What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

Will

Strata Poster
As others have said, we've basically got Wicker Man in reverse - with WM, we'd all been expecting utter mediocrity, so when it was slightly better than that, it seemed a huge win. Here, we've had ~120 pages talking about how the ride will be the best in the UK (never likely, in my book as it's not built by B&M) and so anything less than that makes it feel flat.

Having said that, the reviews from so-called-VIP and media are still to be taken with a sizeable pinch of salt, as a few people have said. Let the dust settle from 'new ride syndrome' or better yet, ride it yourself and draw your own conclusion! Rides tend not to be running at their best in their first few weeks of operation, but the first of the semi-reliable reviews will probably start to appear today.

henryjwillis

Mega Poster
Yeah, it was very unlikely it was going to live up to the crazy high expectations people had. However, it's still arguably the most exciting thing to happen to the UK theme park industry for decades. Those who have been able to ride coasters all round the world may not thing this is top 10 or 20 worthy but for myself and many others who haven't ridden any coasters abroad I still reckon it'll be fab.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Poke is right - it’s a solid ride and something everyone should do. I’m hoping it’s a grower.

davidm

Strata Poster
Coaster Touring has applied a video filter to remove the fish eye lense effect, and makes the ride seem slightly faster:-
Huh weird ; that youtube link is now to the CF copy of the POV (the original wide-angle one) - has someone been sneakily editting the only useful post ATI has ever made?
The processed one is here ; youtu.be/iDwz-kUm2d4 (link rather than embedded)

James F

Hyper Poster
So it's opening day and I am at the park. Icon's queue is only 15 minutes. Strange. They are running it well though, operations wise.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Is it running all 3 trains? Did they have an opening ceremony before the ride opened this morning? And finally, is the rattle very noticable?

James F

Hyper Poster
Pretty sure it's running on two. No rattle, not sure where that came from and no there was no opening ceremony, but PB told everyone the ride won't open until one. They lied for crowd control.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ThrillX_the_Xplorer

Roller Poster
I wonder if the park would ever consider increasing the launch speeds, if they do indeed have the ability to do so? Might be an extra marketing angle to it, like, if in a few weeks/months/year they publicly announce that Icon is now faster for an even more intense ride? That would certainly help recapture people that have already ridden the coaster whilst also attracting some of the doubters?

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I wonder if the park would ever consider increasing the launch speeds, if they do indeed have the ability to do so? Might be an extra marketing angle to it, like, if in a few weeks/months/year they publicly announce that Icon is now faster for an even more intense ride? That would certainly help recapture people that have already ridden the coaster whilst also attracting some of the doubters?
Has any park ever done this? Always wondered whether it was a thing that parks could do.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
^ they didn’t increase the actual speed of the coaster though, just the acceleration.

Icon does appear like it could do with a bit more speed, it looks like it crawls through the roll.

airtime_uk_ash

Mega Poster
Pretty sure the original markings said 100 kmph launch. So it's possible if the hardware wasn't changed. I believe the launch speed is already variable depending on wind speed and direction anyway

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk