What's new

Best coaster layout?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Thread inspired by @roomraider:
What IS the best layout in the entire world out of interest? :p

We all know Taiga at Linnanmäki isn't it, as evident from the discussion in its construction thread (from which the above quote was lifted), but which one is it then? Which coaster has the best layout in the world?

Note that a good coaster does not necessarily have a good layout, and a good layout does not necessarily mean the coaster is good. The train can slog or rattle through a fantastic layout making a dull or painful experience, but that is a problem of execution, not concept. Disregard how well the coaster actually rides, and consider just the elements it has and the order they are presented in. Which coaster would then have the best layout, according to your preference? Please discuss.

Peet

Giga Poster
The Smiler would be a strong contender for me - the way it has 2 halves which follow similar but different patterns so that it duels with itself (if they get the timing right!), is pretty special. I know Twisted Colossus does something similar but the 2 halves are almost the same on TC whereas the Smiler has different elements on each. Plus the sheer amount of track that is squeezed into such a small area is incredible. Oh, and the fact that part of the ride track looks like the ride logo!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I mean, there are some real top rank ones out there. Voyage springs to mind, massive hills, low speed turns, through the forest, etc. It would be a great coaster if it was built on a parking lot, and it's even better once it's tucked away in to the woods.

Others may come to me...

Snoo

The Legend
Steel Vengeance. It gives you everything you could possibly want, with no lulls, and the speed to be hitting you beginning to end. The inversions aren't hitting again and again, ejector airtime is spread all throughout the ride, speed is sexy as all hell. I mean, just watch a POV. :D

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The standard caterpillar / wacky-worm / big apple layout - come on it's a "classic", gotta be the most popular (and therefore the best) layout out there, there's millions of those damn things.
;)
tsemu4zuvv3tcfvhespn.jpg

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Having a novel layout is absolutely correlated with how highly I regard a roller coaster.

To ride the hot hand, Steel Vengeance is probably one of the most complex layouts I have ever ridden. Many elements have multiple design angles and purposes, rather than a straight forward, linear design of hill, hill, turn, inversion, hill, etc. Instead, you have hill with turn, airtime hill with floater, strong double up, inversion with floater, turn with airtime, turn with positive g's, stengel dive with stall, etc. There's just a lot of directions and forces at play all at once.

Some other honorable layout mentions would be Thunder Dolphin and Son of Beast. Both epic in terms of design - less so in actually execution.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
Tough question, but overall, I'd have to say Steel Vengeance for best coaster with the best layout. It has the perfect balance between inversions, over banks, and airtime hills, even sometimes combining airtime with the twists and turns. It's amazing!
As for best invert layout, I'd say Banshee, it's just poorly executed with the vest restraints and heavy trains.
Best wooden layout for me is Mystic Timbers, but I haven't really ridden any other GCIs.
Best layout for a coaster I've never ridden would have to be Montu or Afterburn. I really love a good snappy B&M invert like Raptor, so I have high hopes for when I get the chance to ride these two!

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I don't mind the layout for the ol' suspended looping coaster, it's just a shame Vekoma didn't execute it well.
This. I've always thought the SLC had an interesting layout and looked like it could be a fun ride. It was just executed poorly. Although ones running the new vest trains might actually be pretty ok.

....Some other honorable layout mentions would be ....... Son of Beast. Both epic in terms of design - less so in actually execution.
I have to disagree here. Even if Son of Beast had been smooth as glass.... The layout, while massive, was incredibly uninspired! Removing the scale of size..... It was basically a drop, a helix, a loop, another helix, and and a turn. I think that's why I roll my eyes when people say things like I wish RMC had come around sooner. Because to me, I don't think that would have made much difference.... They wouldn't have had much to work with..... And would have been better off with a new build.

And if we're talking about rides where they have an aesthetically pleasing look but not necessarily good execution. I would go with the Premier LIM bowl coasters (Joker/Poltergeist) just a massive concentration of track in a somewhat tight space. (Similar to The Smiler comment I guess)

lachlan

Mega Poster
Not the best rides, but I find the layout of the large Schwarzkopf loopers (Olympia Looping, Texas Tornado (RIP), Mindbender etc) very pleasing. Probably the best use of a tight space.

I have to disagree here. Even if Son of Beast had been smooth as glass.... The layout, while massive, was incredibly uninspired! Removing the scale of size..... It was basically a drop, a helix, a loop, another helix, and and a turn. I think that's why I roll my eyes when people say things like I wish RMC had come around sooner. Because to me, I don't think that would have made much difference.... They wouldn't have had much to work with..... And would have been better off with a new build.

Compare Son of Beast to Steel Vengeance. Same height, yet Steel Veangeance manages to do so much more despite a shorter track length.

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
Gotta go with Helix for the sheer variety of elements. It basically has anything that you could possibly want on a coaster in terms of layout... a few great airtime hills, some twists, a multitude of different inversions, launches, and terrain use throughout it all.

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
The Smiler would be a strong contender for me - the way it has 2 halves which follow similar but different patterns so that it duels with itself (if they get the timing right!), is pretty special. I know Twisted Colossus does something similar but the 2 halves are almost the same on TC whereas the Smiler has different elements on each. Plus the sheer amount of track that is squeezed into such a small area is incredible. Oh, and the fact that part of the ride track looks like the ride logo!
Ew gross. Smiler is so repetitive. Not a fan of the layout at all.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
compare Son of Beast to Steel Vengeance. Same height, yet Steel Veangeance manages to do so much more despite a shorter track length.
Right.... But Mean Streak had a much more substantial layout to work with. Unlike Son of Beast.
So I'll still stand by my original statement saying they would have been better off with a new build, rather than a conversion.

lachlan

Mega Poster
Right.... But Mean Streak had a much more substantial layout to work with. Unlike Son of Beast.
So I'll still stand by my original statement saying they would have been better off with a new build, rather than a conversion.
I think I was unclear... I agree Son of Beast had an awful layout, certainly not worth keeping at all.

With almost the same height RMC have packed a fantastic layout in to Steel Vengeance.

vaugc002

Mega Poster
I think some of us are getting confused between the most cleverly-designed coaster layout, and the best coaster layout.
Best would insinuate excellence and desirability. I see that as having the most elements that I personally enjoy.
Voyage looks to be this for me, but in terms of rides that I've actually experienced, Helix does a great job.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I'm going to make a case for Maverick here. It was one of the first coasters not to lock itself into a single gimmick, like "launch coaster" or "looping coaster" or "terrain coaster" or something like that, where one thing it did over and over again defined the type of ride it was. As seen in the coaster selection of the RCT games, this notion was very prevalent for coasters up until quite recently. A looping coaster had as many loops as possible, a terrain coaster never left the ground, a drop coaster had its big drop and then hurried back to the station, etc. Maverick has a launched lift hill, but that's not the primary focus of the ride. Maverick has a beyond-vertical drop, but that's not the primary focus of the ride. Maverick has inversions, but that's not the primary focus of the ride. Maverick hugs the terrain, but that's not the primary focus of the ride. Maverick has a second launch, but that's not the primary focus of the ride. Maverick has airtime hills, but that's not the primary focus of the ride. It just does all of this without devoting itself entirely to any of it, delivering a kickass ride experience (or so I've heard) without focusing on impressive stats or repeating elements over and over. It's not among the five fastest or the ten tallest coasters in the park, but it's certainly among the most beloved.

Lofty

CF Legend
Yeah Maverick's layout is excellent. When you're riding, each element feels like what you'd like it to do and not a forced element after element after element. I have to admit though, it didn't ride like I expected - I expected it to be really powerful and intense and it just isn't? It's incredible fun and the launch has a kick, but it's just a great all-round coaster.