What's new

Best Twisted Impulse Coaster

What is the best twisted impulse coaster ?

• Steel Venom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • V2

• Vertical Velocity

• Voodoo

• Wicked Twister

• Other (Europe)

• Other (Asia)

• Other (Americas)

• Total voters

theRock-steel

Mega Poster
Since these types of coasters seem to be real popular, I was wanting to find out what is anyone's favorite twisted impulse. On rcdb.com I only found U.S. Intamin's, but feel free to talk about any others.

trav

Mega Poster
I've only been on Linear Gale, which I thought was pretty good, but Wicked Twister looks the best.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The only impulses I've ridden are Linear Gale (not up to much, and not twisted anyway) and Screaming Condor, which was excellent.

I would say Wicked Twister was the best because of the height, but SC isn't that much shorter. Plus, I think I'd prefer the variety of one straight and one twisted spike, as opposed to the same on both ends, so Screaming Condor for me.

Jake

Strata Poster
Are there actually any in Europe? I can't be bothered to look, but I can't think of any...

I've only ridden Voodoo, but I prefered the twist to the straight so i'll vote for Wicked Twister.

Wicked Twister, because of the fact that the only great thing it has going for it is the twist on the back spike when you're sitting in one of the last few seats on the train. You wouldn't be able to get that on the Impulse coasters which have a straight spike at the back.

Wicked Twister for me! And I like its setting as well.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Jake said:
Are there actually any in Europe? I can't be bothered to look, but I can't think of any...
No, there aren't any. Yet.

Actually, I could see Greece or Italy getting one. Dunno why, perhaps it's that it's easier to get planning permission there for tall coasters.

And I think Wicked Twister looks the best. Or Linear Gale, for some reason, even though it's the complete opposite. Must be fun to have something reminiscent of a Shot Tower with ninety degree tilting...

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Well I have only done Wicky. I vote that. Its bloody awesome! We need one in the UK! I loved it!

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
The only other one to compete with Wicked Twister for me, would be V2 at Discovery Kingdom. The angled front spike is very interesting, so it's got the unique factor going for it.

But really, Wicked Twister is just far and above the rest. It's smooth, has a bigger height and higher speed then the rest, and has a great location out on the sand. For what it is, it's certainly a very good coaster. Other rides like Voodoo aren't too bad, but the holding brake is awful. It ruins a perfectly good floating sensation and is just annoying all around. It's not a huge deal for me, but the twisted back spike on Wicked Twister is certainly very good... and it doesn't have a brake!

Ketchup

Mega Poster
Been on V2 at SFDK.

Whilst the ride was fun, I didn't think the angled spike really had anything going for it and I even found the vertical spike more fun.

So Wicked Twister it is due to the sheer size of it.

A

Anonymous

I hope they do build one of these in Europe, and preferabally nearer to the UK if anywhere. They look so cool and intense, and I've never paid much attention to the ride design but it is rather unique and interesting. Maybe this would have been a cooler addition to Thopre in 2009, rather than a Eurofighter.

Hmmmm...

theRock-steel

Mega Poster
Pokemaniac said:
Jake said:
No, there aren't any. Yet.

Actually, I could see Greece or Italy getting one. Dunno why, perhaps it's that it's easier to get planning permission there for tall coasters.

And I think Wicked Twister looks the best. Or Linear Gale, for some reason, even though it's the complete opposite. Must be fun to have something reminiscent of a Shot Tower with ninety degree tilting...
I didn't want to do it, but the only way I found to look on rcdb for something similar but their model might have a different name, was to look at all "shuttle" coasters. There were 9 pages, but almost all were some kind of boomerang or Schwarzkopf looper. Linear Gale is in Tokyo but it does not twist. In other words, for now I don't think that there are "others" outside of the U.S. We can scratch the bottom three choices.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
^ You could just look up the impulse list on rcdb.

Screaming Condor, Leofoo Village Theme Park, Taiwan
Steel Venom, Valleyfair, USA
V2, SFDK, USA
Vertical Velocity, SFGAm, USA
Voodoo, Dorney, USA
Wicked Twister, USA
Linear Gale, Tokyo Dome City, Japan

So Screaming Condor is the only one besides Linear Gale outside the US.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
CedarPoint6 said:
Other rides like Voodoo aren't too bad, but the holding brake is awful. It ruins a perfectly good floating sensation and is just annoying all around.
Funny that almost everyone who rides Voodoo says the holding brake is the best/scariest part.

WT all the way!

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
It would have to be V2- Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.
It vary unique, unlike all the other impulse coasters.

Wicked Twister would be in a close second.
Its bigger, faster, and has a awesome twisted back spike.