What's new

Best non-Nemesis UK Coaster

Excluding Nemesis, what is your favourite UK Coaster?

• The Swarm

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Dragon's Fury

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Megafobia

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Grand National

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Oblivion

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Tornado

• Odyssey

• Millennium

• Thirteen

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Nemesis Inferno

• Ultimate

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Shockwave

• G-Force

• Rita

• Smiler

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Stealth

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Galactica

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Colossus

• Velocity

• Kumali

• Saw

• Wicker Man

Votes: 5 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
ooh - tough decision, lemme list the possibles and see if I can whittle it down...

Dragons fury - good solid family fun
Oblivion - perfect setting and execution
nem inferno - Much underrated, I seem to enjoy it more with each ride
Saw - Never understoody the hate - love the ride

Rita just misses the cut (actually prefer it to stealth...)
shockwave is next, if only for that zero g!

Nope - can't decide between those 4!

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
It's got to be Rita for me. An insanely powerful, punchy launch, followed by a few decent (albeit brief) pops of ejector air. It was getting a bit rattly a few years ago though, and I've not ridden it recently, so there may come a time when the rattle gets a bit too much. In that case, The Ultimate would probably take the next place in line.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Icon is about to take my #1 or #2 slot for the UK, though.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Other than Nemesis, there's really nothing great. I voted Galactica because I loved the novelty of a good flying coaster, but I guess once I ride better ones it will be less special. Dragon's Fury closely follows. I wasn't that impressed with Stealth's launch.

lachlan

Mega Poster
It's got to be Rita for me. An insanely powerful, punchy launch, followed by a few decent (albeit brief) pops of ejector air. It was getting a bit rattly a few years ago though, and I've not ridden it recently, so there may come a time when the rattle gets a bit too much. In that case, The Ultimate would probably take the next place in line.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Icon is about to take my #1 or #2 slot for the UK, though.
If only Rita had lapbars! I remember it feeling quite rattly when I rode in 2014

Hutch

Strata Poster
Stealth for sure. I'm generally a big fan of Intamin accelerators (with the exception of a couple), so you can't go wrong with that. I don't really have problem with the ride or even restraints.

Haven't done Megaphobia, but that looks like one of the better ones.

Will

Strata Poster
Time to put the cat among the pigeons with my Top 10 in the UK then...

-. Nemesis, Alton Towers
2. Swarm, Thorpe Park
3. Dragon's Fury, CWoA
4. Oblivion, Alton Towers
5. Megafobia, Oakwood
6. Ultimate, Lightwater Valley
7. Nemesis Inferno, Thorpe Park
8. Millennium, Fantasy Island
9. Tornado, M&Ds
10. Galactica, Alton Towers

vaugc002

Mega Poster
Time to put the cat among the pigeons with my Top 10 in the UK then...

-. Nemesis, Alton Towers
2. Swarm, Thorpe Park
3. Dragon's Fury, CWoA
4. Oblivion, Alton Towers
5. Megafobia, Oakwood
6. Ultimate, Lightwater Valley
7. Nemesis Inferno, Thorpe Park
8. Millennium, Fantasy Island
9. Tornado, M&Ds
10. Galactica, Alton Towers

I'm surprised to not see Colossus in your top ten, but with your coaster count I'm pretty inclined to trust your opinion.
Glad Oblivion ranks highly for you too!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It was Wild Mouse.

From memory, it's Megafobia, but I haven't ridden it since its opening year, so I should probably discount it.

That leaves The Ultimate and Grand National.

Will

Strata Poster
I'm surprised to not see Colossus in your top ten, but with your coaster count I'm pretty inclined to trust your opinion.
Glad Oblivion ranks highly for you too!
My opinions will be controversial amongst a lot of UK members who've also done all the 'big' creds, but that's just because I'm not much of a fan of Stealth, Rita, Smiler or Grand National. Wild Mouse is only missing because I've left out anything that no longer exists, Magnum Force may have snuck in otherwise :)

vaugc002

Mega Poster
My opinions will be controversial amongst a lot of UK members who've also done all the 'big' creds, but that's just because I'm not much of a fan of Stealth, Rita, Smiler or Grand National. Wild Mouse is only missing because I've left out anything that no longer exists, Magnum Force may have snuck in otherwise :)
We all have different perspectives and different things we look for in a coaster so that's cool. It's kinda sad how we regard wooden coasters so highly, yet we have so few in the UK.

Will

Strata Poster
^
That's perhaps what it is though - there's plenty of crap wooden coasters out there (even moreso in the states, I gather) but because there's a handful that are really high quality in Europe (Wodan, Troy, Colossos, Megafobia, Balder etc.) they stand out :)

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to bump this thread, guys, but I'd be intrigued to know whether anyone's answer has changed following the debut of Icon last year. I know mine certainly has; I'd now vote for Icon! For some context, here is my present UK top 5:
  1. Icon
  2. The Swarm
  3. Nemesis
  4. Wicker Man
  5. Nemesis Inferno

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
Here's mine, gonna include defunct rides:
PS: Haven't ridden Icon yet, probably would be #2
1. Wild Mouse: Probably even more intense than Nemesis, this thing was relentless. So sad its gone.
2. Wickerman: Fun GCI
3: Smiler: Intense and long
4: Nemesis Inferno: Fun invert
5: Stealth: Launch.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
1. Icon
2. Stealth
3. Oblivion
4. Nemesis
5. Saw

The UK is a strange place for coasters. For the small country size the density is decent but so many of the major coasters are bland and average. It's easy to be jealous of people who live near the big parks in Germany and Holland but I think us Brits have it pretty good overall.