What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach - Potential New Attraction on Trauma Towers Spot

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
So some new markings have appeared on the AstroTurf around the old Trauma Towers location:-

DnJI6VTX4AAHIlC.jpg

DnJI6VRWsAAbo0L.jpg

DnJI6VTXsAIO6S3.jpg

DnJI6VcX0AE2zGE.jpg

So what could these markings be for? Something to do with Halloween? A new ride for 2019/2020? Some kind of shop or restaurant? I guess we'll have to find out. What do you guys think?

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Markings on an area that has been used as the site of a temporary stage or screen numerous times this year? The weekend before an event that will use this temporary stage will take place?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Then explain why no-one has noticed any of the markings when the screen has appeared before the other late night ridings.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
I've heard a rumour a few times that there will be a coaster in 2020 (Mack BigDipper allegedly).
But to be honest I've always disregarded it as I can't see BPB building another major coaster so soon after Icon.
Then again who knows. Might potentially be something to watch.

Last edited:

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
I can't see the very next ride being a coaster. Part of what made the build up to Icon so exciting was how big of a gap it had been since Infusion, another coaster so soon will either take away from Icon's appeal, or will struggle to top Icon's popularity with most people without time for the Icon hype to die down.

But anyway, I'm still 99.99999% sure these markings aren't for a new ride, especially a coaster.

MakoMania

Mega Poster
There was a usually reliable member on TowersStreet a few months back claiming that Icon was the first ride of a two ride deal with Mack.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I can't see the very next ride being a coaster. Part of what made the build up to Icon so exciting was how big of a gap it had been since Infusion, another coaster so soon will either take away from Icon's appeal, or will struggle to top Icon's popularity with most people without time for the Icon hype to die down.

I don't think the park depends on Icon in particular being popular, though. If another coaster comes to steal its thunder, it will still draw guests to the park, and I bet the management don't care much about which rides the guests go on once they have paid the ticket price.

But yeah, it does seem a little early for BPB to fork out for another major ride. Where would they have gotten the money for that so soon? No, I'm more inclined to believe these marks are to set up a scene or something made from Europallets and fibre boards.

Smithy

Strata Poster
BPB won't have the finances for another big ride. I'm admittedly a bit rusty with how they were doing the past few seasons but unless there's been a massive lottery win, they'll be paying for Icon for the next couple of years at least and I can't see them taking on another heavy investment so soon.

MakoMania

Mega Poster
BPB won't have the finances for another big ride. I'm admittedly a bit rusty with how they were doing the past few seasons but unless there's been a massive lottery win, they'll be paying for Icon for the next couple of years at least and I can't see them taking on another heavy investment so soon.
BPB are building a £12 million hotel for 2019, investment is great at the moment

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I personally don't think we are seeing a coaster here. If it is actually a ride (which currently I am hesitant on) I think we will be looking at some kind of flat ride. The fact that Mack don't offer anything substantial in their portfolio that the PB hasn't already got, leads me to believe it may not actually be a Mack Rides ride. Where did the rumours of a two-ride deal come from?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
BPB are building a £12 million hotel for 2019, investment is great at the moment

Not sure if that convinces me. Okay, they might have had money for Icon and a hotel, but even more than that? Both those things separately appear to be greater than any regular investment done in the park since The Big One, and now Amanda has managed to find the funds for three such big investments?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Not sure if that convinces me. Okay, they might have had money for Icon and a hotel, but even more than that? Both those things separately appear to be greater than any regular investment done in the park since The Big One, and now Amanda has managed to find the funds for three such big investments?
Probably talking out my ass, but maybe they have been saving the money up for years, and only recently they formulated a plan with what they wanted to do with it, which included Icon, a hotel and another ride. I'm more than likely wrong, but it's an idea I had.

EDIT:- I just remembered that at an interview with Nick Thompson on Icon's media day, Nick Thompson claimed that the park will be investing in 3-4 rides in the next 7 year. That means a new ride every 2-3 years is likely to occur, just like it has done the past few years (NL (2011), W&G (2013), Sky Force (2015), Icon (2018)), so a new ride in 2020 is more than likely.

Last edited:

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
EDIT:- I just remembered that at an interview with Nick Thompson on Icon's media day, Nick Thompson claimed that the park will be investing in 3-4 rides in the next 7 year. That means a new ride every 2-3 years is likely to occur, just like it has done the past few years (NL (2011), W&G (2013), Sky Force (2015), Icon (2018)), so a new ride in 2020 is more than likely.
You mean this? Nick seems to infer there's more major additions coming to the park and it does lineup with the rumours of a 2/3 ride deal with Mack.

Also apparently @Scott88 has heard something about the next attraction currently named "E30". I've heard it will be a Mack BigDipper with a layout similar to Lost Gravity. A BigDipper would be a good option to pick as they seem to be coasters which are compact, cheap and offer a good ride experience, I would be 100% down even if it was a Lost Gravity clone.

With regards to it being a flat, I wouldn't be disappointing either, that section of the park feels a bit uncomplete where Mouse and Trauma were. It just needs something.

Last edited:

Smithy

Strata Poster

Can't really compare securing funding for a hotel that will have an income year-round with investing in a rollercoaster where the returns are one big question mark.

Probably talking out my ass, but maybe they have been saving the money up for years, and only recently they formulated a plan with what they wanted to do with it, which included Icon, a hotel and another ride. I'm more than likely wrong, but it's an idea I had.
Yeah, I think you are; how would they be saving up money if for several years they were los

rob666

Hyper Poster
The last I heard...from one associated with the park and usually doesnt tell many fibs, is that there will be a second Mack coaster...IF Icon is a big success.
To put it bluntly, I have not noticed much of an increase in attendance this year, despite the hot summer and big new coaster.
And ATI...what makes you think the park has been saving money up for years???
All the recent reports suggest they have been slowly clearing outstanding debt, and have only just got round to being on a reasonably good financial position to take on fresh debt to build a new coaster.
I would guess that the spray marks are for Hallow'een, another big ride won't happen for three or four years, at least.
Hope I'm wrong though!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
To put it bluntly, I have not noticed much of an increase in attendance this year, despite the hot summer and big new coaster.
Not sure if I fully agree with this. The park seems to have been more consistently busy this year, and the late night riding events have been a HUGE hit with the GP. The park was quiet before Icon opened, as everyone was waiting for it to open before they visited, so I presume attendance/revenue will be similar to last year. Of course, we'll find out for sure when the park post their financial status at the end of the year.

Matt N

CF Legend
I had it in my head that Icon had flopped quite badly in terms of guest figures, so I'm glad to hear that the park is at least slightly higher this season in terms of guest figures. Icon is a brilliant ride, and Blackpool absolutely deserves success in 2018, in my opinion!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I had it in my head that Icon had flopped quite badly in terms of guest figures, so I'm glad to hear that the park is at least slightly higher this season in terms of guest figures. Icon is a brilliant ride, and Blackpool absolutely deserves success in 2018, in my opinion!
I think Icon will be more of a long-term success than a short-term success. Merlin likes to have as much money as they can in the shortest space of time, but Blackpool will probably want to spread their income out so they can plan ahead into the future.