What's new

Brighton's i360 Tower Approved

Dave

CF Legend
Not sure if there was even a topic for this? But the press release for Brighton's i360 was released yesterday;

110_view_of_i360.jpg

Brighton Argus said:
The nation's tallest viewing tower could be open to the public in less than two years.

The i360 was last night given the green light and work on the 175 metre tall tower next to Brighton's West Pier, offering 25 mile views along the coast could begin before the end of the year.

The viewing tower could open in April 2014 following unanimous support for the tourist attraction from Brighton and Hove City Council's cabinet members last night.

The architects behind the “tourist magnet” said that the council's approval has “unlocked” the project add that they hope to start construction by the end of the financial year next April.

Architect David Marks who has led the development said: “Its scale and design will help raise the profile of Brighton and Hove and strengthen its international profile.”

Last night (May 10) the council's cabinet agreed to a £14 million loan to kickstart work on the £35million development.

This will act as an engine room for regeneration
Bill Randall, Brighton and Hove City Council leader

Coast to Capital LEP will spend £3million on the project and the remaining funds will be sought through bank finance.

Addressing cabinet members' concerns about the cost he said that the percentage of debt required was under 50%.

He added that the business is expected to earn two and a half times more income than is needed to cover the interest and loan repayments to the council.

“If anyone stands to lose money it will firstly be us and our investors,” said Mr Marks.

“But obviously neither we nor they are going into this intending to lose any money.”

The i360 expected to create at least 154 full time jobs plus 444 more posts during the construction of the tower.

Eleanor Harris, who will be responsible for operating the i360 when it opens said: “The visitor experience on the Brighton i360 will be even better than the London Eye.

“The giant pod is incredibly spacious and will hold around 200 people compared to just 25 on the London Eye meaning that visitors can walk around and it can accommodate large groups, so for example, school groups can visit together without needing to get split up unlike on the London Eye.

“It also makes the pod an ideal venue for parties, which we think will be especially important in attracting the conference visitors to Brighton. It also will mean we can run a calendar of special events on the i360 such as graduation parties, or music, comedy and other performances during Brighton Festival and Pride.

“We have also designed top notch visitor facilities in terms of the beach-side restaurant, a shop, exhibition about the West Pier and functions rooms - all things we lacked at the London Eye, which will transform the seafront.”

In the first year it is hoped 800,000 visitors with visit it the tower, then between 700,000 and 750,000 a year after that.

Speaking in his final cabinet meeting as council leader, Bill Randall said: “This will act as an engine room for regeneration.

“You will have seen Jason Kitcat's suggestion of West Laine area in The Argus, whatever we do we need to redevelop the area.”

Labour and Co-op group leader Councillor Gill Mitchell said “I don't think that the regeneration of the area is in any doubt. That area of the city needs an anchor attraction. "

But she added that she was concerned by council reports suggesting that it would boost the income of the Regency Square car park.

“you can't have it both ways. If you want to see this as a success then you are going to have to look at parking charges and consider park and ride.”

She also raised concerns about visitor numbers.

Conservative group leader Geoffrey Theobald said: “Fingers crossed this will kick start the redevelopment of the West Pier itself.”

http://www.brightoni360.co.uk/index.html

Looking forward to following it's progress!

Edit- Jason Kitcat? Ha!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The giant pod is incredibly spacious and will hold around 200 people compared to just 25 on the London Eye meaning that visitors can walk around and it can accommodate large groups, so for example, school groups can visit together without needing to get split up unlike on the London Eye.

Yes, dear, but the London Eye is in London, with lots of nice things to look at. Your Brighton Tower is in Brighton. It may well accommodate a large school group without having to break them up, but they're not going to able to see the London sights they may have planning to view.

Daft cow.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
If this was a Merlin built tower, some websites would be all over it.

STC

Mega Poster
Ian said:
If this was a Merlin built tower, some websites would be all over it.

The irony being that Merlin's new tower in Weymouth is off-the-shelf cheap crap compared to this:

526158_393930567294829_351705994850620_1241443_165923807_n.jpg

Waffleman

Mega Poster
The London Eye is 443ft tall, and this would be 574ft. It's not that the artwork suggests it will be tall, it just will be. On a clear day I'd imagine you'll be able to see it for miles, so I'm quite surprised it's been approved.

spicy

Giga Poster
If they want to rejuvenate and improve the area surely they should consider rebuilding/removing the burnt down pier that's just rotting in the sea first?

Still 574ft is insane and it's going to be awesome, certainly going to stand out like a sore thumb though considering the tallest buildings in the area I guess aren't over 100ft.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Waffleman said:
The London Eye is 443ft tall, and this would be 574ft. It's not that the artwork suggests it will be tall, it just will be. On a clear day I'd imagine you'll be able to see it for miles, so I'm quite surprised it's been approved.

Yeah I read it, but 574' means nothing to me. The artwork was what gave me a real sense of how tall it's going to be, and I still stand by my labeling of eyesore. At least the London Eye looks pretty cool and offers you stunning views of the capital...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^The London Eye was labeled by many as an "eyesore" before and during construction. Plus it was an "enormous waste of money for something that will only be there for a year or two."

There's no view to speak of in Brighton that's going to be ruined. It sure as hell doesn't have the architecture and history of London, especially in that area.

However, therein lies the problem, there's really not a great deal to see from the tower once you're on it, but will that actually matter? The height alone will attract plenty of people. Hell, that piece of **** tower in Rhyl ran successfully for years, and there's less than **** all to see from there unless you're a fan of spotting burnt-out cars.

Snoo

The Legend
Gavin, you should be a marketer for the UK. You'd multiply the number of visitors to the UK x10.

Martyn B

CF Legend
This seems a little odd to me. Firstly, the Brighton Wheel or whatever its called opened recently. Yes its not as big, but its all about the view! Secondly, I get the impression that is very windy a LOT in Brighton, wouldn't that hamper the operation of it?

Treeis

Mega Poster
Oh...wow! I was reading this whole thread thinking this was going to be built in Blackpool. But Brighton...well that will have some nice views

Jake

Strata Poster
How did I miss this?!

It's fab that it's finally happening, but a shame I'll be leaving soon. You'll totes be able to see it from my window too </3.

Dave

CF Legend
Apparently it'll be around £25 to go up on the i360! Ridiculous!

More expensive then Spinnakers annual pass!