What's new

Best coaster replacements ?

Coaster Hipster

Active Member
As sad as seeing a coaster torn down or moved to another place, sometimes its replacement is just so much worth it. Such is the case with Viper SFGAdv being replaced with El Toro, or Iron Wolf having its spot taken by Goliath. Do you have other such examples in mind ? RMC conversions don't count :p
 

Intricks

Well-Known Member
The 1st (and probably only) one that comes to mind is Gatekeeper taking over Disaster Transport. Yeah, we lost Air Conditioning: The Ride in favor of a giant blue Wing Coaster, but Gatekeeper has a more thrilling experience imo.
 
I visited Busch Gardens Williamsburg after the removal of Big Bad Wolf, but Verbolten seems like the best possible thing they could have replaced it with. Top ten steel for me, and it's a great family coaster.
 

Edward M

Well-Known Member
Hmm, Banshee replacing Son of Beast at Kings Island.
Apocalypse replacing Psyclone at SFMM.
Lightning Run replacing Greezed Lightning and Road Runner Express at Kentucky Kingdom.
Xcelerator replacing Windjammer Surf Racers at Knott's.
Oblivion replacing Mini Apple at Alton Towers.
Stealth replacing Flying Fish at Thorpe Park.
[strike]Balder for HangOver at Liseberg (I think)[/strike]
 

Hyde

I Lied About My Age!
Staff member
Moderator
Social Media Team
Intricks said:
The 1st (and probably only) one that comes to mind is Gatekeeper taking over Disaster Transport, which took over Jumbo Jets, which took over the original WildCat. Yeah, we lost Air Conditioning: The Ride in favor of a giant blue Wing Coaster, but Gatekeeper has a more thrilling experience imo.
Added some correction for how many freaking roller coasters have taken that spot. :razz:

Some other not mentioned replacements:

Hydra for Hercules at Dorney Park (and kudos for the clever naming!)
Though not a direct replacement, Lightning Run for Greezed Lightnin and Road Runner Express at Kentucky Kingdom
 

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Staff member
Moderator
Social Media Team
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Iron Wolf replacing Z-Force. Yes, Goliath is a MUCH superior coaster to the both of them, but Z-Force's removal led to the start of B&M. IW was the first coaster by B&M, and when it opened, it was a damn good first coaster. Sure, it wasn't the tallest or fastest, but it led to other parks getting B&Ms, Great America calling B&M back to design the first Invert(speaking of which, Batman replacing Tidal Wave was also a good choice), Busch Gardens wanting them to design a sitdown which would be the father of the floorless, dive, hyper, and giga. Iron Wolf was a bad coaster, but it sure as hell was an important one.

I also think that Banshee replacing Son of Beast was a really good choice.
 

andrus

Active Member
Edward M said:
Hmm, Banshee for Son of Beast.
Apocalypse for Psyclone at SFMM.
Lightning Run for Greezed Lightning and Road Runner Express if that counts.
Windjammer Surf Racers for Xcelerator at Knott's.
Mini Apple for Obilivion at Alton Towers.
Flying Fish for Stealth at Thorpe Park.
Balder for HangOver at Liseberg (I think).
Ehh what?! This post needs some explanation :p

1) Apocalypse better than Psyclone? I've admittedly never ridden Psyclone, but Apocalypse was one hell of a rough ride >< Can't imagine Psyclone was even worse??

2) Flying Fish replacing Stealth? Last time I looked Stealth was still operational :wink: (and Flying Fish too)

3) Balder did not replace Hang Over. They are/were situated at different places in the park.
 

Edward M

Well-Known Member
andrus said:
Edward M said:
Hmm, Banshee for Son of Beast.
Apocalypse for Psyclone at SFMM.
Lightning Run for Greezed Lightning and Road Runner Express if that counts.
Windjammer Surf Racers for Xcelerator at Knott's.
Mini Apple for Obilivion at Alton Towers.
Flying Fish for Stealth at Thorpe Park.
Balder for HangOver at Liseberg (I think).
Ehh what?! This post needs some explanation :p

1) Apocalypse better than Psyclone? I've admittedly never ridden Psyclone, but Apocalypse was one hell of a rough ride >< Can't imagine Psyclone was even worse??

2) Flying Fish replacing Stealth? Last time I looked Stealth was still operational :wink: (and Flying Fish too)

3) Balder did not replace Hang Over. They are/were situated at different places in the park.
Psyclone was said to be one of the worst wooden coasters in the world. It was second worst (174 of 175) in the 2006 Mitch Hawker poll. Apocalypse has alright reviews usually, and it is good enough to be a significant improvement on Psyclone. Apocalypse got 40th in 2013 for Mitch Hawker comparatively.

As for Flying Fish, there used to be a Flying Fish where Stealth is. Here is the rcdb page for the old one https://rcdb.com/6546.htm . If you look at the 2003 park map, it is where Stealth is now.


As for Balder/HangOver, it was a mistake. I also have to say reading my old post over, the way I wrote out everything was really weird. I think I'm gonna go back and edit that tbh.
 

Ben

Social Media Team
Social Media Team
^Oblivion also didn't replace the Big Apple, that was up in the back of the park next to where the Waveswinger is now.

There isn't an 'old' Flying Fish either, it's the same ones it just went in to storage for a while, so it was never a replacement.
 

Hyde

I Lied About My Age!
Staff member
Moderator
Social Media Team
andrus said:
1) Apocalypse better than Psyclone? I've admittedly never ridden Psyclone, but Apocalypse was one hell of a rough ride >< Can't imagine Psyclone was even worse??
The couple of times I have ridden Apocalypse, it was always a quite good GCI - Top 3 in fact. Could have been some lucky rides, but I never experienced any more roughness than on other GCIs.
 

Olaf

Member
Taron replacing Bergbahnen... Why did no one think of that

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk
 

ignace

Member
Olaf said:
Taron replacing Bergbahnen... Why did no one think of that

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk
Because it didn't replace it: River Quest stands where the Gebirgsbahn was.
 

Ireeb

Member
Olaf said:
Taron replacing Bergbahnen... Why did no one think of that

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk
Also, the Gebirgsbahn and Grand Canyon Bahn weren't really intentionally replaced, they burned down. PL just filled up the spot after that.
 

andrus

Active Member
Edward M said:
andrus said:
Edward M said:
Hmm, Banshee for Son of Beast.
Apocalypse for Psyclone at SFMM.
Lightning Run for Greezed Lightning and Road Runner Express if that counts.
Windjammer Surf Racers for Xcelerator at Knott's.
Mini Apple for Obilivion at Alton Towers.
Flying Fish for Stealth at Thorpe Park.
Balder for HangOver at Liseberg (I think).
Ehh what?! This post needs some explanation :p

1) Apocalypse better than Psyclone? I've admittedly never ridden Psyclone, but Apocalypse was one hell of a rough ride >< Can't imagine Psyclone was even worse??

2) Flying Fish replacing Stealth? Last time I looked Stealth was still operational :wink: (and Flying Fish too)

3) Balder did not replace Hang Over. They are/were situated at different places in the park.
Psyclone was said to be one of the worst wooden coasters in the world. It was second worst (174 of 175) in the 2006 Mitch Hawker poll. Apocalypse has alright reviews usually, and it is good enough to be a significant improvement on Psyclone. Apocalypse got 40th in 2013 for Mitch Hawker comparatively.

As for Flying Fish, there used to be a Flying Fish where Stealth is. Here is the rcdb page for the old one https://rcdb.com/6546.htm . If you look at the 2003 park map, it is where Stealth is now.

As for Balder/HangOver, it was a mistake. I also have to say reading my old post over, the way I wrote out everything was really weird. I think I'm gonna go back and edit that tbh.
No worries! :) Regarding Apocalypse though, since a couple of you commented on it:

I thought Apocalypse was one hell of a rough ride in 2015 when I rode it. Also the ride operater gave a rather embarrased comment trying to be ironic when our train returned to the station saying: "Wasn't that a smooth ride, ehh?", meanwhile all you could hear from my fellow riders where moans and groans...

I'm sure Psyclone was even worse :lol: But still; Apocalypse has aged awefully, and is the third worst GCI I have ever ridden, only slightly ahead of Wildcat and Roar.
 
Top