What's new

Best Songs Of The Noughties

Jools

Giga Poster
Based on the Program obviosuly, this is my Top 5:

Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars
Has been in the charts longer than any song in history, and is simply incredible and suits any occasion. What more can I say?

Lady GaGa - Poker Face
Music was getting boring again, people had ran out of ideas, and then Akon discovers this Lady, then we had Just Dance (an instant hit), which was one of thoughs songs that a lot of people started out hating, then ended up loving it, but nothing topped her next song Poker Face, biggest selling song of 2009.

Kings Of Leon - Sex On Fire
This song definatly bought Rock back, as the genre seemed sorry for it's self and slowly dying (chart wise), then suddenly, it got cool again.

Dj Sammy - Heaven
This one you may think is extremely odd, but the 90s bought tons of dance music, alot of which was; Crap. Then suddenly this track popped up, and is still one of my most loved tracks today, working with DJ Sammy on this track was Cascada's Yanou, and his work is evident in their work today, and I am a massive fan of Cascada, as I just love music which is basic but fun, of which they fit the bill.

Black Eyed Peas - Where Is The Love?
Some of the best lyrics ever written prehaps, and the birth of one of the most successful and loved acts today.

THere's my top 5, comment if you like, and make your own.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Whilst I agree with your motives, I genuinely don't think I could list a top five even top ten.

It's not because I can't think of any good songs, quite the opposite, I've loved loads of songs over the decade and I don't think I could pick the best.

I know there are some that will be up there, 'Where is the Love?' is a classic example of an excellent song, however I'm always bound to miss one, so I'm not going to attempt it.

Sorry.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I won't list a top 5, or even 10, but songs which really have stood out for me in the 'noughties':

(Obviously) Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars
Shaggy - It Wasn't Me
Eminem - Stan
Elbow - One Day Like This
Dido - White Flag
Eamon - **** It
Black Eyed Peas - Where Is The Love?
Avril Lavigne - Sk8er Boi
The Script - The Man Who Can't Be Moved
Lily Allen - The Fear
Rhianna - Umbrella
R Kelly - Ignition (remix)
Nickelback - Someday
kaiser Chiefs - Ruby
Feeder - Just a Day

...I could go on and on, that's just a flavour.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
General P-O-L-L-S is the name of this forum, so where's the ****ing poll?

I can't pinpoint any particular song tbh.

kimahri

CF Legend
^ Are you going to make a poll containing every single song that was released between 2000 and 2009?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
kimahri said:
^ Are you going to make a poll containing every single song that was released between 2000 and 2009?

No, I'm not. I'm just wondering why it's in General Polls?

A-Kid

Giga Poster
I think you should move it to Anything Goes. Better suited there.

I couldn't possibly pick 5 songs from the decade. There is too many to choose from.

Dave

CF Legend
I could list songs I've loved from 2000-2009 but I may as well just post a list of most my iTunes library.

kimahri

CF Legend
Ian said:
kimahri said:

No, I'm not. I'm just wondering why it's in General Polls?

Cause we have a Coaster opinions and Polls section and a Just General polls. Posting something like this in anything goes would probably be pushed down to spam but in here it's more suitable since its the same general idea as a poll just with way too many options. Stuff like this can be posted here. I asked before.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
I won't list songs, I'll list Artists / Producers, who I think think pushed the boundaries of music for the good -

Freemasons
Basement Jaxx
Calvin Harris
Red One (ft Lady Gaga)
Timbaland
Justin Timberlake

And as a genre of music -

Thanks **** for the invention of DUBSTEP!!!!!!!

tks

Strata Poster
Timbaland? Seriously? The guy steals samples and produces songs which end up sounding like every other piece of music he's worked on.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I'm not a great judge on what's good music, so here's a list of a few songs I loved from the last decade.

Mykonos - Fleet Foxes - I could have picked a large number of Fleet Foxes songs, their music is great easy listening music, well written and interesting. Mykonos is just one I picked because it's probably one of their more well known (and better) songs.

Viva la Vida - Coldplay - They don't seem to be a popular band to like, but I love Coldplay and this is probably one of my favourite Coldplay songs. It's quite uplifting.

Somewhere Only We Know - Keane - This song sold Keane to me back in 2004, and they were my favourite band for a few years (until I got into Coldplay and Fleet Foxes)

Sing for Absolution - Muse - It's only recently that I got into Muse, but this one I've always liked. Just something about it.

Madame Helga - Stereophonics - Really lively and exciting rock song. Seems to always get me in a good mood.

and some others that I've loved but can't be bothered explaining.

Coldplay - 42, Viva la Vida
Keane - She Has No Time, Bedshaped, Spiralling
Muse - Time is Running Out
Fleet Foxes - Quiet Houses, Heard Them Stirring, Tiger Mountain Peasant Song
Oasis - Stop Crying Your Heart Out
Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
Moby - Spiders, Raining Again

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
tks said:
Timbaland? Seriously? The guy steals samples and produces songs which end up sounding like every other piece of music he's worked on.

About 70% of songs have other peoples samples in them... FACT.

You like Daft Punk and I have you know that about 90% of their work is other peoples samples. - Technologic, One More Time, Harder better Faster Stronger...... I really could go one listing them.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Screaming Coasters said:
About 70% of songs I listen tohave other peoples samples in them... FACT.

There you go, corrected for you Erol :)

Song of the decade for me has to be "No one knows" by Queens of the Stone Age. Just a classic, bouncy, anthem.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s88r_q7oufE[/youtube]

I can't think of another song which has captured me immediately, and gets a good replay.

Though I adore Mosquito Song off the same album, but that's because it appeals to the medieval side of me (it's got a folk kind of thing going on, but it just reminds me of a few medieval songs I've listened to).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiLsvRSU5H8[/youtube]

Dave

CF Legend
I feel I have to agree with that, its hard to find someone who really does not like that song.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Lol Phil - You didn't really fix anything because we're talking in terms of major commercial.

Alot of successful commercial songs have samples in them, and not just in electronic music. I should broaden myself by listening to a station other than Kiss 100 where a lot of these types of music is played, but I like it too much....

And Dave, you've now found somebody who hates those songs :p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Awwww... Mosquito Song is musically inoffensive. I could understand people saying it's bland, or nothingy or dull or boring - but not hating the poor tune. Dave doesn't think everyone likes it anyway - in fact I'd be surprised if many people thought it "good" other than me.

There's not really enough to hate about it. It's just a simple melody and a lone cowboy night kind of singing. Poor Mosquito song; ignore it, pity it, but don't hate it! :cry:

Screaming Coasters said:
Alot of successful commercial songs have samples in them, and not just in electronic music. I should broaden myself by listening to a station other than Kiss 100 where a lot of these types of music is played, but I like it too much....

If you're "an artist", then you should always expand your horizons. You should always be looking to broaden your tastes, whether you expect to enjoy it or not (and you may be surprised). There will always be something that you can learn and bring into your own work.

However, if you're just doing something for fun and personal enjoyment - then nobody should ever force themselves to do anything beyond what they enjoy.

That's true for music, books, games, films, etc, etc, etc.

(just be ready to accept the fact that people may consider your tastes piss poor though :p ).