What's new

Are there any "old hat" coaster elements that you're sad to see going out of fashion?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. If you surveyed a group of coaster enthusiasts, I'm sure that most would agree that we are currently at the zenith of all-time roller coaster design. With manufacturers growing ever more ambitious in their layout design, and cramming airtime and wacky angles into places they've never been crammed before, the current wave of new coasters that have been built in the last few years are arguably some of the most revered coasters ever built. Most seem to agree that the average quality of new coasters built is at its highest ever and still growing, with newer coasters generally being more highly rated than their older counterparts. However, the ever-progressing nature of coaster design does raise questions (for me, at least) about some of the elements being left in the past. I do wonder whether some of these elements being left behind may actually be somewhat sad losses for the industry, and whether some of these elements being left behind had elements of brilliance about them that a newer counterpart doesn't quite replicate. With that in mind, my question to you today is; are there any "old hat" coaster elements that you're sad to see going out of fashion?

I'll get the ball rolling with my answer.

Off the top of my head, I can name one, perhaps two.

The main one I think of is hydraulic launches. Yes, they aren't as flexible as LSMs. Yes, they aren't as reliable as LSMs. Yes, LSM technology can still create a good, punchy launch. However, I do think that a good hydraulic launch provides a raw thrill that no LSM technology can quite match, from my experience. Hydraulic launches have a certain euphoria and raw feeling of limitless acceleration to them that no LSM I've yet ridden has quite matched. Granted, some of the punchier LSM launches like Blue Fire's don't do badly at all, but there's just something rather magical about a good hydraulic launch that an LSM launch can't quite muster, in my view. I'll admit to being slightly sad that hydraulic launches were consigned to being a 2000s fad rather than something with longevity, and while I'm very excited to see what Cedar Point do with Top Thrill Dragster, I'll admit to being gutted that I was never able to experience it in its original hydraulic form, and slightly sad that its hydraulic launch is almost definitely a goner.

Another one I think of is arguably not "old hat" per se, as plenty of rides still utilise them, but I'd also argue that large, straight, sustained airtime hills (camelbacks) are going out of fashion somewhat, and it makes me a little sad. Don't get me wrong, the outerbanks and stalls and such often replacing them look sublime, and are undeniably more imaginative, but from my end, there is still something truly euphoric about a big, straight, sustained airtime hill. B&M Hyper Coasters still do them in large quantities, but they are built somewhat less often these days, and while hypers from the likes of Intamin and Mack do occasionally still have a big camelback or two in their layouts, big sustained camelbacks are far less prevalent within Intamin and Mack layouts than they were a decade or so ago, with all the fancy new twisty bits and inversions taking their place. Don't get me wrong, I fully support the new fluid age of coaster design, and I think that the new funky elements look absolutely sublime in their own right. Nevertheless, I still think that a good old-fashioned big sustained camelback delivers a truly sublime sensation, and it does make me sad to see that the hyper layouts and such full to the brim with straight camelbacks appear to be dying out somewhat, or at very least decreasing in prevalence when it comes to new build rides.

But are there any "old hat" coaster elements that you are sad to see going out of fashion as coaster design progresses?

Last edited:

Indy

Hyper Poster
Does anyone ever really see circular loops really being a thing now? With RMC having a dislike for them and every manufacturer under the sun trying to outdo them, a good old fashion circular loop is now seen as boring and not fun.
To be fair, they were boring and not fun even before RMC came along. 😆

In all seriousness, you're right in that they've become much less common, but I frankly see that as a good thing. They simply became too overdone. It felt like every looping coaster was required to have an obligatory loop. It grew to be unimaginative in my eyes. I was frankly thrilled when Hydra emerged as a 7 inversion coaster without a vertical loop. It felt so creative and less cookie cutter.

But to answer your question, I actually do see it coming back in vogue to a degree, particularly as designers are getting funkier with it. In the last 5-6 years, we've been seeing companies, notably Mack and Gerslauer, start to truly go circular and provide some wild hang time in a loop which I personally love. Even Vekoma is throwing them into some of their layouts. The loop in Abyssus wasn't anything particular special, but it didn't necessarily feel boring as it is well placed in the layout and is literally the only standard loop in the entire park.

And to answer the original question of the thread... not really. I generally like the direction that roller coaster design has been heading in the last 10 years. I have some slight concerns that certain elements or ride types might start to be phased out, but nothing is to a point where I truly believe anything is being put out to the pasture.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Does anyone ever really see circular loops really being a thing now? With RMC having a dislike for them and every manufacturer under the sun trying to outdo them, a good old fashion circular loop is now seen as boring and not fun.
Both of Copperhead Strike's loops are circular:
1668389673423.png
1668389692606.png
To be honest, I suspect this circular shaping was a byproduct of the loops being taken at low speeds - both are around 55ft/15m high, similar in size to the old Schwarzkopf loops - rather than park request. MACK's larger loops - namely the ones on Flash/Hyper Coaster and Beyond the Cloud - are all elliptical shaped.

Adding onto the topic, I'd love to see wooden coaster layouts emphasize sustained airtime over quick pops - think CCI-style layouts but with more banking and improved structure. As a whole, GCI and Gravity Group's new layouts prioritize fast pacing, lots of directional changes and brief airtime moments - while they're certainly fun to ride, I significantly prefer sustained airtime over quick bursts. I feel that even a few moments of sustained floater air add lots of substance to a coaster, much more than a series of brief airtime pops do.

Aside from that though, I'm a huge fan of the direction layouts have been headed in over the past decade - can't wait to see more swing launches, airtime at wacky angles and well-rounded variety packages!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I do quite like a good, old fashioned vertical loop and while I don't necessarily want to see more of them, I certainly don't want to see them phased out for good. In creating varied, exciting, well paced layouts with a good mixture of forces and elements, the vertical loop is just as valid as any other tool in the box and in my opinion can sit quite happily alongside all these new fangled, fancy manoeuvres like wave turns, trick tracks, step-up underflips and double inverting corner stalls.

James F

Hyper Poster
I think lateral forces have become less popular over time, granted that is most likely due to them being unconfutable for some, however I think some coasters are missing out of having unbanked/slightly banked turns. They often make coasters feel that bit more aggressive, although on some larger coasters it possibly puts more stress on the track and supports.

EmmaUK

Mega Poster
I miss the old chain lifts. Nothing like the click click click of the anti rollback to build the anticipation. If anything some of the new cable lifts are too quick as they don't allow you to really appreciate just how high up you are. Take I305 - the cable has you over the top before you're able to think "holy f$%&, that's a long way down"

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
No so much going out of fashion, but de-prioritized:

• Cobra Roll - Absolutely favorite inversion type; we still see one or two deployed, but definitely not considered a pinnacle inversion as it used to be.
  • Overbanked Curves - Outer banked turns are definitely all the rage, but at the cost of nice, high-speed overbanked turns (thinking the likes of Domination, Maverick's Stengel, etc.)
  • Good ol' Corkscrew/Flatspins - again, another simple inversion that when done well is a great, popping inversion.

I will also say, beyond-vertical-drops felt like it was a bit out of vogue, but it's been great to see Intamin re-injecting them back into their Blitz coasters.

Efteldingus

Mega Poster
Not so much a ''wish they were still used'' element, since they rarely were in the first place, but I'd love to see a Sea Serpent Roll used in a new layout. I absolutely love that element, the one on Xpress Platform 13 might even be my favourite element in Walibi Holland *runs for cover*

For some reason the Sidewinder also comes to mind, not really sure why as I don't think I've ever been on a sit down coaster that features one.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Not so much a ''wish they were still used'' element, since they rarely were in the first place, but I'd love to see a Sea Serpent Roll used in a new layout. I absolutely love that element, the one on Xpress Platform 13 might even be my favourite element in Walibi Holland *runs for cover*

For some reason the Sidewinder also comes to mind, not really sure why as I don't think I've ever been on a sit down coaster that features one.
FWIW, Steel Curtain has a massive string of inversions, including a great Sea Serpent. The second inversion is slightly smaller than the first, so packs some great, accelerating g-force and airtime throughout.

Archie

Mega Poster
Vertical Loops - I think they look great.
i agree, vertical loops have to be the most iconic and recognisable element of any coaster that has one

I may get shouted at for saying this. but with a lot of manufacturers now opting for lapbars and vest restraints. I'm kind of sad to see the traditional old bulky plastic and rubber OTSR fading out of popularity (Especially the old B&M ones, they are perfection)

Heth

Mega Poster
I may get shouted at for saying this. but with a lot of manufacturers now opting for lapbars and vest restraints. I'm kind of sad to see the traditional old bulky plastic and rubber OTSR fading out of popularity (Especially the old B&M ones, they are perfection)

Agreed, there's something nostalgic about the act of pulling down on those chunky B&M restraints and that ratcheting sound...kind of like smelling theme park water.

An element I wish would come back is the straight drop. I'm a man of simple pleasures, a big straight drop is one of them.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Going back to the Reel...again...one of the best old coaster "elements" was zero restraint...no belts, bars, nothing but a handrail round the back of the seat.
Lots of people ended up in the lap of a friendly stranger.
Never complained.

jay37415

Mega Poster
One of my favorite elements that was gone for a while but seems to be making a comeback is the "Batwing." Especially on an invert. Three coasters built since 2021 have one but you have to go all the way back to Afterburn in 1999 for the last new coaster to have one.

Ries

Mega Poster
Another one I think of is arguably not "old hat" per se, as plenty of rides still utilise them, but I'd also argue that large, straight, sustained airtime hills (camelbacks) are going out of fashion somewhat, and it makes me a little sad.

I am very happy that a 'recent' addition to Toverland (NL) was a B&M Wing Coaster (Fēnix) with a large camelback. Although the element not mentioned on RCDB.
Really do love this element on this coaster. And indeed hope these don't go away.

maxresdefault-332588241.jpeg
The one in the back of course 😅 Picture from Youtube Channel of the Dutch Website with the ooooo.

Inverting_Thrills

Mega Poster
I'm definitely quite sad to Double Corkscrews go out of fashion. I know they're still on a lot of knockoff Arrow Loopers in China but beyond that Double Corkscrews have only been found on the Intamin 10 inversion model. I personally love the old Arrow ones, even though they can be a bit bumpy, there is just something really special about how you go through them that I just love.

Christian

Hyper Poster
I am a huge sucker for of B&M floorless coasters and some later B&M stand-ups. I really love those huge classic elements. Nowadays you never see such a brilliant layout as Meduza or Scream! anymore. A huge 128 foot tall vertical loop, a 96 foot tall dive loop, a zero-g roll, and a 78 foot tall cobra roll rounded off with a set of interlocking corkscrews. What more do you need for a brilliantly fun ride?

Todays coasters always want to stand out, not even B&M does these "plain" layouts anymore.