What's new

Blood, Organ and Bone Marrow Donation

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Here we go then, seeing as some people consider this government (Tories) to be homophobic, they're planning to remove the gay blood donation ban.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14824310

In all honestly, back in the 80's when it was harder to screen for the disease, it was right to ban it. Nowadays there is no excuse.

Although gay men will have to abstain from sex for a year before they can donate, which is, well, a bit gay.

If I needed blood urgently, I couldn't give a **** who it come from, as long as it's "clean".

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, that's not removing it, that's making it look like they removed it, when it's actually the exact same ban.

How many gays aren't going to have had ANY cock in the last year? Until Ciall comes out, I'd say the number is about zero.

Absolutely zero progress, except for the "curious" straights... And by that I mean, afraid gays.

marc

CF Legend
God it feels like us gays are always moaning lol.

Tbh zero progress has been made, don't people get that fact that STDS are not just a gay thing and anyone can get things.

Oh well.

Dave

CF Legend
Surely if you want to donate blood and you're gay should go for a HIV/Aids test and if you're clean you get a doctors note to say you can donate blood? Surely it's that easy....but I guess not...

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Ben said:
Yeah, that's not removing it, that's making it look like they removed it, when it's actually the exact same ban.

How many gays aren't going to have had ANY cock in the last year? Until Ciall comes out, I'd say the number is about zero.

Absolutely zero progress, except for the "curious" straights... And by that I mean, afraid gays.

<3

But I still see it as a step, if anything. A small step. And Ben, just so you know, I'm probably bisexual.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Dave said:
Surely if you want to donate blood and you're gay should go for a HIV/Aids test and if you're clean you get a doctors note to say you can donate blood? Surely it's that easy....but I guess not...

Well, it's all about stopping the risk at the start I guess. It's the same reason you're not supposed to donate if you've had a tattoo or piercing in the last 6 (or is it 12) months.

It's more than HIV/Aids, it's also Hepatitis. The reason is all to do with the fact these diseases are easier to transfer if there is contamination direct to the blood supply. You're more likely to bleed during anal sex internally so the transfer possibilities are increased.

I dunno, it does all seem a bit silly to be honest. If you got Hep-B or HIV from a tattoo 7 months ago, would you likely know when you came to give blood after the allowed time? Yeah, there's an increased risk and they're better perhaps just cutting out the workload, but I don't see it? If every ounce of blood needs screening anyway and there's not enough of it, then why not let everyone give and just increase the number of failures - I doubt it would be so high as to make it infeasible.

Error

Strata Poster
I give blood as often as I can, as of late I can't due to working. I just opted on my driver's license to donate all my organs they could use. I mean, I'm not going to be using them, so why keep them?