What's new

Best coasters you don't want to ride that much? (not ridden yet)

streetmagix

Mega Poster
Intamin Accelerator coasters: I just don't really get the appeal. I want more from a coaster than just 'Yeah it goes really fast and really high'. Skipped out on Red Force CHALLENGE THE WIND for some rides on the other red coaster at PA.

Whilst not a ride, I have zero desire to visit Efteling. I'm sure it's beautiful and romantic and magical but it just doesn't appeal to me. And this is someone who has a Europa Park annual pass. I'm sure I'll go one day, maybe with a return visit to Walibi Holland.

Scottingtonville

Upstop Media
Staff member
Social Media Team
Skyrush. I don’t even know why I’ve waited so long, it looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I won’t call this rational or thought-through, more of a feeling, but when I hear people praise ISpeed, I shrug and have little interest.

Maybe the ride doesn’t look particularly unique to me. Maybe subconsciously I hate the name that sounds as if it’s mimicking Apple. Dunno. But of course if I had the chance I wouldn’t hesitate to ride it.

SingleRiderReak

Roller Poster
Because of irritable bowel syndrome, I do not have the stomach to ride another flying coaster again. The last flying coaster I’ve ridden (and the only flying coaster I’ve ridden with IBS) was Firehawk and all throughout my experience, I can barely handle being overly secured laying on my back or staying in a flying position for an extensive amount of time as I might pass out and lose my lunch at any moment. Heck, I remember at one point of the ride where I had a little crumb of puke in my mouth and spat it out while in a flying position.

After that ride, I was completely finished with flying coasters, so thankfully, I might never know the uncomfortable experience of a Zamperla Volare (although, part of me wants to experience one to see what it’s like).

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
After that ride, I was completely finished with flying coasters, so thankfully, I might never know the uncomfortable experience of a Zamperla Volare (although, part of me wants to experience one to see what it’s like).
Oh, I wouldn’t worry. From what you describe I’m sure you’d be fine on a Volare.

:rolleyes::p

Hutch

Strata Poster
I have a few.

First up is Karnan. I mean I've heard nothing but positive things about it, some would say it's among the best in Europe, but I'm not too fussed to try it out anytime soon. I think it mainly comes down to being a Gertslauer, which I'm not a huge fan of in general (although some of their rides I've done are decent enough). That being said, whenever I'm about to ride it, I'm sure I'd be more excited to try it out.

Lech Coaster is another one. It looks like a solid looper but I raise an eyebrow every time I see this on someone's bucket list. I can't imagine it being that good, right? This might also have to do with the manufacture as well. I haven't tried any of the major new-generation Vekoma stuff, so maybe I don't quite "get it" yet.

This next one gets more mixed reviews than the others, but I know some praise it very highly: Intimidator 305. I'm generally not a fan of over the top and sustained positive g-forces, and that first turn just looks awful. The airtime seems hit or miss, and why the hell does this have OTSRs? First drop and twisties look good though.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Lech Coaster is another one. It looks like a solid looper but I raise an eyebrow every time I see this on someone's bucket list. I can't imagine it being that good, right? This might also have to do with the manufacture as well. I haven't tried any of the major new-generation Vekoma stuff, so maybe I don't quite "get it" yet.

[fanboy mode: ON]Oh common! :p

[fanboy mode: OFF] I'm very biased when it comes to Lech, but very frankly it is a superbly designed ride imho. The banking is spot on, there are daring elements such as the drop, roll over the station, and it is very intense. Good ejector air, forceful turns, all coupled with flawless pacing. Ridden in 63 times and it's a personal favourite.

New Vekoma is radically different from their old stuff. Completely different and upgraded manufacturing and design process, with a brilliant lead engineer too! (Actually interviewed the guy a few weeks ago and will post the video soon, if you allow a little self-advertisment)

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Karnan - Yeah I need to get my ass to Hansa, and I know it will be a lovely park, but my hate for Gerst runs hard and true, I need to get over it though.
Cu Chullain - It's possibly one of the easiest big new creds for me to go get, but I haven't bothered yet. Maybe next year.
Leviathan - Considering how much I love Fury, you'd think I'd be all over this, but I'm not. It's more like a bigger Hyper than a Fury ride so I believe anyway.
Intimidator 305 - I love Maverick so I could love this, plus a big drop and a grey out turn, sign me up. Other things have interested me a lot more, keeps being pushed down the priority list.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Trust me you need the vests with those transitions

Fair enough. I’d hope they don’t get in the way of the ride though.

[fanboy mode: ON]Oh common! :p

[fanboy mode: OFF] I'm very biased when it comes to Lech, but very frankly it is a superbly designed ride imho. The banking is spot on, there are daring elements such as the drop, roll over the station, and it is very intense. Good ejector air, forceful turns, all coupled with flawless pacing. Ridden in 63 times and it's a personal favourite.

New Vekoma is radically different from their old stuff. Completely different and upgraded manufacturing and design process, with a brilliant lead engineer too! (Actually interviewed the guy a few weeks ago and will post the video soon, if you allow a little self-advertisment)

I understand New-Gen Vekoma is leagues above Old-Gen. I just never really understood the hype about them. They look good, they just never particularly excited me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
Honestly now that I've ridden I305, I don't really have a strong desire to get a reride. Maybe someday when I am for some reason in the Richmond area I'll try it out again, but If there were one reason I really wanted to go back to KD it would be to ride Twisted Timbers more and (hopefully) get a ride on Volcano.

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to bump the thread, but I'd say I have a few candidates for this. Now, I want to ride every ride some day, but I must admit that I am slightly nervous to try some of these coasters when I eventually get around to trying them for reasons that I will explain:
  • Most B&M flyers - Now don't get me wrong, the B&M flyers I've ridden are really nice rides. But when I rode Manta, I was not a fan of that pretzel loop. It was just that pure positive g-force for that amount of time that just felt really unpleasant to me. So I'm a bit nervous to try some of the other B&M flyers because I've heard that some of the pretzel loops are even more intense than Manta (especially for the more forceful-looking ones like Starry Sky Ripper and Flying Dinosaur).
  • Schwarzkopf multi-loopers - By Schwarzkopf multi-looper, I mean the sort of ride like Mind Bender at SFOG, Mindbender at Galaxyland and Olympia/Munich Looping. I am also a tad nervous to try a Schwarzkopf looper because some of them boast ridiculously high amounts of positive g-force among their statistics (I think one of the ones above pulls 6G!), which I'm not sure if I'd like.
  • Intimidator 305 - For similar reasons to the two coaster types listed above, Intimidator 305 doesn't really appeal to me due to its focus on pure force and the reports of grey-outs and whatnot. Also, I'm not too sure on the thought of it having those OTSR's, as I can see them killing the airtime a bit, if you get what I mean.
  • Lech Coaster - Now, Lech looks like a phenomenal roller coaster from POVs. But I have heard that it is very intense, and I've again heard reports of grey-outs and people finding this coaster a bit too much intensity-wise. Also, this might sound a bit weird, but I'd say that Lech is one of the few coasters I've seen that looks to whip you around and whirl you around so much in such a short space of time that it almost looks a bit nauseating, if you get what I mean? Stuff like Steel Vengeance and Skyrush doesn't look nauseating to me, but Lech does, in a strange sort of way; I don't entirely know why!
Now, I know this might make me sound a bit weak as coaster enthusiasts are allegedly supposed to be impervious to forces and whatnot, but I do actually like some intense coasters! Montu, for example, is ridiculously intense, and that's my #3! For me, I'd personally split positive g-force into two categories; varied g-force and pure g-force. Varied g-force (the kind I like!) is what I'd say you get on many old school B&M loopers and things like The Smiler, whereas pure g-force (the kind I'm not a fan of!) is what I'd say I've only really experienced in Manta's pretzel loop. Besides, I'm sure I'll like all of these more than I predict when I get around to riding them; I wouldn't even say I'm genuinely scared to ride them, just a tad apprehensive!

I know that varied and pure were probably not the best choice of words to differentiate the two types of positive g-force, but the point I was trying to get at is that I'd say the forces on something like Montu definitely felt different to the forces on something like Manta; I don't know whether any of you feel the same.

Matt N

CF Legend
Your loss there, three of my favorite rides.
I'm looking forward to riding these to some extent (I'm looking forward to riding everything to some extent!), but I'm just a little apprehensive due to the apparent focus on pure positive g-forces.

TPC

Roller Poster
Controversial me but I don't really want to ride X2. People say how rough it is and the povs suggest it's very disorientating. Of course I would ride for the credit but I am slightly worried I will be sick after riding.

It's a similar thing for Intimidator 305 as it's such an intense ride based on stats. I much prefer airtime based coasters so this is another coaster I would not be too excited about riding.

cookie

Giga Poster
I would never say no to ride a coaster, at least one I haven't tried before. I mean there's a difference between "I'm super hyped for this, this is going to be rad" and "this doesn't look like it's going to be very good, but if I don't get the cred I'm just going to regret it later, plus there's always the chance it'll be okay". Guess it helps I've never been on a coaster I haven't found at least some enjoyment out of (only time I've been in the same park as an SLC - Heide - it was closed for maintenance).

Now between "would I go to this park if it were close to me or if I get to go there for free?" or "would I spend a lot of money to go out of my way to get there?", that's a different question altogether. Some parks just don't look like they'll be worth the effort (mainly if the ride lineup isn't enough to convince me otherwise or I've heard bad things about the park). Europa and Phantasialand I spent a lot of my own money to get to because I were hyped not just for their respective ride lineups, but because they looked like amazing parks in general, and I'd say both trips were easily worth it in the end. Given their respective status though, you would have a tough time convincing me to spend that kind of money on anything lesser.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Now, I know this might make me sound a bit weak as coaster enthusiasts are allegedly supposed to be impervious to forces
I hope that's not the goal at all or we'd all stop enjoying things.
I would say that you tend to get used to it a bit more and start to appreciate the things that can actually hit you that hard, but can't speak for everyone.