What's new

Are Japan's parks affected?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
From what we've seen of the destruction, I'd be very surprised if they weren't affected. Having said that, I don't know how bad the damage is.

Still, to quite honest, the damaged caused to the parks is nothing in comparison to what's happened elsewhere.

Lofty

CF Legend
To be honest, Fuji-Q should be ok. It's in a lot higher ground then say Nagashima Spaland. The Earthquake ay have caused slight damage to it, but I doubt by much.

Nagashima Spaland on the other hand, that MAY have got some kind of flood damage due to it's location.

Artichoke

Mega Poster
Well thinking back on what's all happened, it would seem like there would be some sort of damage. But I also agree with Lofty. It is on a much higher ground. So, it's definitely a 40 50 chance.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
No idea, but I should think some parks are affected, along with every thing else in Japan!!

Have a video of Tokyo Disney during the quake, courtesy of Screamscape (apparently no real damage there). It shows staff giving out teddies to frightened children - everyone say awwwwwww

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ7Eyzc8mv4[/youtube]

A

Anonymous

Some got stuck at Disneyland overnight due to no transport from the park, Tokyo Disney is going to be closed for a week due to inspection of the rides, and I would guess that other parks would do similar things.
There are 2 small parks along the eastern coast that most likely got caught in the Tsunami (their web pages just say that they are closed for inspections at this point), and would wither be closed for some more extensive time or shut down for good. Only time will tell...

Fuji-Q is pretty far inland and also a long way from the epicentre of the quake so it should be all right, maybe closed a few days for inspections. Nagashima Spaland is even further away but on the coast, so I would guess that they could be affected by some smaller Tsunamis. Either park haven't written anything (that I can see) on their web-pages...

marc

CF Legend
I was reading today that Disney will remain shut until there is no longer power and water shortages.

Everyone in the park was well looked after and the staff have been praised.

The land needs checking as the park was built on landfill and this is what caused the flooding there. Even if the rides are ok they need to make sure the ground is.

It is all low priority stuff tbh, it will re open when it does.

Lofty

CF Legend
Yeah, I agree with Marc. I think a lot of the parks out there will be more focused on their country rather then revenue at this time. I mean, with all that's going on, not a lot of the population will actually be able to afford/be able to get to the parks. The actual tourism of Japan may have taken a small de-tour until most of this is sorted out.

jack.bell

Mega Poster
/\ i was thinking that. surely the horrific plight of the people who live there is more important than the rides.

However to keep on topic i imagine all the rides will be okay especially the rollercoasters because as they are built in japan they almost definatly will have to be earthquake proof.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Pierre said:
10,000 plus people are dead but I hope the rides are OK!

Less queues bruv!

Crap jokes aside - an enormous natural disaster, thousands of deaths and a nuclear power plant on the verge of going into meltdown are pretty damn important compared to whether a few theme parks have been forced to close.

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, but, we can still DISCUSS the parks right... I mean, this is a theme park website, that is what we DO.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Tomatron said:
Crap jokes aside - an enormous natural disaster, thousands of deaths and a nuclear power plant on the verge of going into meltdown are pretty damn important compared to whether a few theme parks have been forced to close.

Tell that to Jerry - he had a ****ing massive go at me in the main topic about asking for the topic title (and the "main" discussion point of the topic) to be changed as a mark of respect to those affected. I know he didn't mean it in a bad way or target me specifically, but it really was quite something for Jerry and I was shocked as it was so unlike him.

Anyway, I would add to this conversation, but even as an enthusiast, the lives of the Japanese population as a whole are far more important to me than a few parks or coasters.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Yeeeeah, I don't see the issue with discussing the parks either. Yes, we know it's a huge disaster, go to the actual topic.

I wonder if the quake effected any rides in motion at the time?

peep

CF Legend
I don't see what the big deal is either. Obviously it's a horrible thing that has happened in Japan and it's very sad seeing the images of the wreckage etc. However I am intrigued as to what happened with the structures at a park that is near the main damage zone. For example, would the coaster structures be able to hack the intensity of the quake?

Tomatron

Giga Poster
At no point did I say that we couldn't talk about them!

As a couple of people mentioned before, and as is pretty much standard in any developed country situated on a major faultline, there should be some pretty rigorous checks to make sure there's been no damage caused.

I'm gutted that Fuji-Q is still standing. Not even Mount Fuji will wake up and smother it.

Ollie

CF Legend
^^I agree. I did think the same as Ciall though and thought that it would be a bit more respectful to have a general topic about the disaster before worrying about the rides and parks. But now we have a topic for each it's all fine.

Anyway......
I wonder how long it'll take to get the parks back to normal. I don't know how badly they've been affected but checking the ground and all the rides must take a while. And the ones that have loads of water damage will take even longer to get everything sorted as obviously the park and rides aren't built to withstand that type of thing.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Yeah, I'd have thought making the general areas of the park safe again will take the longest amount of time. Sure, each coaster (and attraction) has to be rigorously checked, but I'd have thought the clean-up and rebuilding of the main parts of the park (restaurants, shops, paths, everything) will really take the time. Especailly if entire buildings have been destroyed.