What's new

Best park Halloween event

peep

CF Legend
So we have a topic for scare mazes, what about park-wide events? Do you have favourites, particular highlights etc?

I haven't really experienced many but I'll throw a few highlights from events I've been to...

I think for me Walibi Belgium is very high on my list, it was an excellent event with lots of unique mazes and scare zones. I still can't get over them squeezing a two-floor maze in their dodgems ride area, just how? Oh and it's still the only time I've seen a wrecking ball hurtle towards me. Oh and a zombie-themed bar on the island in the middle of the lake was amazing <3

Walt Disney Studios' Terrorific night event in Paris used to be fantastic, the last one they ever did had a brilliant short film with a great concept. There was plenty of scare zones and live entertainment, generally had a good atmosphere. However there were missed opportunities here and there but it was just great to see Disney have a go at a proper scare based event.

Universal Studios Japan has a smaller scale Horror Nights compared to the American parks but it was pretty fun and I'll never forget the peeps actually having panic attacks when they saw the Ring video appear in the Space Fantasy queue.

I quite like Chessington's Hocus Pocus event, it might not be scary but I think they do quite a good job of theming the park and their mazes are really different and fun.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I've only done the one here at SFGAm, and it hasn't been screaming-at-you good(no pun intended), but this year looks very promising. It's going to have a new light/fire/music show at the front entrance, new mazes, is teaming up with a local scaring guy(idk what else to call him) called "Nox", and they're bringing back an old, good haunt on the train ride. Not to mention that the Teacups are 1000x better in Fright Fest. <3

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HF93Km527I[/youtube]

Lofty

CF Legend
Howl-O-Scream wins this, hands down. Such an incredible event, it has the production value of Halloween Horror Nights (Universal) in terms of scare attractions, not the whole park, but it is so much more intense and based on audience interaction as opposed to getting you through as quick as possible.

Obviously, Halloween Horror Nights is up there too, just a huge mammoth event that's always good fun, shame their attractions are usually flat and somewhat tedious to go through with gargantuan queues.

PortAventura also have a great Halloween event.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
I really loved Fright Fest at Six Flags Great Adventure. Admittedly, the up charge scare attractions were nothing to write home about. But the shows, the parade, the fire lighting, the fountain of blood, the spooky park-wide music and the scare zones were top notch. When dusk fell and the funeral march started playing, it instantly changed the tone of the park. Plus, unleashing all the roaming actors from behind a gate worked a treat! It was the most atmospheric Halloween event I've been to.

I also remember Scare Fest at Alton Towers being amazing in about 2008? Moody lighting, loads of roaming characters, a diverse mix of attractions like Dual:Live and just generally showing a lot more park-wide effort than they have of late. This was back when their Scare Attractions were outside the park, perhaps they didn't rely on them as much as they do now.