What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Future Predictions

Its nearly a year since the last post on here, so I was thinking about the future of Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Obviously there is a debate on the future of Nickelodeon Land (Beaver Creek returning), as well as the long term future of certain attractions that could face the axe. Thoughts?

I wish people would SHUT UP about RMC and focus on the MOST LIKELY OPTIONS:

• Mack Family Spinning Coaster
  • Mack Big Dipper
  • Mack Powered Inverted Coaster ( Expansion/Retheme of Nickelodeon Land )
  • Mack Extreme Spinning Coaster ( First in UK )
  • Any Other Mack coaster
I'd be a fan of all of them options

Benenen

Hyper Poster
A Mack powered invert is highly improbable, where would that fit exactly with a show building? Arthur takes up the space of probably half the Pleasure Beach!

A Mack Spinner or Big Dipper could well happen when BPB finally get a new coaster. Please be mindful of your tone when posting IntaminFan, a tirade like that may be better suited to the Facebook groups than the forums.

If the Nickelodeon Land IP is running out at the end of 2021, what is everyone's predictions for replacements of the area?

Plus, with Valhalla reopening in 2022, would they save money and wait till 2023, meaning the area would be closed from public access throughout the season (if the area was being restructured with a Mack Inverted Powered Coaster or something major) or summer time closure (for just rethemes) or would it be introduced the same year as Valhalla refurb and then 2023 is just a year off?

I wish people would SHUT UP about RMC and focus on the MOST LIKELY OPTIONS:

• Mack Family Spinning Coaster
  • Mack Big Dipper
  • Mack Powered Inverted Coaster ( Expansion/Retheme of Nickelodeon Land )
  • Mack Extreme Spinning Coaster ( First in UK )
  • Any Other Mack coaster
I'd like any of them and I think the RMC thing is more of a running joke than anything else to be honest.

Matt N

CF Legend
I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we do see the park team up with Mack again whenever they build their next coaster, and I could see either one of a Mack BigDipper or Mack XTREME Spinning Coaster working well, personally.

Interestingly, I’ve actually heard it suggested numerous times that Icon was meant to be the first of a two-coaster deal with Mack Rides, with the second coaster coming in 2020/2021. I’m not entirely sure what the second Mack coaster was supposed to be, but intriguingly, I’ve actually heard rumblings that the ride we now know as Ride to Happiness at Plopsaland de Panne was originally designed for Blackpool Pleasure Beach as a follow-up to Icon, but the project was scrapped after Icon failed financially for the park, and the ride later ended up at Plopsaland instead.

So I definitely think that the XTREME Spinning Coaster is a model that must have been on the Thompsons’ radar at some point in time, or at very least, the concept of another Mack roller coaster is one that has very much been on the table...

Matt N

CF Legend
They can't afford a third hand wacky worm at the moment.
After the flop that was Icon, no new coasters for a decade.
Wow; are they really that short of money? I’ll admit I’m a bit surprised by that... I always thought that they were similarly financially padded to the Merlin parks, albeit a bit less so after Icon’s failure, and a bit less protected due to their family-owned status.

rob666

Hyper Poster
They lost hand over fist last year, limited entry, closed for big chunks of the season, extra staff, fewer food and drink sales, and an early close, despite late season plans.
There is zero money for new rides, especially after the Icon flop...sixteen million quid for zero extra punters.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Was last season actually as much as flop as your making out for them?

The summer was insanely busy, a lot busier than I’ve seen it previous years, despite the ‘restricted’ capacity.

I do think that last year would have been tough in the closed months for them but whilst they were actually open the park seemed to be having a good season from what I could tell from all my visits.

rob666

Hyper Poster
The early weekends last year were never more than steady, a good weather Easter and Spring Bank were completely lost, and the park was less than full in the peak period, when it is usually busy anyway. Weekdays in September and October pre half term were rather quiet.
Extra costs from cleaning staff, perspex and security, signs and steri kits made many days less than profitable.
The extended season was lost with the end of half term.
The park was already skint from the Icon flop.
They have lost another eight weeks of early season, when they are the only big park open, and another fine Easter school break.
The Valhalla fix takes cash in large amounts, that they haven't got.
No chance of a big new coaster outside the usual cycle, which is every decade or so.
I wish it would be otherwise.

MarsdenDean

Roller Poster
The early weekends last year were never more than steady, a good weather Easter and Spring Bank were completely lost, and the park was less than full in the peak period, when it is usually busy anyway. Weekdays in September and October pre half term were rather quiet.
Extra costs from cleaning staff, perspex and security, signs and steri kits made many days less than profitable.
The extended season was lost with the end of half term.
The park was already skint from the Icon flop.
They have lost another eight weeks of early season, when they are the only big park open, and another fine Easter school break.
The Valhalla fix takes cash in large amounts, that they haven't got.
No chance of a big new coaster outside the usual cycle, which is every decade or so.
I wish it would be otherwise.
Has Ikon not generated more income for them? Its a decent ride but I fear it needed to be a lot more. Its the type of coaster you can invest in if your park already has a very good line up. I like BPB but they live too much in the past. Re tracking the big one is pointless tbh but I'm glad they are doing something with Valhalla

rob666

Hyper Poster
Attendance was pretty much unchanged with the arrival of Icon, sadly.
Never officially admitted, but financially, the ride was a complete flop.

Bentleya

Mega Poster
But maintaining attendance is equally as important as trying to get more people through the gates?

I really don’t think you can class it as a flop just because there wasn’t a sharp rise in attendance figures - there is far too many other factors involved.

A flop in my eyes would be when the GP has no interest in actually riding it.