What's new

Real Madrid World | Hala Madrid | GCI Wooden Hybrid Coaster | 2024?

vaugc002

Mega Poster
I'm intrigued: can airtime quantifiably be measured then?
And if so, surely the amount of airtime differs morning vs afternoon as the coaster warms up.
And for a coaster not tested yet, can they be certain it'll hold such a record?

Hmmmm looks great and a cool theme too but sounds a bit of a dubious record.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I'm intrigued: can airtime quantifiably be measured then?
And if so, surely the amount of airtime differs morning vs afternoon as the coaster warms up.
And for a coaster not tested yet, can they be certain it'll hold such a record?

Hmmmm looks great and a cool theme too but sounds a bit of a dubious record.
It says "the most airtimes", so it could be they're talking about the number of airtime moments rather than number of seconds airborne. Either way, it should be pretty easy to measure. Anything below zero G counts as airtime, doesn't it?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It says "the most airtimes", so it could be they're talking about the number of airtime moments rather than number of seconds airborne. Either way, it should be pretty easy to measure. Anything below zero G counts as airtime, doesn't it?
Below 1G - surely?

Between 1G and 0G - floater airtime.
Less than 0G - ejector airtime.

Rate of change of that force determines whether it hits the flojector sweet-spot.

Trax

Hyper Poster
Maybe it’s just me, but I wouldn’t consider anything above 0g as real airtime. It is AIR time and not „time spend in your seat but weighting slightly less than usual“. I see the argument that something like 0,1g might be considered floater, due to it being hard to distinguish from pure weightlessness.

Hyperions Floater hill (official term from Intamin) has about -0.2 and feels pretty floaty.
GCI has stated in interviews that their Millenium Flyer trains are only capable of achieving 0g, but it can confirm that they still go into mild airtime pops from time to time. I don’t know about Joris @ Efteling, but Troy does hit barely below 0g at any point of the ride. Joris should do more at the triple up.

GCI likes to use rapid transitions to make you feel airtime even though you don’t actually pop out of your seat.

just my 2 cents

Last edited:

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Could "most airtimes" be the most airtime moments rather than strongest airtime? Or most amount of time spent out of the seat?

Trax

Hyper Poster
Most amount of airtime will be hard, rides like El Toro and Colossos have plenty of airtime and are huge, I don’t see GCI being able to beat those. But the most airtime moments sound reasonable. GCI likes to include those small pops anyway, and just focussing more on them is not impossible.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
GCI likes to use rapid transitions to make you feel airtime even though you don’t actually pop out of your seat.
I believe this is the design philosophy behind the little straight segments between elements B&M have started including too - you have a strong positive force, a momentary respite, then more strong positive force. It's not technically hitting anything less than 1G, but compared to the +2G the moment before and after it feels like a pop of airtime. I think GCI employ a similar tactic with their changes in direction - you're almost being moved around so much that you lose track of whether it's airtime, laterals, rotational forces, or a combination of all of them.

Trax

Hyper Poster
They get quite often close to 0g, but rarely below. But I see why those transitions are considered airtime and I have to agree that they certainly feel like it. If you are interested in some numbers, this is a G-Force onride from Troy @ Toverland. Might give you a feel how Bollywood Park intends to take the record.

richardcrete

Mega Poster
dubai-parks-and-resorts-expansion-515.jpg

Source :