What's new

Berjaya Times Square and KL Culture Photo and Video TR

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Over the Christmas holidays, I was fortunate enough to trael to Malaysia, with a quick stop-off at Kuala Lumpur for a little culture...and a Christmas cred!

Just to summarise KL, as a city, it has slightly more dilapidated areas, but is overall a very pleasant place. The layout itself is a unique assimilation of modern architecture and nature, like the beautiful central park, but the Skyline is utterly dominated by the twin towers. One of the great perks of the place is the cheapness of all the products, from a great exchange rate, along with the wide variety of convincing counterfeits - 'ice watches' were on sale for as little as £2!

Anyway, onto the photos:

HRWtJmk.jpg

The blend is evident here...

IscWo6r.jpg

And even better at night!

MPsWVBf.jpg

THyHaFm.jpg

Up to the twin towers...there's central park.

gAmphdB.jpg

From the skybridge...

8lNsOtM.jpg

Don't look down...

kKinlgR.jpg

fxLYDyp.jpg

Inside the skybridge itself

y7MRlso.jpg

85C9Q1N.jpg

Funuz1D.jpg

However...hang on - contrary to what was said in the Q&A thread, the tour now includes viewing from a higher level, namely level 86.

cgqxs06.jpg

Vs the KL tower....I believe, since the KL tower's spire is taller and the twin towers are taller overall, this is the highest viewing point in KL.

bzSFT0j.jpg

pJaHWlU.jpg

Truly, a window on the world!

vbn4qgS.jpg

And our next destination!

So overall, the tour was quite minimalistic in fact, just like the modern,but plain interior. The views were magnificent, but at the end of the day, I would've really preferred a little more information about the towers themselves, even in a short video on the tour. With military personnel surrounding you though, I suppose that was never likely..

And now the reason I was really there...Berjaya Times Square theme park!

Firstly, here's a little video I compiled, to give an overall impression of the park and attractions.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liB0s3XvoOM[/youtube]

So onto the review of the park...
To summarise in a phrase, I would say 'bizarre', but 'awesome' somewhat. The place is completely odd, yet strangely brilliant.

mz4XnV0.jpg

Perks
-Moderately cheap entry (RM 48 - £10ish per person for unlimited rides all day)
-Long operating hours - til 10 I believe
-Supersonic Odyssey :--D
-Strong selection of flat rides
-Very convenient to travel to (has its own monorail stop)
-Shopping for non-enthusiasts
-Indoors -not affected by the elements
-Short lines (DNA Mixer and

Problems
-Quite strange layout on levels - it's initially difficult to find the entrance and a way to access it, if you're on the wrong floor! Also, many of the best viewing points were shut off.
-Most rides were knock-offs
-Supersonic Odyssey is solid, but the ride line-up is insufficient to warrant more than a few hours at the park.
-Quite poor operations! Not that it mattered particularly, but it was irritating if you wanted to quickly zoom around the park. Eg, I believe the coaster only has one train!
-Was spited by the odd outward facing condor-like ride named 'spinning orbit' due to annual maintenance.

So, walked into the park in a strange way) and my first sight was the closed condor. Brilliant. Allegedly it's not brilliant, but is extremely unique, so would have been ideally good to film. This is what greeted me...

condor.jpg

After finally locating the entrance, we hit Coort's Express first due to popular demand. Operations were dismally poor, with a 5 minute gap between circuits, but the ride itself was actually quite good, with a phenomenal amount of centrifuge (so much so it was uncomfortable), but I guess that's what one would expect from a waltzer(?)

OK, let's cut to the chase and Supersonic Odyssey. Malaysia's tallest, fastest and most inverting coaster (although that's not hard).

d97jAvz.jpg

First impressions were that it was one of the most visually impressive coasters I've ever had the pleasure to ride. Even when it wasn't making a circuit, the mass of convoluted track and inversions across many levels, seeming quite out of place in a shopping centre (that's mall for all you Americans out there :wink: ), was awe-inspiring and it gave a good deal of good old roar when operating.

Zqae3MS.jpg

How many spectators can you spot in this photo? Every time it circuited, this mass of people would rush to spectate!

8Rmex2L.jpg

It also wins the award for most pre-drop messing about on a coaster. Here's the pre-Hydra inline, which was a great deal of fun. Suck it Hydra! (Watch the TPR POV)

vu50Pfe.jpg

More messing about. These sections were surprisingly fast and enjoyable, but limited the real thrills.

AC4iFfJ.jpg

Motion blur. If the faster-paced section was a little longer, I would rate it much higher!

h6VUCU0.jpg

Ascending the tyre-driven lift. Like the rest of the park, the cred is bizarre, but awesome!

eyaIlKr.jpg

Then comes the 'big one' pre-drop section - more messing about!

xzoALPP.jpg

There we are. Finally the loop. A brilliant drop with a little airtime followed by a forceful vertical loop.

lkQnbeo.jpg

Want more? Of course you do!

eDvGS7J.jpg

Near-miss point...

CocR4s6.jpg

Into the corkscrew, followed by a turn around, then...

DsFhcLt.jpg

...a pop of airtime, then into the brakes.

Overall, I'd rate it 8/10. It's really a great, fun little quite forceful coaster with some great elements to it and only a little rattle which is relatively unnoticeable. However, whilst everything is there, after having messed about, the good part is actually rather short and the to score higher, it would just need a little more airtime, greater positives, a longer layout, a taller drop and maybe even a nice new Intamin train with Lapbars. For what it is though, an indoor coaster, it's very good given its constraints.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JcWs3tYA24[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bc08c3nCSY[/youtube]

Here's my offride and TPR POV of it! Sorry, next trip report I'll bring a spy camera and film my own POV...

However, of course, there's more than just the coaster at Berjaya...

First off, DNA Mixer, which was actually my first Topspin! I think I drew the short straw here though.

C3fl1Yo.jpg

Take a little look at the video below and you'll notice it runs an insane and prolonged cycle, along with a crazy rpm value. It was incredibly astringent, but I was laughing as the blood rushed to my head and the knock-off restraints dug relentlessly into my body. It's so horrible, you just laugh it of, thus making it actually quite fun. 7/10 Just don't do it again...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-RxiHGrv_k[/youtube]

Compare that to a standard Top Spin's ride cycle:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg04u3t70do[/youtube]

And lastly, Space Attack, another knock-off attraction, but easily the best flat ride there. It's by no means massive, but it's pretty forceful and unlike the topspin, the rotation speed is so high and distanced form the pivot, there are few painful moments. Something like Pandemonium is just slightly better, but for a counterfeit, this thing is good...so a well-deserved 9/10. I even rode it twice in a row...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm4k_rEQYts[/youtube]

zj6c5pY.jpg

FZm6Yqb.jpg

uzm00Lh.jpg

Jjiw9ME.jpg

So that concludes my trip report of a really worthwhile vacation. If you ever get the opportunity to visit KL for a little while, I would thoroughly recommend it. What did you think?

You want a few more twin tower shots don't you? Sure you do.

CEDhQCU.jpg

6osEI65.jpg

CMJzEyy.jpg

XSGJNz5.jpg

China town at night. Don't worry, I only saw one rat :--D

tUiz178.jpg

bQeDchA.jpg

KL central from the Orchid Garden

J2GMCKc.jpg

A sight you most certainly cannot see walking around London! Awww.

oIWFj4u.jpg

Goodbye KL!

Thanks for reading :--D
Next time...Gardaland and Mirabilandia!

peep

CF Legend
Nice report, the towers are a stunning piece of architecture. Your photos seem to really do them justice too. I think your photos of the coaster are the most I've seen of the whole layout too? Glad to hear you really enjoyed it.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Thanks for the feedback! :--D If you were wondering why the park pictures are a little blurred and cropped, it's because I didn't actually take a single picture at the park; they're just screenshots of the videos I shot..

As for Italy, I'll be going this August equipped with a camcorder and a cheeky keychain spy camera for POVs. I've done Gardaland already (more times than any UK Park), but I really wanted to try out Mirabilandia this year too! It's a shame I'll miss two new coasters in 2015 (I did anticipate a new GL coaster in 2014 by their 3 year pattern though), but shouldn't be too much of a loss and I can post construction updates!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Not sure where you're getting the knock off info from. I don't know about the top spin, but most stuff there, including the inverting thing, is from Intamin.

TilenB

Strata Poster
CoasterCrazy said:
As for Italy, I'll be going this August equipped with a camcorder and a cheeky keychain spy camera for POVs. I've done Gardaland already (more times than any UK Park), but I really wanted to try out Mirabilandia this year too! It's a shame I'll miss two new coasters in 2015 (I did anticipate a new GL coaster in 2014 by their 3 year pattern though), but shouldn't be too much of a loss and I can post construction updates!

I just hope that you aren't going there 1st half of the month. Italian parks tend to be pretty much jam packed during Ferragosto...

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Oohh... interesting!

I'll be going to Kuala Lumpur myself in about two months. As I always thought you could only get to the Skybridge when visiting Petronas Towers, I was considering to skip it in favour of the KL tower, but since you apparently got all the way to 86th, I'll see if I can persuade my friend travelling with me to go there. Did you have to book in advance? And do you remember the price, waiting times, or other useful info?

Either way, great Trip Report. I look forward to going there.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
gavin said:
Not sure where you're getting the knock off info from. I don't know about the top spin, but most stuff there, including the inverting thing, is from Intamin.

Yeah, sorry. I just assumed, since I couldn't find any manufacturer information, that it was a knock-off. I'd be very worried if the Topspin wasn't a counterfeit though... :twisted:

TilySlo said:
I just hope that you aren't going there 1st half of the month. Italian parks tend to be pretty much jam packed during Ferragosto...

I am...but don't worry, I've been at that time before and Raptor was still a walk-on :p
Thanks for your concern though!

Pokemaniac said:
Oohh... interesting!

I'll be going to Kuala Lumpur myself in about two months. As I always thought you could only get to the Skybridge when visiting Petronas Towers, I was considering to skip it in favour of the KL tower, but since you apparently got all the way to 86th, I'll see if I can persuade my friend travelling with me to go there. Did you have to book in advance? And do you remember the price, waiting times, or other useful info?

Either way, great Trip Report. I look forward to going there.

Thanks! Just a bit of advice:
-Definitely pre-book - there are tickets on sale, but these are limited with a massive queue...
-It costs an agreeable £15 for a 45 minute tour.

As I said in the TR, I believe 86 is slightly higher than the KL Tower anyway and to persuade your friend...just remind him as soon as you state you visited KL, most people will automatically ask if you went up the twin towers! Also, they are undoubtedly more impressive in both viewpoint and in that you can view the second tower, plus you'll find out some good facts! Enjoy your trip and pre-book ASAP!