interesting; I've never seen a restraint like that before. It was sunny out when we were at the peak of the lift hill, which was very relaxing. The drop, from a non-rider's POV, looks insanely steep, but like Alpengeist, it wasn't. The first hill wasn't that bad, and I only got somewhat sick :p

I thought there were 5 coasters, but it turns out there are only 4. However, the quality of the coasters compensates for the quantity.

It's a good park, and with the construction of Mach Tower (almost finished) and another coaster opening sometime next year (or that's what I hear), it should be better. I look forward to riding Griffon again :D

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Al-Pen-Guy-st :)

Glad you enjoyed the park, it's a superb place and well worth putting up with the hilly terrain for. There are five coasters. There's a Grover Kiddy coaster in the Sesame Street area of the park... It was somewhere by the Pompeii ride. The layout is actually quite confusing (of the park), it really twists and turns but it's excellent for it.

Don't tell me you missed out on Darkastle? Fantastic ride. A lot of BGE's filler rides aren't up to much, but that one is one of the best in the world!

andrus

Giga Poster
Great trip report! BGE is one of those parks I just have to visit sometime, looks fab! You don't got any pictures you want to share with us? :)

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Thanks for sharing!

It's a shame you didn't ride Darkastle, though. furie's right that it's top-notch indoor ride.

fishman100

Mega Poster
furie said:
Al-Pen-Guy-st :)

Glad you enjoyed the park, it's a superb place and well worth putting up with the hilly terrain for. There are five coasters. There's a Grover Kiddy coaster in the Sesame Street area of the park... It was somewhere by the Pompeii ride. The layout is actually quite confusing (of the park), it really twists and turns but it's excellent for it.

Don't tell me you missed out on Darkastle? Fantastic ride. A lot of BGE's filler rides aren't up to much, but that one is one of the best in the world!

Lol, we saw the Grover kiddy coaster, but our group worked as a democracy (we vote on the ride we want to go on, and then we sprint there to avoid long lines :p) and the final vote was 5-1 them :(
andrus said:
Great trip report! BGE is one of those parks I just have to visit sometime, looks fab! You don't got any pictures you want to share with us? :)

Unless you count the on-ride photo of Loch Ness Monster, then no.I would upload it, but currently my printer's kinda messed up and my alternate printer is connected to the laptop that crashed last night. Sorry.
madhjsp said:
Thanks for sharing!

It's a shame you didn't ride Darkastle, though. furie's right that it's top-notch indoor ride.

We actually couldn't find that on the map...which is weird considering we spent a good minute or two staring at it. But my friend told me that Europe in the Air was pretty good; is it?

However, one of my friends broke his foot not even 2 weeks before the trip, so he could only go on LNM...when he goes back in the summer and if I come along...then I'll ride everything.

fishman100

Mega Poster
I have no idea; I've never been to BG there...or Florida, period :p

My friend who has been there said it was great. There are more coasters there, if you're wondering.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
nemesis567 said:
Great report! I really want to go there, how is it compared to BG Florida?

It's been several years since I've been to BGT so I don't know how valid my assessment is considering they've added Sheikra and Cheetah Hunt since then, but like BGW it's a very nice park. Clean, very well-themed, great animal exhibits, and quality (albeit numerically few) roller coasters. They're hard to compare head-to-head because they sort of aim to achieve different things. BGT aims for more of a high-thrills safari experience, while BGE creates a sense of traveling through various countries of old-world Europe.

fishman100

Mega Poster
madhjsp said:
nemesis567 said:
Great report! I really want to go there, how is it compared to BG Florida?

It's been several years since I've been to BGT so I don't know how valid my assessment is considering they've added Sheikra and Cheetah Hunt since then, but like BGW it's a very nice park. Clean, very well-themed, great animal exhibits, and quality (albeit numerically few) roller coasters. They're hard to compare head-to-head because they sort of aim to achieve different things. BGT aims for more of a high-thrills safari experience, while BGE creates a sense of traveling through various countries of old-world Europe.

Agreed.

I have to admit-it doesn't really feel like you're traveling through different countries (but maybe that's because we were too focused on sprinting to the next coaster?)...just a whole lot of villages and houses.