What's new

Best time to visit Florida?

Martyn B

CF Legend
I'm thinking maybe June or September. I'd like to go when its kind of busy, but still not absolutely heaving.

And I'd imagine that Feb/Nov maybe the time that not every ride is available as its probably classed as 'low' season? I dunno, so any help/advice is appreciated.

Well I went in February in 2007. The parks were dead, but like you said, there were a few rides that were down for maintenence. In 2009 we went in August/September time and then in 2010 we went June/July time. In June/July, its just too busy. Everywhere is heaving. 90 minutes+ queues for everything. And you'll be lucky to not have to queue less than 2 hours for water rides.

But in August/September time, everything seems to have died down. I think a lot of the locals are back at school and the parks are considerably less busy. But it's still busy enough to have all the rides open, so thats a bonus. The only issue with going at that time is the weather. It is extremely humid and it rains pretty much everyday. It only lasts for an hour or so, but you get a massive downpour and all the rides will close. But they open up again as soon as the storm has stopped. Thats my experiences of the parks at that time anyway. But yeah, I reckon August/September.

February, March, and Early April are always great times, as children are in school for these periods of time making the parks dead.

^ And spring break, the parks are super busy during that week. Although September is a slower time, it's absolutely miserable outside, with a thunderstorm every afternoon.

walker1104 said:
But in August/September time, everything seems to have died down.
How early into August does it die down?
I'm going to Florida for the first time and were going for two weeks covering the end of July and the start of August and I'm dreading how busy the park will be.

Ollie said:
walker1104 said:
But in August/September time, everything seems to have died down.
How early into August does it die down?
I'm going to Florida for the first time and were going for two weeks covering the end of July and the start of August and I'm dreading how busy the park will be.

It was the last week in August that it died down for us. It will be pretty busy when you go. There will be loads of massive tour groups around too, or at least thats what we found :?
But at least the parks will have long opening hours at that time, so the best advice really is to just make the most of that. Either aim to get to the parks early, or stay later.

We also found the Disney parks to be considerably more busy than the others at that time too.

I know. I'd rather go when it's quiet but we could only afford to go at those dates as we didn't have to pay for accommodation.
Some people say 2 weeks isn't enough. How much of the parks do you reckon we'll do in 2 weeks?
We're doing Disney, Universal, Busch and Seaworld. And two of the days we're doing the Space Centre and some Airboat thing.

^We did IoA, Universal, SeaWord, Busch, Wet 'n' Wild and the Space Centre (about two days at each place) in two weeks and got everything done with plenty of time to re-ride and relax. We went right towards the beginning of July (basically two weeks before the rest of the 'main' schools broke up, so it was MUCH cheaper and the way our summer holidays worked meant we were already off by then) and the crowds were busy, but not that bad. So yeah, if you're efficient at parks, it's easily doable with plenty of time to enjoy yourself too.

^ Yeah I agree with Hixee. I think if you plan your days and stuff you should be able to fit everything in. Although you are doing Disney too, which is another 4 parks... But I'm sure you'll get everything done, just make the most of the long park hours and Disney's fastrack system.

I've only ever been over there for 3 weeks, but theres no way I'd get it done in less than that. My family faff around so much at parks its untrue! It'l take 30 minutes before we've even decided what ride to go on first :p

Best time I have found is either the last 2 weeks in September or last week September 1st week October, if you go in October you get the Halloween events which are the best.

When we went in Sept/Oct the parks were dead, the weather was nice and there were no rides down.

I will never go in December again far to cold or May/June far to hot and to busy.

I have been twice in May But The third time I went In late July to mid August and the parks were not that busy I got on all the Coasters. I think August is the best time to go.

marc said:
I will never go in December again far to cold

Um.. what? Are you sure you were actually in Florida?

My suggestion would actually be to go during November, December, or January. Florida feels great in the winter.. much less humid and much more comfortable temperatures (~70 F) than in the summer. Depending on when you go during those months, most kids will still be in school, so the lines won't be bad. Around Christmas or New Years though they will get very popular as everyone's on their holiday break.

Thanks for the help guys. This has stepped up a notch now as I'm trying to sort out my trips for next year.

I've cut this down to either March/April or September/October. Though after reading Ollie's trip report, August doesn't sound too bad either, especially with the long opening hours.

I went in June/July and the crowds weren't to bad and in Sea World and Busch Gardens the rides were mainly walk on until 12 so it's not to bad.

The only very busy park there was is Universal however If you Stay in the Hard Rock hotel for a night at Universal it gives you Express Plus passes for 2 days and early entry to Harry Potter. With the Prices for express passes it's worth it.