What's new

Armenia PTR

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Seeing as it’s almost December, and this trip was back in August, I’ll get it finished off.

Armenia Day 1

I was going to Yerevan (the capital of Armenia – nope, I’d never heard of it before either) from Tbilisi by bus since it made a bit more sense than flying such a short distance. Ugh. I got to the bus station at a stupid time in the morning, with no other people around and nothing open. I had some online booking thing, but the information was a bit wrong. The bus I’d booked was actually a s**ty little minibus and picked up from the car park of a hotel opposite the actual bus station. Not best pleased, but at least there were only three other passengers, so there was room to spread out a bit.

Then there was the border crossing. This was the main overland crossing between the two countries, but there was no ATM, nowhere to pick up a local sim card and the money changers wouldn’t take Georgian currency despite EVERYONE using that crossing coming in from Georgia. They wouldn’t take pounds either, and I didn’t bother trying Hong Kong dollars .Luckily, I had a few euros on me to get a bit of cash before I could get to an ATM.

About an hour away from the final stop (this was around a 6-hour ride despite being sold as less than five), I suddenly got really ill, having to get the bus to stop so that I could puke at the side of the road. I’ve never been travel/car sick, so thought maybe it was that for the first time. Nope.

By the time I got to the hotel, I was shaking, puking more and in a state of delirium. The front desk bint seemed a bit concerned, but I just said I was hungover rather than risk not being allowed to check in. I just climbed into bed for “a couple of hours” at around 2pm, and woke up at 1pm the next day.

Great 1st day in Armenia then.

Armenia Day 2

I woke up at 1pm. The puking was over, but now here come the s**ts. Yay! I always carry Imodium with me when I travel, so that was easily “fixed” at least and meant I could get out and do stuff. I’m not one to self-diagnose stuff, but everything about it suggested a stomach virus (couldn’t have been food poisoning since it was much too long between eating something and the puking happening).

Yerevan was pretty small, and had three small parks to cred whore. These were all walkable from the hotel, though in different directions, so it was easy to see the city while getting to them. I’d planned to work in a circle and do all three, but ended up using the hotel as a “Disney Castle” hub and taking short breaks between each one since I was feeling rotten.

There wasn’t much to see on the way to the first place since it was out and away from the main stuff. It was only a 15-minute walk or so anyway.

FEVIixR.jpg

Mankakan Erkatughi

I came close to not bothering when I saw the place and realized that I’d have walk back up again.

ZyrJpRk.jpg

However, I’m such a little trooper that it had to be done for the +1.

ytFhhv5.jpg

MUFeIp9.jpg

frFM5U0.jpg

i6Zm2vB.jpg

Like I said before, I went back to the hotel for a quick break and then headed back out to one of the bigger parks. This one was near the top of the main tourist attraction in Yerevan, the Yerevan Cascade, which is basically a big staircase which also acts as an indoor/outdoor art gallery.

LAwNeom.jpg

5A8Vj6D.jpg

zX4SmF1.jpg

pgfhcp7.jpg

RrjcbHB.jpg

AZHGNJ2.jpg

I later found out, after climbing all the way up the f**king thing, that there are escalators inside. Fuming. It looks ok from the bottom, but when you get to the “top” you realise that the top actually isn’t finished, and has been sitting as a construction site since the ‘80s. Gorgeous!

43cDyGo.jpg

o9p59RK.jpg

ZE7ACF4.jpg

y9v53p3.jpg

uIak9tL.jpg

Jut2kzD.jpg

It’s all a bit Soviet at the top, with the park being a few minutes’ walk from there.

y3x0cT5.jpg

x5Hb8l2.jpg

Haghtanak Park

F**k knows why RCDB don’t just call this Victory Park since that’s the translation. This place had a bit more to it than I was expecting, with a fair few flat rides of dubious origin.

Uv0TlkJ.jpg

1nc5YiU.jpg

8aZeoRa.jpg

KwzGkNb.jpg

5J2hDiG.jpg

rOSSe8x.jpg

vrabNSb.jpg

My3IMmu.jpg

I was trying to figure out where I’d seen this type of Ferris wheel before.

3uZasm4.jpg

XFpIaCf.jpg

xXqZYVR.jpg

drveUjf.jpg

Yen9Rl0.jpg

I realized later that it was just outside Chernobyl:

YFtgxBS.jpg

XCo7J8V.jpg

3d5rKnu.jpg

Onto the cred. There’s just one listed here: Cobra. It’s only small, but was actually not bad with some decent speed to it.

LNFYkxX.jpg

LC2jEIH.jpg

rdzwtWn.jpg

8aYGuWZ.jpg

S2wrw3P.jpg

sL6D9Jc.jpg

They also had one of these shuttle things which RCDB doesn’t list, but I count. It was closed though.

WOroSJH.jpg

CU9nhxw.jpg

The there was this next thing, which was also closed, but definitely one for the “Is it a cred?” discussion. I’d have been strongly tempted to count it had it been open. I’ve seen similar types of rides which I wouldn’t count since they don’t really go up or down, just move in a circle, but this one was pretty much just a much bigger Go-Gator.

CL1lYfa.jpg

h9WL1GS.jpg

v25mnfI.jpg

mKkdlWM.jpg

FouJF7y.jpg

S0gNZpz.jpg

As before, it was back to the hotel for a break, back the way I’d come, before heading out to the final park, which was also the closest and didn’t involve any f**king hills.

R2SL4iS.jpg

baMkfi5.jpg

Oy0eWFh.jpg

8bkBDUE.jpg

3gmKWe2.jpg

AAKs2OX.jpg

mqA0zVM.jpg

bD4TpDv.jpg

8ZZh8eg.jpg

Luna Park

This place was pretty much what you’d expect: a small amusement park right in the city.

sYkzZCJ.jpg

8wEJ8HH.jpg

r2sv7m2.jpg

CIUBQCH.jpg

N9kQNrP.jpg

z5sVqLm.jpg

aUXR9fk.jpg

6nPus7i.jpg

There was just one cred here. RCDB has it with three spinning cars, but those have since been replaced with one single “pirate ship” car instead.

4gqB6AK.jpg

MHKxZRJ.jpg

6A0RHcB.jpg

zjXjWLx.jpg

And that’s Yerevan. Meh. It doesn’t help that I was feeling like s**te, but after really liking every other place on this trip, it was definitely a lowlight. It also doesn’t help that this was the last place to visit. If I’d started here, I probably would’ve liked it a lot more.

Armenia Day 3

I had the whole day free the next day (late flight out) and had seen the city while heading back and to between the hotel and parks, so ended up booking a car and driver for the day through some travel agency (they only did group tours a couple of days a week) to get out and see some other tourist stuff.

Tourist stuff in Armenia just means old churches on hills, and it was nice, but I’d done all that in Georgia, which, in general, had a much more impressive landscape. There was also a cable car up to the final place which was decent. I’m just going to dump pictures in. There were three places visited, but all pretty far from each other, so it took about 10 hours if I remember correctly.

First church on hill (with Mount Ararat in the background):

LDM9ZQZ.jpg

SQKElrK.jpg

cqfPvgZ.jpg

n4X7TUE.jpg

rTHs526.jpg

QA0usAB.jpg

wSmW6lx.jpg

KtbDp8g.jpg

UMr7ExM.jpg

iBae1yQ.jpg

ZJ2eXUH.jpg

Second church on hill – probably the nicest one:

eipOjmo.jpg

rTHs526.jpg

zANr7f8.jpg

wLsrV1W.jpg

qftNahn.jpg

EcP78xi.jpg

UKyO6bl.jpg

8pv3fGV.jpg

KRi6YTr.jpg

u7L6TSp.jpg

kqSyJBz.jpg

fjkm2nz.jpg

GXScCsT.jpg

pyFKxeB.jpg

D3zSyzt.jpg

9w6bJd7.jpg

3zM9ymx.jpg

KoUO8UD.jpg

dDjIqYb.jpg

oyNQPg3.jpg

77GahSD.jpg

caaC4Yf.jpg

XpofaBB.jpg

Third church on hill – via cablecar:

SOXAGEa.jpg

amAocJ2.jpg

4KSnkwm.jpg

2dC6QH7.jpg

f1MQZoW.jpg

HfsUsq8.jpg

VT9Cr5G.jpg

LzlfQ1b.jpg

aHk7x4o.jpg

WPktyp7.jpg

U8URurY.jpg

Kcb6t9k.jpg

VLtxGMZ.jpg

gquXz2k.jpg

06OJWuN.jpg

1yvlJCD.jpg

5D4j6MS.jpg

mSIJaCy.jpg

kfGLO0h.jpg

tcFoPzR.jpg

8871bZT.jpg

ErUlMpY.jpg

P1YG9J5.jpg

And that’s that summer trip finally f**king done.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^Indeed. Soldiering on with the pukes and the squits - impressive. Respect to you, Sir.

Those pictures from Chernobyl, are they yours? You been? :eek:

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Indeed. Soldiering on with the pukes and the squits - impressive. Respect to you, Sir.

Those pictures from Chernobyl, are they yours? You been? :eek:
Yeah, can't remember exactly when, but would've been somewhere from 2011 to 2013. There'll be a report in here somewhere, but probably with broken image links since I used to use Photobucket and they decided to be c**nts and charge.

Haven't looked into them for ages; hope they've gone bust.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Yeah, can't remember exactly when, but would've been somewhere from 2011 to 2013.

That's pretty cool that is Gavin, would love to go there one day. Any... erm, 'side effects'? Super powers? Grown any new 'bits'? ?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
That's pretty cool that is Gavin, would love to go there one day. Any... erm, 'side effects'? Super powers? Grown any new 'bits'?
Almost nothing if you ignore the inoperable brain tumour.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

cocoa

Mega Poster
what do you do that allows you to ride so many wacky worms in so many strange places??

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
what do you do that allows you to ride so many wacky worms in so many strange places??
Gavin has a trick, that he doesn't share often, but it explains why he's able to take all these trips: He books flights to these places and gets stuck in.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Gavin has a trick, that he doesn't share often, but it explains why he's able to take all these trips: He books flights to these places and gets stuck in.

Pretty much that. Decide on a new country to go to. Book flights and hotels. Go.