What's new

Best place for theme park enthusiasts?

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
I'd personally go for Orlando. Walt Disney World, SeaWorld, Universal, IoA, Busch Gardens TB and loads of waterparks about. Other likely options would probably be Sandusky (Cedar Point), California (Six Flags DG and MM, KBF, Universal + more) or in the next few years, Dubai (Dubailand, Busch Gardens, Ferrari World).

Ben

CF Legend
Re: Best place for a theme park enthusiast to live?

I actually think England is proper good.

We have loads considering how small we are. And then the whole of Europe. And then nowhere worth going is more than a 12 hour flight.

It's fab <3

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Wherever their job/friends/family are.

It's a hobby, not a lifestyle.

reddude333

Giga Poster

gavin said:
Wherever their job/friends/family are.

It's a hobby, not a lifestyle.
I'd like it to be a lifestyle...if I can get a job in the industry. Although I guess at that point it's almost more than just a lifestyle. Regardless, I say California (lucky me :-D)

Ben

CF Legend
See, people are saying Cali but once you get over the parks there it's MILES to anywhere else and pretty cut off from the rest of the World.

Hell, England to the East Coast of America isn't much further than from Cali!

STC

Mega Poster
Easily Germany! Halfway between Phantasialand and Europa. :)

Or just living in Rust, right next to Europa.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Well, "place" is such a vague term. So I guess I could say Southern California (although that cuts out a couple good places). I guess it depends on what the scale of "place" is. If we're talking what greater region is a better place...well then things are different and I could say something like East Coast (of US) or Midwest.

Mushroom

Goon of the Year

Ben said:
I actually think England is proper good.

We have loads considering how small we are. And then the whole of Europe. And then nowhere worth going is more than a 12 hour flight.

It's fab <3

I actually totally agree with you there Ben.

We constantly slate the UK parks as we live here. But if someone, say from Spain, looks at the UK, they would think it is pretty damn good. Considering the distances, you can get from the London area to Alton Towers in about 3 hours or so, and they have the 3 London parks in Thorpe Park, Chessington and Legoland. I remember discussing with Neal back in August time about Thorpe, in terms of what they have is a brilliant park. Got several world class coasters, that always have queues, where as the equivalent near capital park for Spain, Parque Warner, don't have big queues for their 2 main B&M coasters (Batman and Superman).

You can argue Alton Towers is in a way same to PortAventura, few hours from the capital (in PA's case several!), but have some of the best coasters in the world and love to hate. Then you get the Pleasure Beach in Blackpool, that is a totally different type of park. Where else are you going to get some of the oldest coaster's in Europe with some modern counterparts. AND you have the British sea side charm.

Some argue that the UK didn't really get started on the Theme Park front until 1980 with Corkscrew at Alton Towers, and then had a big kick up the backside with the introduction in 1994 of Nemesis, The Big One and Shockwave. But look back where it all started really, Margate, Blackpool and Great Yarmouth, the great British sea side!

And there we go =] (possibly my longest post on CF for a LONG time!)

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I agree mostly - the only things the UK lacks are:

Modern wood (except megafobia)

airtime - grand nash is the best exception - but we really could do with some intamin loveliness!

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
England is very good considering the density of our theme parks in relation to the size of the country.

Jake

Strata Poster
For me, probably the UK in general. Our parks aren't bad, and even if you were to live in Orlando or Los Angeles you'd get tired of the parks there pretty quickly.

Like Ben said, the connections from here are really good. Popping to Europe is just as easy and cheap as going to another (further away) UK park for the weekend, and long haul flights from here are a LOT more affordable and available than from most other places. For example, quite a lot of my european friends fly to the UK first and then get an onward flight to Asia or North America or whatever.

I'd rather live in the middle of everything than somewhere rather isolated (like California, even Florida) which has very good parks. You'd get so bored so quickly.