What's new

BGE - Big Bad Wolf closing?

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Screamscape said:
Park News - (6/1/09) For the past week or so I’ve been trying to track down any solid leads to a very disturbing rumor about a popular ride that could be leaving the Williamsburg park... and so far I’ve only met with silence. I’m not convinced this rumor is true so I’m going to keep digging until I find out more, but on the off chance that it is true, I feel everyone deserves a fair warning so you can start planning a trip to get your possible last ride in.
That said, the nasty rumor buzzing around the park is that this could be the last season for the Big Bad Wolf.

There was also something mentioned later in the post about BGE opening a new country in the area formerly occupied by Drachen Fire and currently occupied by BBW.

Obviously this isn't the most reputable source, but I was wondering if anyone else on here has heard anything to back this up?

Snoo

The Legend
I've heard this rumor, but it would indeed be a sad day for the coaster community if another Arrow suspended, with quite possibly the best name ever, dies.

But, on the long shot that is does, who knows what BGE would put in its place.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Assuming the lovefest between Busch and B&M continues, and given the success of Manta, my guess would be a flyer.

But I definitely agree. BBW is an iconic coaster and still a great ride after all these years. It would be a shame to see it go.

Snoo

The Legend
Or they could just do something where Drachen Fire used to be.. Flyer is always a possibility.. Mega-Looper? Nahh..

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Or what if B&M re-built Drachen Fire the way they would have if they could in 1992?
I guess I can dream on :p

Yah, a flyer seems like a reasonable choice for the park if they were to take down Big Bad Wolf. It'd really be a shame if they did though, as it's something I've always kinda wanted to ride.

pkiknex25

Mega Poster
Unfortunately, I think this move will happen. BBW out, new land in with a B&M Flyer included.

I would love to see Drachen Fire as a B&M.

RCF

Strata Poster
Man I'm gonna miss BBW if they do remove it. It's been a great ride for a long time, and it'll really suck to see it go.

ibreathesbs

Mega Poster
Shame on BGE if they decide to do this. I ride BBW atleast 4 times every visit. No matter how crowded. BBW is the ultimate in building collision avoidance. :lol:

Snoo

The Legend
I'd love it to stay simply because there aren't many good Arrow Suspended coasters left.. and this is one of the better ones.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
BBW is celebrating it's 25th anniversary with lots of fanfare this year, queues are still long, plus there's the whole InBev not wanting to sink-more-money-into-the-parks thing. So I doubt these rumors are true, but you never know. It would be a real shame as it's the best suspended coaster on these shores & I'd hate to see it go. BGW needs more coasters, not take away one to build another. It would be great if they could add another in the area behind the Festhaus, but that would require them finding a new area to hold corporate events, etc.

A

Anonymous

i hope they don't rmove BBW, they have removed too many rides in their parks lately

wolverinechris

Mega Poster
From my perspective, if they remove this, it's really going to cut down on my desire to go back to the park. The other rides are decent (well, except for Apollo's), but not really noteworthy. BBW stands out in my head as the reason to go to BGE; it's certainly the one I'd most look forward to reriding if I ever went back.

It's weird to see such different parks so close to each other. PKD was already much more impressive to me, and they just added Dominator, and with the new rumors...I guess if a family's in Williamsburg for the colonial part, they probably don't think about going to Richmond for an amusement park.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
I can't think this is more than smoke and mirrors.

Entry to the old Drachen Fire site was possible when the coaster was still there, and is still possible now that it's gone. (They have an annual haunt in the station building.)

So, either there is far more problems with BBW than anyone is letting on, in which case it's probably good to get rid of it before something bad happens, or it isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.

wolverinechris

Mega Poster
Well, a certain moderator's gf spoke with a certain higher up at Busch about this. I won't spoil it in case he doesn't want to talk about it or wants to talk about it himself. But...from what he said, it doesn't sound good for our dear friend. And it sounds a bit beyond any of our control, unfortunately.

davidm

Strata Poster
S'official :-(

http://www.buschgardens.com/BGW2/Corpor ... px?id=1388

Nasty evil park bosses said:
The Big Bad Wolf to Retire After 25 Years of Service

7/24/2009

Coaster Operation Will Continue Through Labor Day 2009

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (July 24, 2009) – After 25 years traveling at the speed of fright, The Big Bad Wolf will take its last trip through Busch Gardens’ Bavarian village Sept. 7.

“We hate to see The Big Bad Wolf go,” said John Reilly, Busch Gardens’ general manager. “We realize The Big Bad Wolf is a guest favorite. We’re making the announcement now so coaster fans can ride one last time before it closes after Labor Day.”

The world’s first suspended roller coaster took coaster design to a new level when it opened in 1984. And while it cannot claim to be the fastest or the tallest, more than 29 million guests have ridden what has become one of the park’s most beloved thrill attractions. Legions of fans—young and old alike—often cite it as their introduction to the coaster experience.

“The Big Bad Wolf offers a thrilling ride experience coupled with aggressive ride dynamics. While it remains a safe attraction, it has simply reached the end of its service life,” said Larry Giles, Busch Gardens’ vice president of engineering and design.

Park officials are reviewing several design concepts for a new park attraction to replace The Big Bad Wolf, but no announcement is planned at this time.

wash

Mega Poster
That really sucks, now I'll never get to ride it. :( Busch better replace it with something mindblowingly awesome.
Oh, and BBW was not the world's first suspended coaster.