What's new

Animal Kingdom vs Islands of Adventure

Better park?

• Total voters

ThemeParkHistorian

Roller Poster
Both are arguably the two best theme parks in Orlando, and are both excellent parks respectively. Both parks have fantastic rides and incredible theming. Islands has better rides, but AK has better theming I feel. Which is the better park? Discuss.​

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Not much to discuss, unless you're a Disney fanboy. IoA has more and better coasters as well as more to do generally (Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Marvel, Seuss, etc.). If it's the animals, then IoA would also lose to BGT (which might be a better comparison).

Matt N

CF Legend
I admit I’d have to plump for Islands of Adventure here; as much as I loved Animal Kingdom, Islands of Adventure just does it for me like no other park I’ve ever been to!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I haven't done Animal Kingdom (or any of Disney in Florida, for that matter... #basic), but however nice it looks I have a hard time thinking I'd pick that over Islands of Adventure.

Especially with Velocicoaster opening - there's not even a discussion anymore.

EmmaUK

Mega Poster
I'm going to go the other way from everyone above here and go for Animal Kingdom.

Whilst IOA is undoubtedly an amazing park, it feels very transient. Like in 25 years time Animal Kingdom could not have changed and would still remain an amazing day out, whereas it feels like IOA is more of its time. Every day at Animal Kingdom is such an amazing day out. Yes there's not many rides, but in my opinion Flight of Passage beats any screen based ride at IOA, and Expedition Everest, whilst not as thrilling as say the Hulk, is a criminally underrated ride. But Animal Kingdom its the full experience. The uniqueness of Kilimanjaro Safaris. The shows (Lion King is basically West End quality!). The pop up entertainment, African Bands etc. The food - Tiffins must be one of the top in park dining experiences worldwide, and Flame Tree BBQ is awesome. A day at AK always feels so chilled.

Thats not to say IOA isn't good. I find it very good. The rides are excellent. But to me it doesn't wow me in quite the same way as Animal Kingdom.

Heth

Mega Poster
IOA has excellent rides. Animal Kingdom does not have as good rides.

But...

Ask me which one I'd rather spend a full day at and I'll tell you Animal Kingdom. I prefer the atmosphere (chilled, less chaotic) and aesthetics of the place.