What's new

Aussie Tower of Terror to go Backwards...

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
http://www.ausleisure.com.au/default.as ... splay=True

DREAMWORLD TO RELAUNCH TOWER OF TERROR RIDE
06-08-2010

THEME PARKS - ATTRACTIONS - OPENING - MARKETING
After almost 14 years of thrills and more than eight million panicked passengers, Dreamworld’s Tower of Terror ‘scream attraction’ is set for a relaunch.
Tower of Terror will close on 18th August and will reopen four weeks later, in time for the September school holidays, with a terrifying twist. Unlike the original, adrenalin junkies will be harnessed into the deepest depths of the Tower’s lair, facing nothing but a dark void. An eerie silence lasts for just milliseconds before the car blasts backwards rocketing guests out of a 206 metre tunnel at rapid speed.
Hitting up to 161 km/h in just seven seconds, riders soar 100 metre into the atmosphere dangling for several seconds of stomach-churning weightlessness at its peak before plummeting back to earth. However, with Tower of Terror II this plunge is face first.
Dreamworld Chief Executive Noel Dempsey says, “the Tower of Terror has been a rite of passage for almost every Australian teenager and the re-launched ride will build on that terror factor.
“It incorporates three major fears: high speeds, falling from great heights and dark confined spaces.
“Instead of facing the sky, all you see is the ground, first disappearing fast and then rapidly approaching as you plummet towards the tunnel.”
The last chance for guests to ride the original Tower of Terror will be Wednesday 18th August.

Not a lot to say to that really... Mental Aussies...

Ben

CF Legend
Epic.

That's the sort of thing we've all thought about them doing, but, never thought they WOULD. Awesome. I hope Superman does the same thing...

RCF

Strata Poster
^There are certainly a lot of people that are thinking Superman might do that and maybe get a big revamp since it won't open back up till 2011 (which is when I'm going :p)

Tony

Hyper Poster
If it did that back in February, I would have actually bothered to go down the road to Dreamworld :p . Seriously though this sounds like an awesome enhancement to the ride and hopefully Superman gets the same treatment.

Lofty

CF Legend
Sounds amazing. It's be fantastic to be staring at the floor 'floating' that high up. I'd love a go!

nadroJ

CF Legend
Won't it be uncomfortable to be launched backwards at such a speed? Surely you'll be flung into your restraints?

Nic

Strata Poster
Yeah, if the launch is the same as on Superman, I don't think it'll be the end of the world. Jordan makes an interesting point though. Will they re-vamp the restraints with some extra padding or something? However long it takes to get up to top speed, the initial launch will be a bit uncomfortable otherwise.

Dave

CF Legend
It's quite slow, seem to remember it takes a while, letmee find a POV......

Aha!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnJaZWQBpN4[/youtube]

Takes about 8 seconds.

marc

CF Legend
I think it will be better going backwards tbh as going forwards on the one in Magic Mountain was rubbish, maybe that is what they are doing to their one as its down for a re theme at the moment.

CMonster

Giga Poster
Haha, that's awesome. I can't imagine being 300+ feet above the ground and just staring straight down.

If SFMM does this, though, they should keep one going forwards... just because. :p

A

Anonymous

Tot is about the same speed.

I like the new idea. The theme of an acoplyapse is awsome and going backwards makes it feel like your are in the end

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Wow, looks nice.
What's next? Personally, I'd love to see a controlled spin on the way back down.

A

Anonymous

Done

It over, got my final ride. So many memories, so much whiplash. I actually glad that its going :arrow: now. Another first for Dreamworl :idea:

Gazza

Giga Poster
nadroJ said:
Won't it be uncomfortable to be launched backwards at such a speed? Surely you'll be flung into your restraints?
But the same 'fling foward' forces are already generated when the ride brakes on the way back to the station (has to slow down in the same amount of horizontal space it accelerates in), but as people have mentioned earlier, its a pretty tame launch anyway.
Reportedly its getting the standard intamin OTSRs anyway.

The face first plunge is the part I'm really looking foward too though, especially when at the bottom you'll drop down into the launch tunnel (Hopefully it will get something similar to Oblivion, with smoke at the tunnel entrance)

The launch has already been enclosed (have been doing that progressively for a couple of months) and you can see pics of it here:
http://www.parkz.com.au/photo_update/ge ... ror_17.jpg
http://www.parkz.com.au/update/2010/06/ ... -2010.html

The ride is currently down for a month while they do the changeover....Hopefully the queue area will get a re-theme because its a bit of a dump at the moment.