What's new

Any cloned coasters that you like more than the original?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. I was just looking at some construction photos of the Hulk-style B&M being built at Universal Studios Beijing, and I was thinking how it looked to be a huge improvement on the original Hulk in Orlando; the profiling looks a lot smoother, there looks to be far more detailed theming on the newer ride from what we’ve seen so far and on the whole, I personally like the look of it a lot more from what I’ve seen. So that got me thinking; I know most seem to think that the original is always the favourite in this kind of scenario (not just in terms of coasters, either), but are there any cloned coasters that you like more than the original ride they were based on?

The only example I can think of off the top of my head is Monster at Walygator Parc, which often gets far more praise than Raptor at Cedar Point, which it was based off of.

But are there any clones you like more than the original coaster?

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
With Walibi Holland's Condor being the first SLC and often considered the worst, any other SLC must count here...

Most other clones tend to give very similar experiences so picking a favourite is difficult.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Some of the newer Batman the Ride clones are better than the SFGam one (that I do love) but B&M did tweak the layouts over the years (most notably with the corkscrews being much lower)

SLCs and Boomers are the obvious choice but that also comes down to the rolling stock or attentiveness of maintenance. (Like how SFNEs SLC is almost...enjoyable now? Or while with old trains both big Vekomas at Wild Adventures have always run above average)

Both of the Paramount Hurlers ran completely different, despite being clones, but I guess when it comes to wood coasters there's a far greater chance of variability. (Always found the Caro one to be garbage where as you could hit the KD one on a good day)

Nick13

Mega Poster
The Monster / Raptor comparison is interesting. I rode Monster last year after doing Raptor in 2018 and was blown away by it. It’s literally dumped in an overgrown field with faded paint, but the ride experience was so good. I was surprised by how smooth it rode and the lack of a MCBR led to a very forceful ending.

I enjoyed it way more than I remembered Raptor at CP, but also put this partially down to CP being full of great coasters and having such high expectations there. When you’re at a park of the “quality” of Walygator and compared to its other rides, Monster stands out as an incredible ride experience!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It's not exactly a clone, but I massively preferred Euro Express at Romon-U Park to Kanonen, which I hated.

It has a lift hill instead of a launch, which you would think would make it the lesser coaster, but it somehow isn't. I guess the restraints (lapbars) make a big difference as well.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

cookie

Giga Poster
I prefer the Singapore version of Revenge of the Mummy to the Florida one, mostly because I like the theming more. I really enjoy both, though.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I prefer the Singapore version of Revenge of the Mummy to the Florida one, mostly because I like the theming more. I really enjoy both, though.
I always forget that Singapore's is an Orlando clone, but I agree with you. The better theming (including the whole area around it) definitely elevates it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

toofpikk

Mega Poster
Surprised no one has bought up Altair/Colossus. In fact all the different generations of this ride (the one in Brazil I have no idea the name of that has the helix instead of the extra 2 barrel rolls). Would be interesting to hear someone who has ridden all the different versions of that model comment on their strengths and weaknesses comparatively!

oriolat2

Giga Poster
- Batman La Fuga is so much better than the original Batman at SFGAm, both as far as themeing goes and also ride experience.
- Speed of Sound. Not just a better boomerang. The best one by far.
- Piraten. Granted I have only ridden this and Kawasemi but as a final product Piraten has a much more finished look and ride experience.
- Sky Screamer at Holiday park is just so cool with the haunted-like queue area plus it's forceful and smooth as glass.
- Any 10-inversion Intamin clone must be better than Colossus, which feels like being on a supermarket cart pushed by a bunch of teens. Drunk.

Bentleya

Mega Poster
It's not exactly a clone, but I massively preferred Euro Express at Romon-U Park to Kanonen, which I hated.

I’m not overly surprised, I didn’t get a chance to ride Kanonen and I haven’t ridden Euro Express either; however looking through some photos and on ride footage - the location of Euro Express with the built up tower bridge and other facades makes Euro Express look quite exciting and I think the lift hill over the launch actually suits the layout better.

Nick13

Mega Poster
Ok I have never heard of Euro Express before but just looked it up on RCDB, wow... It took me a second glance to realise some of the pictures were of the actual ride and not a model, that’s some very cool themeing!