Best Morgan hypercoaster?

Which Morgan hyper is the best?

• Wild Thing

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Steel Force

• Mamba

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Steel Eel (not technically a hypercoaster but definitely hyper-style)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steel Dragon 2000

• Phantom's Revenge

• Superman el Último Escape

• Total voters

madhjsp

Giga Poster
I've only ridden Steel Force and found it to be pretty meh. It was way less forceful than I had anticipated, and the airtime was only so-so.

So my vote, based solely on having seen POVs of the rest, goes to Steel Dragon 2000. A couple of massive drops, fast helices on the turnaround, and (what looks to be) decent airtime on the return hills looks like a good coaster to me. Also one that I will probably never get to ride.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
From the ones I've ridden (in ascending order):

Mamba - Feels pretty standard to be honest. A fun ride, but nothing that awesome.
Steel Force - Even though this is a similar style to Mamba (Out & Back), the turnaround is much better. I preferred the dive down into the base of the helix, it really felt a lot more forceful, fast and fun.
Phantom's Revenge - The first drop, straight-away, hill and MASSIVE drop on this ride are awesome and far outdo the others. The dive under Thunderbolt is truly epic. The rest of the ride lacks anything special, but the drop make up for it.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Can't vote, only been on Steel Force.
It's fun.
Not up to the B&M or Intamin hyper standard but a fun ride still.

Brett7710

Mega Poster
I think SD2K looks the best too.

If everything goes smoothly i'll have been on Phantom's Revenge and Steel Force in the next couple of weeks so i'll actually be able to vote for something i've ridden.

Idlewild

Mega Poster
Hixee said:
Phantom's Revenge - The first drop, straight-away, hill and MASSIVE drop on this ride are awesome and far outdo the others. The dive under Thunderbolt is truly epic. The rest of the ride lacks anything special, but the drop make up for it.

That's the original track from the steel phantom.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
My list from best to worst:

Phantom's Revenge - absolutely wild ride. Both drops were great and the ride was very forceful. The airtime got more and more brutal as the ride went on as well.

Superman el Ultimo Escape - Right on Phanny's heels, this ride has incredible pacing. Both helices are forceful and the airtime is decent and sustained. The ride doesn't let up until it comes screaming into the brake shed.

Mamba - I remember this having stronger airtime than Steel Force. It could be because I was with CFers as to why I like it better.

Steel Force - Meh.

Santa Monica West Coaster - It's a little coaster, so one can't expect much from it, but it's fun.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Phantom's Revenge is something of an enigma to me. I haven't ridden it yet, so I've obviously got no room to criticize it. But, while it's consistently pretty highly regarded and I've heard it praised for its airtime, I can't tell at all from the POVs & pictures where that airtime comes from. Are those awkward-looking mini-hills really that good?
I understand the non-validity of this opinion, so someone who's actually ridden it please feel free to set me straight.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
I've also not ridden it but right off the bat....can't trust POVs
They just can be deceiving. I swear, it looks to me like Leviathan just isn't that fast...though it goes 90+ mph lol

I bet those mini hills are brutal actually.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Idlewild said:
Hixee said:

That's the original track from the steel phantom.
I know. ;)

madhjsp said:
Phantom's Revenge is something of an enigma to me. I haven't ridden it yet, so I've obviously got no room to criticize it. But, while it's consistently pretty highly regarded and I've heard it praised for its airtime, I can't tell at all from the POVs & pictures where that airtime comes from. Are those awkward-looking mini-hills really that good?
I understand the non-validity of this opinion, so someone who's actually ridden it please feel free to set me straight.
Well see, I didn't think the airtime was anything special. There's a bit of a pop of it over the first hill into the massive drop, but to be honest I wasn't paying my attention to the airtime at that point, more just the length of the drop. :p There is airtime on the small hills, but it's very short, violent ejector sort of airtime, which I didn't really enjoy that much. It kinda felt like you're just being punched up into the restraints very quickly over and over again. It's similar to the pops of airtime on the GCI woodies, except it just feels a bit less fun on Phantom's Revenge. Don't get me wrong, its a good ride, but it was all about the drops for me, the airtime wasn't the best bit.

valleyfair!

Hyper Poster
SD2000 and Phantom's Revenge look like the best two, but I've ridden Wild Thing, Steel Force, and Mamba. Wild Thing is my favorite of those three simply for it's floater hill after the first drop. It is one of the best floater hills out there!

madhjsp

Giga Poster
^ Better than Ohio State, that's for sure! I went to UVA but I have family that went/goes to Bama so... Rammer Jammer! :lol:

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Steel Dragon 2000 is just big and doesn't really do much. It's just like Wild Thing at Valleyfair, but another 100ft taller.

Phantom's Revenge is by far the best one the've done.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
From the ones I've ridden:

1. Steel Dragon 2000 - The big drops are actually not all that good, but the twisty section is fun and fast, and the bunny hills at the end are excellent, with strong ejector airtime on all of them.

2. Phantom's Revenge - I need to ride this again really. THE drop is excellent, but the rest of the ride did nothing for me at all. Plus, it felt really short given the fact it's a hyper.

3 and 4. Steel Force and Mamba - No discernible difference between them really. I was really looking forward to them, thinking that they'd basically be a scaled-down version of SD2K, but they're just not. The bunny hills did next to nothing in comparison. They were just pretty dull all round.

Jake

Strata Poster
I've only done Steel Force. It was poo.

None of them look very exciting, but Steel Dragon is probably the best (and the only one I'm bothered about riding) just because it's so excessive. I still wouldn't be expecting anything mind blowing though!