What's new

Automatic or Manual Transmission on Cars?

Do you know how to drive a stick? If so, do you prefer it?

• I don't drive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know how to drive stick

• I know how to drive stick but prefer an auto

• I know how to drive stick and prefer it!

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

I have driven an automatic car one time, and I didn't like it. I got strange twitches in my left leg in the beginning... :D

No it's manual all the way, more fun, faster, economical, etc.

But then the question comes, where will all these "flappy paddle" gearboxes fit in this discussion?

Inverse

Hyper Poster
^ but weird!

I prefer manuals.

I once drove a friends semi-automatic stick shift car around a car park... that was odd, you had to change gears in the usual way, but with no clutch!

thx

Mega Poster
I don't really know what to choose. In driving school I drove manual cars of course, which were really nice, but after that I've only driven my parents automatic car for about a year. Even though it didn't feel as "real" as manual, I still like not to have to worry about gears etc. However if I drove a manual car more I'd of course getting back to getting used to it etc. so yeah dunno really.

Harvey

Hyper Poster
Manual is fun and entertaining, but those are not the primary reasons for owning a car. You drive a car to get you from point A to point B quickly.

That's the reason as to why America has never produced a great car, just appliances on wheels, :(

wolverinechris

Mega Poster
Alright! I'm pretty happy with the responses so far.

For the record, I'm in America and currently the driver of an American car with a manual...so it is possible (though it did cost extra).

furie said:
I've only ever driven high powered Automatic cars - so I can't comment too much as they were good fun :)
Do tell...

furie said:
...if you know what you'redoing in an automatic, you can still get it to shift up or down to a degree under your own control.
True, but I don't think it's nearly as much fun...especially since you can't rev between shifts ;).

Also, thanks for that, Ian...

Hyde: Manuals don't get in my way of getting from point A to B...and plus, why shouldn't *every* point A to B also be entertaining?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I prefer manual, but driving in stop & go New York City traffic ruins any pleasure derived therein. So that being said, I own a semi-automatic.

Martyn

Giga Poster
I just had to do a hill start in third gear in the snow. First and second weren't getting me up it. As far as I'm aware, that would be a lot harder in an automatic!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
wolverinechris said:
furie said:
I've only ever driven high powered Automatic cars - so I can't comment too much as they were good fun :)
Do tell...

3L V6 Toyota Camry and a Merc CLK Kompressor

Okay, in US terms they're not THAT high powered, but compared to the cars I normally drive (2 Litre Diesels, 1.6 or 1.8 mid range cars (or even smaller engined small cars).

Sorry, should have qualified my statement "high powered" with "(for the UK)" :lol:

That Camry was a beast though :lol:

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
^ You need to come drive my Dads 4.2ltr Jaguar XJR. 0-60 in just under 5 seconds. :)
We're getting a bigger pully for it too, so that'll give it an even bigger kick.

aly

Mega Poster
I've got a Mercedes-Benz CLK 200 Kompressor AMG and when I first went to buy it' they we're trying to flog me an Automatic so they gave me one to test drive for 5 days - and there was a few times I nearly killed myself!

Therefore I ordered the car with my own spec - A MANUAL GEAR BOX!

Manual Gear Box FTW! :--D

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
I've Driven Mercs, they're pigs in manual. Same with Manual Jaguars and BMW's...

Automatic Jags, Mercs and BMW's ftw :D

But then, Manual Ferrari FTW!!!!!!!!

Philthy

Roller Poster
Well ive had 28 cars so far autos & manuals & im an automatic fan. My FTO I have at the moment has a semi auto steptronic box & its great & fast. Maybe I am lazy :p

Karen

Hyper Poster
Well I passed my driving test in July, first time,only 2 points, in an AUTO. I had only been having lessons since the March. As I have been a passenger and pedestrian and seen so many accidents/stupid drivers/have 2 kids I wanted 1 less thing to think about i.e clutch and gears.