What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

Lofty

CF Legend
They added another train today, so it's been operating three trains during the afternoon with many empty seats per train.

henryjwillis

Mega Poster
Finally got on today! Absolutely loved it and pretty sure it's my favourite coaster now, topping Nemesis. There were a few dead spots and I do wish there were some more proper airtime hills and/or inversions but the ejector going off the top hat on back row as well as on the other 'proper' hill was great. Enjoyed the front too but not nearly as much as the airtime was considerably weaker as others have said. I did notice a fair bit of a rattle, more than I was expecting actually, but it definitely didn't ruin the experience at all (although did have to take a break after 4 in a row). I am glad my expectations were lowered slightly by some reviews as if I'd have been expecting to have my mind completely blown I would've been disappointed.

I couldn't believe how quick the operations were, they definitely could've got away with 2 trains. It was literally walk on every time and was only on a full train about half the time. Even for the front the maximum I waited was two trains. Can't speak more highly of the ops (apart from being stapled once), the only time there was significant stacking was if people were faffing about with bags or they were cleaning up sick lol.

Also, haven't been on PMBO in years and **** me I forgot how bad that thing is. Somehow got cramp and was hobbling around for a good 20 minutes looking like an idiot.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
I rode today too, 5 times in total. Did back row first early on, it was OK, had a bit of airtime and an insignificant amount of rattle. Did front row straight after and it was way better, with the whole ride seeming faster and the immersion into the misty tunnels being superb. Rode again later in the day and it had definitely warmed up. Did another back row ride which was much better than the morning, and two more on the front which were brilliant - certainly better at the front for me, this one. On my last ride I got some great floater airtime over the top hat and on all rides there were a few small pops of ejector around the layout. The hangtime in the two inversions is good, but the two launches are a bit underwhelming (though going into the mist is great!) I think I prefer the first half to the second personally.

The interactions with the other rides are great, the trains are lovely, the soundtrack is good but the theming otherwise is a bit tacky for my liking. There are way too many steps when leaving the ride - surely a bridge over the launch track would've been better? Overall it's a top class ride that is fun, not intense but very reridable. It doesn't beat Nemesis as best UK coaster for me but it's a clear second and just scrapes into my Top 10 for now. Most of all it shows up nearly all the other coasters in the park as being horribly rough and outdated. Infusion and Big Dipper in particular are no fun at all and The Big One is terrible after the first drop (which is still pretty great).

Queues were under 10 minutes all day and it was running 3 trains for most of the afternoon. What was interesting was when we were having a drink on the balcony at Coasters and it was running empty trains while they took the third train off, it was so quiet - such a contrast to the other rickety coasters nearby!

elephant58

Hyper Poster
I've not been on since I was 9 so I can't remember, but why is the Big One meant to be so bad? Is it because it's rough or more that it's pretty dull and lacks any forces?

James F

Hyper Poster
For me, it's mostly because apart from the first drop it's really boring and a waste of potential and because I am a tall person, sitting in the middle or back row of the cars can be uncomfortable for my knees.

With that being said the ride isn't terrible. The first drop is forceful and the views you get of the Irish sea and Blackpool are fantastic. Decent ride, but it could be a lot, lot better.
I've not been on since I was 9 so I can't remember, but why is the Big One meant to be so bad? Is it because it's rough or more that it's pretty dull and lacks any forces?

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

Lofty

CF Legend
A few weeks ago when I did The Big One, it was running so roughly the entire ride, it's put me off even bothering again to be honest. It offers me nothing but back pain.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Yup, an hours ert after first ride on Icon left me suffering for days!
Serves me right for hanging out the side.
Going on straight after Icon really makes the big one feel like a real bone shaker.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
I'm going to a wedding in Staffordshire next year, I will have a Saturday or Sunday spare. Do I:

a) be lazy and head to Alton Towers for a day as it's so close by to where I'll be, or
b) add an extra two hours (each way) on top of an already long ass journey from the South and go to BPB for the day and hit up Icon?

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
A few weeks ago when I did The Big One, it was running so roughly the entire ride, it's put me off even bothering again to be honest. It offers me nothing but back pain.
I feel much the same, but moreso about Infusion and Big Dipper. I would happily never ride either of them again unless they get some serious improvements done to them. I know it'll never happen but I'd rather BPB spent £5million on retracking the woodies and new trains for Infusion than spend it on a new ride.

sandgrown

Mega Poster
I feel much the same, but moreso about Infusion and Big Dipper. I would happily never ride either of them again unless they get some serious improvements done to them. I know it'll never happen but I'd rather BPB spent £5million on retracking the woodies and new trains for Infusion than spend it on a new ride.

Forget Infusion, but retracking the National would be fantastic. The Big Dipper and Roller Coaster are pretty much how they always have been, and I don't think there's an issue with them. They're acceptably rough. The National has got into a state though. It's supposed to give you a gentle bruising, but it's a borderline twatting these days.

James F

Hyper Poster
Grand National is great if you love pain. There is a line of roughness which can be fun and acceptable on a wooden coaster. The Big Dipper is within that line, sure it trashes you around a bit, but it's not painful. The national used to be my favorite ride at PB, it's just pure pain now. Like the stooges song it's "no fun".

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

Will

Strata Poster
I actually find Big Dipper to be worse of late, to the point that I avoid it, while 15 years or so back, I thought it was amazing. National hurts, but I'll put up with it once or twice as I'm usually visiting with people who really like it. As for The Big One though, I have to agree with Lofty, the whole thing just felt like shockwaves going all the way up my spine, not at all a pleasant experience. If something can be done to make these rideable again, without completely destroying their character, then I reluctantly agree that this should take priority over new rides.

As for Infusion, I've ridden an SLC with the new headbang free trains and it was still like a bag of nails. You can't polish a ****.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
As for Infusion, I've ridden an SLC with the new headbang free trains and it was still like a bag of nails. You can't polish a :emoji_poop:.
So have I to be fair, and you're right, but it would help a little.

I agree with all your other points too, National is in essence a fun coaster so you can accept the roughness to a point. Big Dipper is just a boring ride, rough or not. I hadn't ridden it for probably 20 years until this past week and now I feel like it should be the prime candidate for an RMC Iron Horse treatment even though that would make some people incredibly angry.

Matt N

CF Legend
As for Infusion, I've ridden an SLC with the new headbang free trains and it was still like a bag of nails. You can't polish a :emoji_poop:.
Oh god. I'm visiting for the first time in August, and Infusion will be my first ever SLC, so part of me is mentally preparing myself for what could very well be my least favourite coaster. However, I'm also holding out that it might not be as awful as everyone says SLCs are. From what I can gather, though, SLCs are rides that you ride for the credit and never ride again for the most part. In the eyes of many enthusiasts, anyway.