What's new

Automatic or Manual Transmission on Cars?

Do you know how to drive a stick? If so, do you prefer it?

• I don't drive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know how to drive stick

• I know how to drive stick but prefer an auto

• I know how to drive stick and prefer it!

• Total voters

wolverinechris

Mega Poster
I suppose this is more of a debate in the US, where automatic transmissions are more common, but if you've driven both, which do you prefer?

RCF

Strata Poster
Well when I start to drive later this year, I will be driving my dad's 2007 Toyota Tacoma 6-speed stick-shift. I have driven (yes illegally oh I'm bad :wink: ) a manual and an automatic but I like stick-shifts more.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've driven both, and I have to admit, automatics suck.

Yeah, they're good if you're lazy, but they're no way near as fun to drive.

Manuals ftw!

Martyn

Giga Poster
I've never "driven a stick". I couldn't find the steering wheel.

That was about as funny as Ollie's teeth topic title.

I've only ever driven a manual, because I'm normal.

marc

CF Legend
Manual, I really do hate automatics.

I have only driven Autos in the USA, but I kept over shooting lights I am to used to slowing down using gears.

I also prefer European cars, changing gear with my right arm feels so much better no idea why.

Patrick

Hyper Poster
Manual, automatics are for lazy people who can't drive for ****.

And before you ask, I've been able to drive since the age of 12.

Peter

Hyper Poster
Manual all the way. I don't know the official stats, but the vast majority of people learn to drive manual in the UK. I've driven both and automatics just plain suck. :p

It gives you much more control over the car when accelerating, braking and so on. Having an automatic takes half the fun out of driving.

Sam

Giga Poster
A-Kid said:
I've only ever used a manual car. Must be odd driving without gears.

Sigh.

Manual ftw by the way. More control, they're generally quicker and they're more fun.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Tbh, with the way some of the traffic can be in America it doesn't suprise automatics are favoured...

Manual is good cos once you learn that you don't need to take anything else...

However, I need to practise my gear changes to be more smooth, it's like a bloody Vekoma in my driving lessons atm :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I've only ever driven high powered Automatic cars - so I can't comment too much as they were good fun :)

Generally though, yes, I do prefer the feeling of control you get in a manual - but if you know what you'redoing in an automatic, you can still get it to shift up or down to a degree under your own control.

However, when I get stuck in traffic, I do wish I had an automatic. Once cramp sets in to your left ankle and you end up bunny hopping - there's enough argument for an automatic.

Martyn

Giga Poster
furie said:
However, when I get stuck in traffic, I do wish I had an automatic. Once cramp sets in to your left ankle and you end up bunny hopping - there's enough argument for an automatic.

Haha yes very true...

Oh, we've stopped.

Ow, my clutch foot hurts.

Hey, I know, I'll put in in neutral and put the handbrake on and relax a bi... oh wait we're moving again.

...And repeat.

Harvey

Hyper Poster
I drive a manual six speed, but the only automatic I've driven had a two litre turbo (petrol) engine under the bonnet and the kick down when you booted it felt great - really picked it's feet up, wouldn't want to live with one every day though.

Ollie

CF Legend
Manual. Automatics are easier and better to just hop in and drive but Manuals are much more fun to drive.
I've driven both and loved driving a manual. When driving an Auto I get bored as it's just pedal and steer lol.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I find nothing more sensual than gently caressing the top of my gear stick shaft before expertly sliding it between the different ratios until I've reached a speed good enough for all parties involved.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I never thought I'd get a semi over a gear change.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
As if you have an option in America. :razz:

Automatic.

Manual is fun and entertaining, but those are not the primary reasons for owning a car. You drive a car to get you from point A to point B quickly.

Automatics are sensible with no none sense, allowing anyone with a foot and two hands to drive.