What's new

Another Fairground fatality

Martyn B

CF Legend
Just heard on the news that a woman has died after being thrown from a fairground ride outside the O2 arena in Dublin...

Edit:

A woman attending a Britney Spears concert in Dublin has died after falling from a fairground ride.

The 31-year-old is understood to have been on the ride outside the O2 arena when she was thrown to the ground last night.

Gardaí said the incident happened at around 11.20pm.

It is believed the woman died instantly and her body was removed from the scene. She had been at the concert earlier in the evening.

The area outside the venue has been sealed off ahead of a forensic examination by Garda technical experts.

Officers at Store Street have launched an inquiry. The Health and Safety Authority has also been asked to investigate the death.

It is understood there were a number of fairground rides outside O2 for the event.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingne ... 25689.html

Martyn B

CF Legend
Looks like this may have been the ride, but I cant quite work out what it is:

00052596-314.jpg

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
RIP.

How exactly would have she fell out if gravity and a lap bar was keeping her in?

Unless she slid across the car and got thrown out over the side of the car.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Perhaps the lap bar failed?

Or, more probably, the bar which was attatched to the car snapped and the woman died whilst still in the car?

I don't know and I suppose there'll be more news soon.

This really doesn't do anything to the image of theme parks, however at least it wasn't a coaster or a flat ride built by a well known company...

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
^2 things:

1. It said she fell out and died instantly
2. She would have also been held in by gravity by the ride.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
^It said she had been thrown onto the ground...but kinda same thing...

What I was trying to get at was that the car she was in actually fell whilst she was in it and perhaps the restraint failed so she did 'fall to the ground'

And for the second theory, gravity wouldn't have held her if she was leaning...

They're just theories and it really doesn't matter...

Tony

Hyper Poster
Oh god thats horrible news!! I was at the concert last night so this must have happened just after I left. It's a shame such a good night ended in tragedy :( . Horrible day for Dublin yesterday as it was affected by severe rainfall and flooding which caused 2 other deaths.

Ben

CF Legend
Tony said:
I was at the concert last night so this must have happened just after I left. It's a shame such a good night ended in tragedy .

Homo.

And I guess the ground hit her one more time...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Tony said:
Oh god thats horrible news!!

I know, it happened AFTER the concert! I'd have been gutted.

Those rides can fling you about a bit I think. If she was leaning forwards and the bar gave way or something then she could have easily slipped out.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Here's a video of one of these things, doing an e-stop apparently... looks pretty scary to me!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjTW8okqHDY[/youtube]

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
That video was actually scary to watch.

I wonder if the ride had a fault and slowed down awkwardly, lowering the g-force, causing her to fall out?

Eugh. Vile looking ride and what a horrid accident. Strange that she died instantly I think. The ride doesn't look that tall... Maybe she was indeed thrown forcefully.

Eugh.

Josh73

Giga Poster
How far was she thrown? I am really suprised she died at impact.

Horrible news. RIP.
Fairgrounds should really inspect their rides more often. These accidents seem to come more, and more often.

Idlewild

Mega Poster
Martyn B said:
Here's a video of one of these things, doing an e-stop apparently... looks pretty scary to me!

That has to be one of the most horrifying pov's I have ever seen. It took ages to stop, looked like the ride would tear itself apart there. Horrible e-stop procedure.

Rankle07

Roller Poster
that video is awfull.

i must admit, about 5 years back when i was at the local fair, a woman fell out of a crazy shake ride. i didnt get to see what happened as i was on the ride next to it at the time. but after that i have never been to a traveling fair ride again. Also my last few visits to thorpe park and alton towers i have not been on any flat rides.

ambernicole92

Roller Poster
Martyn B said:

i would never ride this, oh my god.

i love going to fairs, but honestly i try to avoid the ones that go high because incidents like that one make me even more terrified to go on them.