What's new

Best moments on awful coasters

Edward M

Strata Poster
Pretty simple idea. What's a great moment on a coaster that is otherwise, a bit crap?

First thing that pops in my mind is the loop on Nighthawk. That ride was constant terror apart from that loop, which I think is an underrated inversion for a flying coaster. There's also the airtime hills on Thunderbolt, which I think are very underrated (though the ride is still crap).

This ride isn't awful, but it's the definition of mediocre: Superman UF. The pretzel loop is the only notable element on the whole ride!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
1. The Villain actually had great airtime on the second hill. You know... before the trick track.
2. Son of Beast had a fantastic first drop, things just really fell apart in the Rose Bowl.
3. I know Grizzly has gotten a lot of knocks at KD, but I was fortunate to have a great night ride on it! Especially during the second turnaround after the tunnel.
4. Timber Wolf too has some nice pops of airtime; equally fortunate to have a good ride experience on it (even despite being an empty train). Really enjoyed the airtime hill coming off of the old helix.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Few that spring to mind:

Air, Alton Towers: That swoopy (sp?) bit at the end. I think that's actually really cool. Close to the ground, smooth, twisty, spot on flyer material right there. Rest of the ride is poop though.

Mammut, Tripsdrill: The lovely floaty drop into the tunnel section is great. Rest of it's dull as dishwater.

Flug der Demonen, Heide Park: I don't love much about this coaster, but the middle inversion/helix turnaround thing (with the wacky backwards inversions) is pretty cool.

Phantom's Revenge, Kennywood: I actually think this coaster is a bit crap (bite me), but that huge drop is something else.

Speed, Oakwood: The big airtime hill is awesome. Rest of it isn't worth it's weight in scrap.

Patriot, Worlds of Fun: One of the best zero-g rolls I ever remember, but the rest of the ride is so forgettable. Actually, everything but the zero-g and it's aesthetics are forgettable.

Hard to actually choose AWFUL ones ('cos if it's got anything remotely good it jumps out of the awful category), but those are generally sub-par coasters with bits I really like.

Joao Franco

Roller Poster
The dive loop on Dragon Khan, best thing on that monster! Maybe my favorite dive loop in any coaster! The rest of it - unfortunately - is only headache :/

Sandman

Giga Poster
I'd second the pretzel on Superman at Great Adventure. One of my favourite inversions on a really sub-par ride. Saw's short indoor section is easily the best bit of the ride (and actually rather decent).

vaugc002

Mega Poster
The dive loop on Dragon Khan, best thing on that monster! Maybe my favorite dive loop in any coaster! The rest of it - unfortunately - is only headache :/
I second this - it's more elongated than a usual dive loop and has a pretty wild feeling IMO.
As for the rest of the ride - it's great front row, but any other row isn't much fun.

Snoo

The Legend
All of Beast outside of the spaghetti bowl. That bowl is like if Jesus cuddled your face WHILE you ate the best pizza in your life while getting a foot massage.

Matt N

CF Legend
An example of this for me is the first drop on Big One at Blackpool Pleasure Beach! This was really forceful and a real sensation to behold, whereas I wasn't really a fan of the rest of the ride!

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
I gotta go with Edward on this one, and while Nighthawk wasn't an "awful" coaster, it sure isn't my favorite either. However, the loop was quite forceful in the weirdest ways! If only it had the helix finale like Firehawk did, as I remember that being forceful too.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Airtime hills on Smiler for sure. Only really decent part about that ride.

The launch on Rita. Always love a good hydraulic launch but the rest is just shaky and a bit gross.

Indoor section on Saw. Okay looking back maybe that portion isn't even that great? I just liked the absurdity of looking up while upside down and seeing some chopped up mannequin scream bloody murder.

Here's an interesting one: The first vertical lift hill on Vekoma GIBs. Goliath is awful now but that vertical hangtime you get at the start of the ride is crazy. Too bad the rest of the ride is ****, you'll never get me on that again.

SingleRiderReak

Roller Poster
Vortex at Carowinds: The vertical loop, the only part of the ride that doesn’t try to give you a concussion.

Coast Rider at KBF: The moment the restraints release so your legs have sweet freedom.

Last edited:

spicy

Giga Poster
Corkscrew AT (RIP) - I used to love the airtime hill after the first drop. It was actually really good with a huge pop of airtime at the back.

Vampire CWOA - Still love the tunnel section.

Saw TP - The indoor drop and the final dive loop. Other than that it's awful

Manhattan Express - The first couple of drops and high turns by the Vegas strip are pretty cool. The rest well.. awful is putting it lightly.

Intamin to Win

Mega Poster
The pretzel loop on Superman, as many have mentioned, fits here.
Gatekeeper’s first drop, as you curl over the top, is also tons of fun, before you float around the rest of the layout reallllyyyy wishing for a thing to happen but never getting it.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Vortex at Carowinds: The vertical loop, the only part of the ride that doesn’t try to give you a concussion.
Good god that's the worst part of the ride! Eurrghhhh it was so bad. Had me greying out for a solid few seconds, didn't get my vision completely back until up the next turn. And all that force on your legs? Disgusting. I was limping down the exit ramp.

Honestly one of the worst moments on any roller coaster.