What's new

Boy hit by bird on Kingda Ka

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Ouch!
A boy was hit in the face by a bird while riding the Kingda Ka roller coaster at a Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey Thursday, a spokeswoman for the amusement park said.
The boy was taken to an area hospital with minor injuries to his face and neck after the 4:45 p.m. accident at the park in Jackson, said the spokeswoman.
The 12-year-old boy, Shane Matus of Howell Township, told NBC 10 Philadelphia the coaster was returning to the station when he collided with the bird. He wondered if somebody threw a ball when he felt the impact.
"When I started spitting out feathers, I was like, 'that was a bird,'" he said.
Matus had bruises and scratches on his neck and face from where the bird struck him. He believes the bird was a pigeon.
"They say the bird exploded," he said. "It hurt a lot for like three seconds. People behind us had feathers and blood all over them."
The 45-story Kingda Ka coaster, which reaches speeds of up to 128 mph, was shut down for 30 minutes after the incident.

Source (video):
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Bird-Strikes-Roller-Coaster-Rider-Six-Flags-163933206.html

Ethan

Strata Poster
Your right, he's lucky he wasn't going any faster. Surely at higher speeds an impact like this could kill someone?

Nic

Strata Poster
^Anything's possible, but it would certainly be horrible. I got hit in the face by a sizeable fly on the launch to Stealth, and it was REALLY painful. I can only begin to imagine how vile it'd be to get hit by a bird.

Gazza

Giga Poster
fabio1.jpg

Had to be posted.

bmac

Giga Poster
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxEUW3pQX6A[/youtube]

For comparison's sake let's just say the kid is going at the speed of a Randy Johnson fast ball (about 100 mph)

Error

Strata Poster
IntaminToWin said:
This sort of thing is why rides will need windshields if they want to keep breaking speed records.

I could punch you in your regions for such talk!

Snoo

The Legend
They won't. It's like the height barrier.. it becomes impractical. 149mph is too much as is.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
Snoo said:
They won't. It's like the height barrier.. it becomes impractical. 149mph is too much as is.

I have a feeling they'll keep trying...but yes. Speed is pointless if the layout is stupid *ahem Kingda Ka* *ahem TTD*

bmac

Giga Poster
For the prices that the accelerator coasters are hitting (Formula Rossa pushed $30 million) I really doubt we'll be seeing anything go faster than Formula Rossa, no matter how short of time it's at that speed. I also doubt there will be another strata-coaster, but Intamin still offers it so it can happen.

Luxornv

Mega Poster
Ethan said:
Your right, he's lucky he wasn't going any faster. Surely at higher speeds an impact like this could kill someone?

They tested something similar to this on Mythbusters a while back. There's a rather large beetle (can't remember the name of it), native to Africa, that could cause a fatal injury at about 80 mph. The beetle weighed far less than a typical bird, so I think something like this could have been fatal if it was on the launch. It also depends on where it hits. On Mythbusters, they were testing based on the weakest point on the body, which is the neck. However, if it hit him in the chest, then it would probably just hurt with no significant injuries.

bmac

Giga Poster
I saw pictures of the kid, he got hit on the side of the neck like right on the jaw. Don't know what caused the kid to look to the side but he would've gotten a face full of bird if it didn't happen.