What's new

Best Woodie Combo

BBH

Giga Poster
I think the Eagle and the Viper at SFGAm compliment each other nicely.

You've got the historic, classic rough woodie mixed with one that is a mirror image of the most famous roller coaster in the world and is yet very smooth.

Awesome 1-2 woodie punch.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Knoebels & Holiday World spring pretty quickly to mind. Twister + Phoenix and Voyage + Raven are pretty nice combos.

Then there's Mount Olympus which has 3 CCI's and a Gravity Group woodie.

gopats1479

Mega Poster
@BBH is that the only park that you have been too?

Mine's Six Flags St. Louis. They have three incredibly different woodies: a vintage John C. Allen beauty, a CCI terrain hugger, and a GCI airtime popper. What else is there?

Indiana Beach actually isn't that bad either. A trio of CCI's, but all unique: a airtime monster, elevator lift, and lakeside out-and-back. Not the greatest, but worth a good trip.

BBH

Giga Poster
I've been to SFNE and wasn't that impressed with the woodies there, so my vote is SFGAm.

TilenB

Strata Poster
From those I've been to, I have to say SFMM with Colossus and Apocalypse, but so far I've only been on 4 woodies, so...
As of the other parks - Holiday World, Knoebels and Mt. Olympus

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Colossus and Apocalypse are two very underrated wooden coaster. Apocalypse is one of my top GCIs, especially for how short it is.

Holiday World and Knoebels for sure. Hershey isn't too shabby either.

bmac

Giga Poster
Mike said:
Lake Compounce has Boulder Dash and...errr... Wildcat... But Boulder Dash, so it wins! :)

You can say the same for Great Adventure, too. El Toro is so good it makes up for Rolling Thunder's age and tameness.

Kings Dominion also has a decent combination of wood, Grizzly and Rebel Yell compliment each other quite nicely and both are very classic rides.

bmac

Giga Poster
bizarrofan10 said:
At Hershery, Lightning Racer's Lightning Track + Lightning Racer's Thunder track.........boom

Give Comet some credit, it may not be the most intense woody out there but it's still a lot of fun. Same with Wildcat.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Intricks said:
Geauga Lakes were pretty fun.
Outside of the fact that Villain wanted to suck the life force out of riders and Raging Wolf Bobs invented the cupid shuffle with how much its trains rattled. :wink:

Intricks

Strata Poster
I really dont understand the hate Villain gets. Yes, it had a rough turn to me and the rest was typical wooden roughness. Please elaborate more on the severe roughness a ride supposedly has.

I only rode Raging Wolf Bobs a handful of times in all the years I had been going. It has some shuffling, but still an enjoyable ride to me.

Holiday World wins this for me, I think. Although I think Raven is very mediocre and Legend has rough days, Voyage is also there, which is my number one coaster <3 Legend does have a very good layout though, I will give it that!

Indiana Beach is an interesting one. Cornball is great with a lot of airtime, Hoosier Hurricane is just okay, and Lost Coaster is absolutely hilarious, so I think it's definitely a contender.

I do miss Geauga Lake, but I don't think their woodies were that good except Big Dipper. I think I just miss it more for the nostalgic value it has.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Intricks said:
I really dont understand the hate Villain gets. Yes, it had a rough turn to me and the rest was typical wooden roughness. Please elaborate more on the severe roughness a ride supposedly has.

I only rode Raging Wolf Bobs a handful of times in all the years I had been going. It has some shuffling, but still an enjoyable ride to me.
Villain was built on a permanent curve. Seriously.

Villain.JPG

Because of this, all airtime hills were still turns, causing riders to constantly jam into the side of the train.

At the bottom of the second drop, there was also a trick track, where the track is a straightaway that banks to one side and then the other. Trick tracks are meant to create an "out-of-control" sensation, but in Villains case it felt like the entire right side of the wheel assembly had fallen off.

villain1.jpg

As for Raging Wolf Bobs, its nice to be nostalgic and rebuild a famous wooden coaster design, but this coaster shuffled like none other, had zero airtime, and was nothing but constant turns.

I remember a fond ride I had with UC on it, when we both horrifically looked at each other as the train seemingly convulsed during a middle turn.

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster
bmac said:
bizarrofan10 said:
At Hershery, Lightning Racer's Lightning Track + Lightning Racer's Thunder track.........boom

Give Comet some credit, it may not be the most intense woody out there but it's still a lot of fun. Same with Wildcat.
I like Comet, but Wildcat is just a headbanger

Intricks

Strata Poster
^^ The turn Im referring to is the one to head back out before coming back in. That was the only noticeable "rougher than most" spot for me in that ride. I know it was built on a permanent curve, I could have told you that if I were blind and rode it. For me, it wasnt any rougher than big dipper on the odd occassion. The trick track wasnt a horrendous experience either. If anything, the "removal" of it made it worse.

So outside of the one turnaround to head back out, it was pretty much another wooden coaster. Beast immediately comes to mind for an example of a really rough wooden coaster.

As for Raging Wolf Bobs, I only ever rode it a handful of times (compared to my near 200 times on Villain) and I will admit the front car shuffled horrendously. Going up the lift you could watch it happen. I only rode 2nd car to 4th car.

Villain made my cousin's boob pop out of her shirt. It was definitely rough, but I don't think I was enough of an enthusiast back then to really realize just how rough it was. I always found Raging Wolf Bobs fun, but never anything mindblowing obviously!

I just miss that park, haha.