What's new

Best websites to count / rank coasters

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Probably answered a million times yet I’m not immediately able to find a recent thread on it (search terms are too ‘non-specific’ - although someone with more patience may have better luck).

What’s the best websites for keeping track of coaster counts? I’m only interested in keeping track of my top 50 or so. Coaster buzz was fairly good but doesn’t seem to be kept up to date (no Lech coaster). Meanwhile, Coastercount didn’t make any sense to me - I could add coasters but couldn’t seem to rank them, so gave up. Plus I tend to toddler tantrum when a ‘free service’ is deliberately unusable / pointless for the point of encouraging some sort of ‘paid participation’ - everything I clicked on required an ‘upgraded account’ (just charge up front and spare me the annoyance).

Meanwhile, the coasterbot poll thing had a super easy interface for browsing by park and then adding the coasters from that.

Not interested in excel spreadsheets or recording stats, just hoping for a nice user-friendly drag and drop thing.

Such a website must surely exist…?

Thanks.

TilenB

Strata Poster
My go-to page is coaster-count, though I agree that ranking the favorites on it is a bit awkward and doesn't allow ranking outside of your top 10. It's easily the most thorough list of coasters out there and they keep a good eye on the travelling coasters (at least in the European fair circuit).

I think Captain Coaster would be a pretty good shout for what you're looking for. Have you tried it before? Their database isn't as complete as coaster-count's, so I don't really use it as much, but their drag&drop ranking system is pretty neat.

Will

Strata Poster
Definitely coaster-count - option to enter ridden dates so things go into a nice order, you can rank a handful of favourites and then there's the maps section that helps you see if a new cred has popped up somewhere or just to help with trip planning. I do donate a few quid a year as I think it's worth it :)

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
@CanobieFan - thanks for commenting.

Can you actually rank coasters via coaster-count? I can’t see any ability to do it, on the free version at least.

Matt N

CF Legend
I'd have to give another glowing endorsement to Captain Coaster myself; it ticks all the boxes you've identified, and I personally find it a really good site for me! It isn't just a coaster counting site; it's sort of like a TripAdvisor for coasters, where you can rate rides you've ridden from 0.5-5 stars and leave longer written reviews if you wish, and also make top coaster lists of seemingly unlimited size (my top coasters ranking encompasses my entire coaster count)! The top lists are very easy to make (it's extremely similar to the CoasterBot system you mention), with you just searching for coasters and then clicking and dragging them in to place them.

One thing I would point out, though, is that you have to rate something to be able to say you've ridden it, but if you're able to rate all of the significant coasters you've ridden to a certain star rating (rounded to 0.5), then I don't see that there'd be an issue for you given what you say you want to use such a site for. You don't have to have rated something to put it into a top list, anyway; the rating only adds it to the list of coasters you've ridden on there (for instance, I've ridden 79 coasters, and for my CC profile/signature to say I've ridden 79 coasters, I have to rate all of them, but I do not have to rate all of them to put them all into my ranking list). You can also do what many say Coaster-Count does and put a date ridden for each ride when you review, so you can filter by date order if you wish!

So, yeah. I'd certainly vote Captain Coaster! If you want to take a look at the site, there's a link to my profile in my signature, and then you can just go from there!

Last edited:

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
@CanobieFan - thanks for commenting.

Can you actually rank coasters via coaster-count? I can’t see any ability to do it, on the free version at least.
Ranking isn't something I care about. I hate having to pick a top 10,20,30 whatever. C-C let's you rank a top 10 and after that just 'favorite' coasters. But I think for their yearly poll, paid accounts can submit up to top 30 for both wood and steel

Attachments

• 20220307_232132.jpg
    20220307_232132.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 13

Peet

Giga Poster
I'm a spreadsheet kinda guy, but I did try to get set up with Coaster Count a while ago. I found it took 4 or 5 clicks to add each cred, it asked lots of questions about when I first rode each coaster etc, and took a while to load between each click. Adding my 300+ creds would have taken hours so I sacked it off. Did I miss something, or are all you Coaster Count fans just way more patient than I am!?

Last edited:

TilenB

Strata Poster
I'm a spreadsheet kinda guy, but I did try to get set up with Coaster Count a while ago. I found it took 4 or 5 clicks to add each cred, it asked lots of questions about when I firt rode each coaster etc, and took a while to load between each click. Adding my 300+ creds would havd taken hours so I sacked it off. Did I miss something, or are all you Coaster Count fans just way more patient than I am!?
I guess it helps that we all started with it ages ago when the whole process of adding creds on it wasn't as burdenous as it is now. I started using it in 2012 and for a few years their smartphone web-app was still a thing and it allowed adding a bunch of coasters at once. The current site works well for someone that has been using it for years, but it's not exactly friendly for a new user (especially with an additional window warning you that you're about to tick off a defunct coaster - surely a new user with hundreds of coasters to their name will have quite a lot of those in their count).

Still, as I said, it's a great tool for tracking travelling coasters, but if you're not too concerned about those, there's likely better options available.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I'm a spreadsheet kinda guy, but I did try to get set up with Coaster Count a while ago. I found it took 4 or 5 clicks to add each cred, it asked lots of questions about when I firt rode each coaster etc, and took a while to load between each click. Adding my 300+ creds would havd taken hours so I sacked it off. Did I miss something, or are all you Coaster Count fans just way more patient than I am!?

Agree with what is said above - once you're set up, adding coasters to coaster-count is straightforward, even if a little longwinded. But for a new user (especially one with a lot of creds to add), it is a long and burden-filled process.

Matt N

CF Legend
Captain Coaster does have travelling coasters on it for you to track those, and even if a more obscure ride you’ve done isn’t on there, we have Captain Coaster mods who are active members on CF, so if you wanted to request a ride, I’m sure they’d be more than happy to add it. From having seen people on here ask for new rides to be added before, they don’t seem to mind requests for new rides; I seem to remember @HeartlineCoaster requesting a fair few, for instance, what with their coaster count having a lot of obscure Asian parks within it, and the mods were always happy to add their requests!

Although I can’t speak on behalf of CF’s Captain Coaster representatives, of course… if I’m wrong on anything there, guys, do correct me.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Thanks all, it seems that Captain Coaster is more my bag. As mentioned, I have absolutely no interest in my ‘total cred count’, but I do enjoy ranking my favourite rides. Having an easily created and amendable reference of my ongoing preferences will be very handy.

Cheers.

Matt N

CF Legend
Thanks all, it seems that Captain Coaster is more my bag. As mentioned, I have absolutely no interest in my ‘total cred count’, but I do enjoy ranking my favourite rides. Having an easily created and amendable reference of my ongoing preferences will be very handy.

Cheers.
Great stuff! If you sign up, you could even put your CC banner in your signature so that other forum members can see your profile (although it’s fair enough if you don’t want to do that, what with privacy concerns and all)!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Spreadsheets.

giphy.gif

;)

RcTmix

Mega Poster
So this thread has inspired me to check out captain coaster. I’ve set up an account, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to change my password or public username. Anyone have any idea how to do that?

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
So this thread has inspired me to check out captain coaster. I’ve set up an account, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to change my password or public username. Anyone have any idea how to do that?
From memory, you log in with Google or Facebook, so imagine it pulls your details from that? You can select to omit your surname from your display name.

MountedShooter

Mega Poster
For lifetime tracking I use the Coaster 101 spreadsheet as well as Coaster Count.

For in park logging I use the Coaster Cloud app for individual trip counts and log ride app for lifetime totals of all rides. Both make it very easy to just locate the coaster, flat, or even various shows and other events and hit a soft button to increment your total after each ride. That way I don't have to remember how many times I've ridden which rides when I get home. I just transpose that into my spreadsheet and Coaster Count.