What's new

Best coasters for Giving a sense of 'flying'

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
After recently riding Shambala - I released one of the reasons i loved it, was because it gave me a genuine 'magical' feeling of flying - a combination of floater airtime, being high above the ground and the wind through my hair, helped with the seat configuration which allowed for lots of space - and the perched flourless style seats and lap bars for more or a sense of vulnerability. I even rocked forward in my seat and went full superman arms.

But I released it's not a sensation I've felt on many other coasters - only perhaps other B&M hypers and Wing coasters.

Ironically I've never felt like I was flying on a flyer! or even an invert - I think because the forces are different to what you'd expect a flying sensation to be!

what coasters have you been on if any that have given you that feeling?

emoo

Hyper Poster
Most B&Ms can pull it off if the conditions are right but not always. Closing your eyes or assuming some sort of position will help so good for you on the superman pose. Giga's are more of a wonderful falling floating sensation on the first drop if that's close enough.

Stary Sky Scrapper's first turn around is nice and flyey and the 540 roll will smash it every time (and everywhere, how there is only 2 is baffling). The rest, while brilliant is clearly a roller coaster.

Niles

Giga Poster
i love the feeling of feeling free and unrestrained, B&M flyers are good a giving a flying feeling but i feel to restricted on them. i would say Shambala is my favourite for sustained floater air, Skyrush for sustained ejector air, El Toro and Steel vengeance are great at having sustained and some pops of airtime but with there layouts i feel force not so much freedom.

Skyrush is the best I've done for hands in the air freedom, but Shambala is more re-ride able and relaxing.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Big, floaty, swoopy B&M's innit. Hypers, wingers and divers mainly. Ironically, B&M flying coasters - less so. Too forceful and the seating position feels 'unnatural'.
Shambhala is a good shout. Behemoth too. Gatekeeper, Thunderbird, Griffon, Valravn. That sort of thing.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Big, floaty, swoopy B&M's innit. Hypers, wingers and divers mainly. Ironically, B&M flying coasters - less so. Too forceful and the seating position feels 'unnatural'.
Shambhala is a good shout. Behemoth too. Gatekeeper, Thunderbird, Griffon, Valravn. That sort of thing.
Thunderbird and Valravn in particularly for me. Thunderbird has all that excellent swooping through the trees feeling, and Valravn has the immensity of speed, height, comfort and grace.

Tatsu does a pretty good job - excluding the pretzel loop - as it's nice and high above the terrain and does a few great sweeping corners.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Nothing will top my first spin on a B&M Invert, and the sensation of having your feet dangle through swooping drops and inversions.